Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Political messages in Sigs?

Options
  • 09-08-2004 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Whats the policy on Political Messages in Sigs:

IIRC one cannot pimp one's business in one's sig, does the same apply to political parties?

Not that I have a problem with Mercury_Tilt's political leanings but what if say one were a follower of the BNP?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Pimping stuff in sigs is wrong.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

is that right Dapper? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

ballooba wrote:
    Whats the policy on Political Messages in Sigs:

IIRC one cannot pimp one's business in one's sig, does the same apply to political parties?

Not that I have a problem with Mercury_Tilt's political leanings but what if say one were a follower of the BNP?

The BNP is not an Illegal organisation, and as such where would you draw the line. At parties that arn't main stream, I'd hold hte greens in about as much contempt as I would the BNP, (from an irish stand point, with the BNP having fuk all to do with us.) If someone where to link to stromfont in a sig then that's would be something else.

As for Merc, I nor you really have a clue about his political leanings, his sig doesn't tell us if he's a nice person or not, having met the guy he would seem to be.

Ps people are allowed to pimp in there sigs, one link IIRC

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Pimping businesses is often frowned upon and arouses a lot of people's suspicions, so is not necessarily a wise thing to do. However, there was some guidelines negotiated as part of the web hosting forum before the pimping became infighting and we closed the forum down.

I don't have a problem with political parties being linked to in a manner such as in merc's signature.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I dont have a problem with political parties being linked. I often put quotes from authors I respect or quotes that sum up my views in one way or another better then I could. I align myself with that point of view as do political party sigs. I'd start drawing the line at canvassing.

Right now I have an image link to a new endeavour by the poker forum boards lads, I heartily approve of such spin offs for example. I dont much like commerical sig links because that leads to people spamming forums with "genuine" posts which are really there to promote their sig as much as possible.

Personally I also frown on slagging off another user in your post or linking to their ignore-link. Thats kinda nasty.

Its a matter degrees though, I make a judgement on a case by case basis.

DeV.

ps: go visit www.suitedaces.com :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mercury Tiltswitchs' SF link not something to be proud of but if one objects then switch off sigs. The pages load quicker too.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

mike65 wrote:
    Mercury Tiltswitchs' SF link not something to be proud of but if one objects then switch off sigs. The pages load quicker too.

Mike.

i don't know mike, are you proud of oyur sig, does it make you feel happy, do you bring around friends and family and show it off. Does it give you that warm sticky feeling inside... Sig may be nothing to be proud of, but it's hardly something to be ashamed of either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

sig.jpg

Merc, is that just an unfortunate juxtaposition? ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'm proud of my sig - is that odd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I am unapolagetic in using my signature to promote the political party which i support and am a member of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pebble

I want a ban on people's PC specs in their .sig because they all have different systems to the one I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Always thought Merc's nick was to do with the axial tilt of the planet Mercury.

Perhaps i'm too naiive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I joined the RIRA because of Merc's sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

DeVore wrote:
    or linking to their ignore-link. Thats kinda nasty.

Ha ha! Never heard of that before!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Men with guns are so manly.

I wish I could generate an excuse to carry one and be manly like them. Some kind of "cause" perhaps.

I always thought Merc's SF link was in jest. But that's just me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DapperGent wrote:
    Men with guns are so manly.

I wish I could generate an excuse to carry one and be manly like them.

you could always join a gun club?
    that way you would look very manly as you hung out with other men who lurk around fields/bushes drinking beer and shooting things up....
    rraarrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Look at the size of that dude's hand.

I wouldn't like to meet him in a dark prison cell.

Don't even try to claim that it's your hand Merc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I love that particular type of assault weapon, they always come with free doughnuts around the barrel.

mmmmmmm barrels of doughnuts....

Advertisement