Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable place for Galway accommodation

Options
  • 09-08-2004 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭

Will be moving to Galwy at the end of September to work for a company based in Parkmore East business park. I plan to stay with a friend doing a masters at UCG. The thing is I don't drive but he does.

What areas would be close to both Parkmore East and the University? I would either need to be within walking distance or on a bus route. I'd imagine that he could be a bit farther from the university given that he'll have his car with him. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Live in the city centre. Buses every morn to Parkmore which I think is Number 3( ballybrit bus). Theres a catch. Virtually impossible to get parking in City Centre. If not able consider:
    1- prospect hill, bothar mor
    2 - headford road - (10min walk to eyre square and bus) This is probably you best bet. Loads of brand new apartments. The papers are flooded with them at the moment. Loads of parking too. Its also right beside the university so his commute is tiny.

ps
    You don't wanna live out in Ballybrit/parkmore when in Galway. Near the city is the only way to go

my 2c anyways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

thanks Mighty_Mouse, will take a look at whats availabel in headford. Seems a good spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

arrgh :mad: the other guy now says that he would prefer to stay in the newcastle area. I know I should do this myslef but I'm currently in London and map sof galway seem a bit confusing. Would it be far to go from the Newcastle area to parkmore east business park by bus?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

Newcastle is where the majority of University students live in Galway because its near the uni. Headford is really not far from nexcastle (across the river) but is dam closer to town which is where you be getting the bus from.

Tell him that they have built loads of student accomodation (new campus) in headford road also plus loads of brand new apartments. If you working in parkmore its gonna be a bitch going to work from newcastle.

Newcastle (depending on where in newcastle) is about a 20-25min walk to the bus you will be getting to parkmore. Headford is about 10min.

Basically he is being a prick because Headford is as close to the university as newcastle but newcastle is further from town. Plus he has the car!!!

Personally I'd say stuff him. It should't be too hard find a single room in the city centre which is where all the action is and is easy for you for work. Plus you dont have a car to worry about for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

2 - headford road - (10min walk to eyre square and bus) This is probably you best bet. Loads of brand new apartments.
    Loads of new apartments and they're still building the things at that. Friend of my girlfriend is living in one of the new ones and they're rather nice.
    vorbis wrote:
    thanks Mighty_Mouse, will take a look at whats availabel in headford. Seems a good spot.
    Careful now with distance. Headford Road != Headford. Headford's a few miles away whereas most of the new apartments on the Headford Road are opposite Terryland Dunnes. This is easily within walking distance of town. My missus is living a bit further out past the church, so she's just further than easy walking distance from town (though it suits me as I can just nip up from Limerick and go around the terryland roundabout without ever going near town (which I'll be doing now)).

• Advertisement
Advertisement