Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is most likely to break into the top 4 this season?

• 09-08-2004 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

I have been reading through various season predictions and they only have one thing in common. The fourth spot is different between all of them!

Most people would expect the top 4 to be made up of Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd. There are quite a lot of teams pushing to break their domination now though. You have Newcastle, although they are beset by infighting. Middlesbrough, Birmingham, Charlton, Spurs and Aston Villa have all strengthened.

So the question is, which side do you think is more likely to break into the top four this season? (This isnt about who would drop out of the top 4 IF one of these teams were to make the step up. Please stay on topic!)

Personally, i think the side most likely to break in (as opposed to the others I mentioned) would be Middlesbrough. And its not just that im a fan. We always struggled to score goals, and that was the main thing that meant we drew and lost instead of winning and drawing. Our defense and midfield are solid, and if McClaren can just keep JFH and Viduka fit and talking to each other, then we could have an amazing season.

Who is the most likely to break into the top 4 out of these teams? 28 votes

Aston Villa
    0% 0 votes
    Birmingham
    35% 10 votes
    Charlton
    7% 2 votes
    Middlesbrough
    0% 0 votes
    Newcastle
    7% 2 votes
    Tottenham
    35% 10 votes
    Someone Else
    14% 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Either Spurs or Boro IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Villa, Spurs or Newcastle too close to call really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I like the look of what Spurs are building. There's an awful lot of quality young players being bought and a bit of long overdue balance coming to the team with the departures of Zamora and Postiga and the bringing in of some solid midfielders in Murphy, Brown and Davis. The addition of a quality manager and director of football is also to be praised. The only worry I have for them is whether they can afford all the changes if their books are balanced they really have the look of steady improvement. I think this is one season too early for them but I think they'll be just outside the Champions League spots and I be surprised if they didn't have some good cup runs.

Aston Villa have looked solid under O'Leary but the investment just isn't there. They're being completely outspent by Birmingham City which after the brilliant cost cutting and performance of last season just looks weird. If they get really lucky with injuries I like their chances but with such a thin squad you'd have to be betting against them. They'll do well when they have a full squad though. They've one of the best balanced starting elevens in the premiership and every player seems to know the system.

I reckon Newcastle are the most likely to break into the top four. They have a big quality squad and the players don't lack for motivation. The grumpiness in the squad and the fact that Robson is dead cert to leave at the end of the season mitigate against them their chances for me. I personally see the top four being unchanged with Liverpool making a big improvement and the gap between fourth and fifth being a good 5 points come the end of the season.

I don't think Newcastle will do it but they are the most likely candidates.

I don't give Middlesborough a chance in hell. They're bankrupting themsleves (again) with overpaid (again), old (again) primadonnas (again). Viduka and Hasselbaink are both good strikers (when they're not being ass holes) but they don't have the look of a proper partnership. Paying Reizeger 50,000 a week is just madness. He rejected a great club in Valencia to come to Boro and he didn't do it out of love for the club or ambition just for a payday. Those three players have the disaster that was Ravenelli written all over them (again). They'll be lucky to finish above 10th and could flirt with relagation if they don't start well. Some poor results and I think all the heads will go down. I dunno how Gibson can make exactly the same mistakes twice. Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

I don't give Middlesborough a chance in hell. They're bankrupting themsleves (again) with overpaid (again), old (again) primadonnas (again). Viduka and Hasselbaink are both good strikers (when they're not being ass holes) but they don't have the look of a proper partnership. Paying Reizeger 50,000 a week is just madness. He rejected a great club in Valencia to come to Boro and he didn't do it out of love for the club or ambition just for a payday. Those three players have the disaster that was Ravenelli written all over them (again). They'll be lucky to finish above 10th and could flirt with relagation if they don't start well. Some poor results and I think all the heads will go down. I dunno how Gibson can make exactly the same mistakes twice. Weird.

Valid points I suppose DapperGent. I totally disagree with the signing of Reiziger. He is exactly the sort of player we have had in the past, and that we dont need - an overpriced, foreign mercenary. However, Viduka and JFH are both quality proven strkers who are well capable of scoring the goals for us to progress this season. As you said though, can they make a good partnership? Well they play in different ways, so there is hope.

Ravanelli was a player that scored a lot of goals for us, and fired us to the brink of success. It wasnt his fault that we failed, just that the rest of the squad bar our super-signings was pretty old, slow and not really up to it. Anyway, now im off topic :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I like the look of Villa. I think they can improve on last year and have a good team spirit and know each other well. If they can get a good start then the added confidence will do them well

Hyzepher

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Birmingham have invested poorly by spending too much on average players, Heskey and Gronjkaer cost 8 million combined whereas Villa spent 5 million on two quality players Berson and Laursen, plus we got Drobny on Loan and wonderkid Carlton Cole,ellis has indicated that there are more signings to come. 3 of our key players have signed long term deals;Angel,Mellberg,Barry. We should be in a position to challenge for top 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Birmingham have invested poorly by spending too much on average players, Heskey and Gronjkaer cost 8 million combined whereas Villa spent 5 million on two quality players Berson and Laursen, plus we got Drobny on Loan and wonderkid Carlton Cole,ellis has indicated that there are more signings to come. 3 of our key players have signed long term deals;Angel,Mellberg,Barry. We should be in a position to challenge for top 5.

^^

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Newcastle , in fact saying in fact im a little insulted(being a Newcastle fan) that you used the term break into the top 4 this season .

Newcastle have finnished : 4th,3rd,4th,5th in the last few seasons , last season was the first season in 4 years that they didnt come 4th or better .

Newcastle have added quality to they're side : Kluivert , Butt , Milner , and Carr .

other than Newcastle I would say Villa , O'Leary is building a very good squad there and the additions of Laursen and Berson are nothing short of spectacular (just like the players themselves)

Spurs have a good squad but I dont expect much in Santini's first season .
    I am expecting a slow start but for them to come right after christmas .

Charlton have a great manager with lim ited players , although Rommendal is a great signing , but I think with other clubs floating all this money around Curbishley has taken them as far as they can go .

Birmingham are a good side but I feel they will be lacking something when the season starts .

Middlesbrough have signed a lot of Dutch players and Viduka , and one thing a lot of Dutch players and Viduka have in common is temperment , I expect them to be brilliant at times , but at others useless , 10th or less is my prediction for them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

There has been alot of talk about superstars like Kluivert and Butt at Newcastle but i think young Milner will be a great player this season for Newcastle. He did really well at times for Leeds in the last 2 seasons and i think he is a great buy for them.
    Carr is one of the best right backs in the Premiership and is a bargin at £2million so i think Newcastle will do well...IF they dont get hit by injuries like last season.
    Boro are another team who have made good signing in JFH and Viduka who both have pleaty of goals between them so they will push for a top 5 finsh aswell.
    Villa have signed good players but if they get hit by injuries like Newcastle did last season then they will struggle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement