Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nct Appeal Update

Options
  • 09-08-2004 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I appealed the Nct's decision to fail my car not having any door handles and recieved a phone call on friday afternoon from a nice gent from the NCT to say that following consultation with the Dept of Environment once I'm able to exit the car from inside they will pass the car so I've to present the car to my local NCT center for inspection and if the doors open from the inside then it passes.
    cheers
    joe :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Obviously that's good news, but you still have to call back in and take time off, because their systems are not standardised

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

delighted you 'beat' the system
    however, get it in writing for the next test and for when you try to sell the car

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Good to hear mate!
    But as Borzoi said, they've caused a lot of inconvenience for you. Was an apology issued for this?

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Borzoi wrote:
    Obviously that's good news, but you still have to call back in and take time off, because their systems are not standardised

Well, you can't have standards on every single aspect & variable on a car can you?
    I mean, no handles on a door is pretty unusual, yes?

If you had to pass a car that say, had all it's doors welded shut because the owner was a fan of the "Duke Boys" would you just automatically pass him?

Sleipnir wrote:
    Well, you can't have standards on every single aspect & variable on a car can you?

If you had to pass a car that say, had all it's doors welded shut because the owner was a fan of the "Duke Boys" would you just automatically pass him?
    Surely, if there is no rule against it, then the tester cannot fail for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I doubt there's a rule that says I can't have 16 inches of steel blade protruding from each wheel but it's something I'd probably fail on.
    My point was you can't have a "standard" for every single modification/variable that might possibly be added or removed from a car.
    Lack of door-handles is not very common at all so why would they have a rule for or against it?
    If they do, then they should have a rule for sticking animal hides onto your car. It's not common, but someone might do it and then they might obscure his vision by flapping around on the windscreen.

The whole point of the NCT is not to pass or fail you it but to make the roads safer. I'm not saying Sentenal's lack of door handles were safe or unsafe (In a collision, doors are usually the first thing to stop working anyway) but the tester made a decision based on safety.
    Anyway, that's why the appeals process is there, to clear up the fuzzy/unclear issues, like missing door handles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Sleipnir wrote:
    ?

I agree it is unusual, but I disagree in the manner that it was handled by the staff and the NCt (as on organisation)

Lets assume that it was the only thing the car was failed on. This is where the problem lies as I see, a mechanic with little guidance chose to fail the car - this was overturned by an appeal. So it is implicit that the mechanic was wrong. Now rather than have the mechanic make an ass of himself, and the organisation, and by extension the test, it would be preferable for him to have said to sentenel 'there is a problem, I'm not sure about those door handles, I'm going to ask for advise from head office, in the mean time go about your business, if you pass we'll put the cert in the post, if not you'll have to change out the mods and come in again to us. All this will take a week at most to sort sir,. Sorry for the inconvenience'

This means that the customer doesn't get too put out and the NCT can continue.

It is a fact that people change their cars to suit themselves, yes it is a good idea that they are checked for road safety, but it is important for the NCT to develop a response system that doesn't piss people off, and not to develop an automatic 'different = wrong' approach that seems to have occured here.

By the way I think in general the NCT is a good idea, I'm not a modder by any means. And my only agenda here is for better customer services :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

sentenel wrote:
    once I'm able to exit the car from inside they will pass the car

Actually I would weld the bloody doors shut and exit through the windows just to piss em off, bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Sorry Borzoi/Sleipnir, I disagree. The NCT are money grabbing fas*ist bastriidges - a private company charged with imposing another tax on a beleagured Irish motoring public. Make the roads safer by taking the blind/inconsiderate/incompetent muppets who haven't grasped the basics of road safety off, not by wasting time for people who take an interest in their cars, or fail to notice their indicators aren't 'orange enough'. Congrats Sentenel - result.

I *refuse* to do another NCT until I am absolutely forced to.

'ceptr

I *refuse* to do another NCT until I am absolutely forced to.

'ceptr
    What circumstances would "absolutely forced to" be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Borzoi wrote:
    I agree it is unusual, but I disagree in the manner that it was handled by the staff and the NCt (as on organisation)

Lets assume that it was the only thing the car was failed on. This is where the problem lies as I see, a mechanic with little guidance chose to fail the car - this was overturned by an appeal. So it is implicit that the mechanic was wrong. Now rather than have the mechanic make an ass of himself, and the organisation, and by extension the test, it would be preferable for him to have said to sentenel 'there is a problem, I'm not sure about those door handles, I'm going to ask for advise from head office, in the mean time go about your business, if you pass we'll put the cert in the post, if not you'll have to change out the mods and come in again to us. All this will take a week at most to sort sir,. Sorry for the inconvenience'

This means that the customer doesn't get too put out and the NCT can continue.

It is a fact that people change their cars to suit themselves, yes it is a good idea that they are checked for road safety, but it is important for the NCT to develop a response system that doesn't piss people off, and not to develop an automatic 'different = wrong' approach that seems to have occured here.

By the way I think in general the NCT is a good idea, I'm not a modder by any means. And my only agenda here is for better customer services :D

Excellent idea. But one which uses common sense and eliminates red tape....and we can't have that now can we?! :D

DC.

Advertisement