Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 20 Premiership wage earners

• 09-08-2004 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

From the Sunday Times Premiership Guide 2004-2005. It looks like you have to be either a forward or midfielder to be one of the highest earners. Arsenal seem to deal down to the last penny while Man Utd jus tround the figure off to the nearest £5k. Also, no wonder Everton are in a dire state, Kevin Campbell and Duncan Ferguson earn £122,000 a week between them!!! :eek:

1 Roy Keane - Man Utd - £100,000
    2 Stephen Gerrard - Liverpool - £90,000
    3= Michael Owen - Liverpool - £80,000*
    3= Ruud van Nistelrooy - Man Utd - £80,000*
    3= Frank Lampard - Chelsea - £80,000
    6= Ryan Giggs - Man Utd - £75,000
    6= Paul Scholes - Man Utd - £75,000
    8= Patrick Vieira - Arsenal - £72,000
    8= Thierry Henry - Arsenal - £72,000
    10 Damien Duff - Chelsea - £70,000
    11 Mark Viduka - Middlesbrough - £68,000
    12= Robert Pires - Arsenal - £67,000
    12= Patrick Kluivert - Newcastle - £67,000
    14= Didier Drogba - Chelsea - £65,000
    14= Alan Smith - Man Utd - £65,000
    14= Louis Saha - Man Utd - £65,000
    17= Harry Kewell - Liverpool - £62,000
    17= Robbie Fowler - Man City - £62,000
    17= Kevin Campbell - Everton - £62,000
    20= Nicolas Anelka - Man City - £60,000
    20= Duncan Ferguson - Everton - £60,000

*signing of improved contract imminent

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Clearly Big Dunc should be on a pay as you play deal!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

No wonder Everton are broke...

I thought Rooneys 50,000 a week was going to be a club record??

Speaking of which, is Sol Campbel not on close to 90,000 a week?

Source?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think Campbell is on the region of 90,000 a week but a large chunk of that is a signing-on fee being played in monthly installments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

No wonder Everton are broke...

I thought Rooneys 50,000 a week was going to be a club record??

Speaking of which, is Sol Campbel not on close to 90,000 a week?

Source?

As far as I know Ferguson and Campbell are on STG £38,000 per week. Not 60K. Are the prices above quoted in EURO perhaps?

The whole deal over 5 years will be the biggest in their history.

The ferguson and campbell figures are defintely wrong. There are on 2 million per year which works out at around £38,000

This link tends to suggest the same:
    http://www.toffeeweb.com/players/current/Campbell.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I actually typed out that list but with a bit of googling I found a link:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-1206099,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

As far as I know Ferguson and Campbell are on STG £38,000 per week. Not 60K. Are the prices above quoted in EURO perhaps?

The whole deal over 5 years will be the biggest in their history.

The ferguson and campbell figures are defintely wrong. There are on 2 million per year which works out at around £38,000

This link tends to suggest the same:
    http://www.toffeeweb.com/players/current/Campbell.asp

The Times must be wrong so:

1 Roy Keane, Man Utd, £100,000
    2 Steven Gerrard, Liverpool, £90,000
    3= Michael Owen, Liverpool, £80,000*
    3= Ruud van Nistelrooy, Man Utd, £80,000*
    3= Frank Lampard, Chelsea, £80,000
    6= Ryan Giggs, Man Utd, £75,000
    6= Paul Scholes, Man Utd, £75,000
    8= Patrick Vieira, Arsenal, £72,000
    8= Thierry Henry, Arsenal, £72,000
    10 Damien Duff, Chelsea, £70,000
    11 Mark Viduka, Middlesbrough, £68,000
    12= Robert Pires Arsenal, £67,000
    12= Patrick Kluivert, Newcastle, £67,000
    14= Didier Drogba, Chelsea,£65,000
    14= Alan Smith, Man Utd, £65,000
    14= Louis Saha, Man Utd, £65,000
    17= Harry Kewell, Liverpool, £62,000
    17= Robbie Fowler, Man City, £62,000
    17 Kevin Campbell, Everton, £62,000
    20= Nicolas Anelka, Man City, £60,000
    20= Robbie Keane, Tottenham, £60,000
    20= Duncan Ferguson, Everton, £60,000

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Campbell on £62,000 sounds like robbery.

Season 2003-04

Squad 9
    Number

League 8 (9)
    Apps (sub)

League 1
    Goals

Cup 0 (1)
    Apps (sub)

Cup 0
    Goals

Total 8 (10)
    Apps (sub)

Total 1
    Goals

Same with Ferguson, considering the few games he played

Season 2003-04

Squad 10
    Number

League 13 (7)
    Apps (sub)

League 5
    Goals

Cup 4 (0)
    Apps (sub)

Cup 4
    Goals

Total 17 (7)
    Apps (sub)

Total 9
    Goals

I think the Times got it badly wrong. Having said that £2million a year is even too much to pay for those jokers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

yeah,
    those everton wages definately aren't right, only if they're the Euro equivalent would they seem accurate.
    Dunc's wages are somewhere around the £35,000stg mark,
    says £34k here

But your point about his and campbells salaries being a thorn in everton's purse is bang on.
    With one year left on his contract, Everton recently offered him a golden handshake worth £500,000 which he snubbed - that's about 1/4 of his salary.

Lampards wages are also wrong by the way, he signed a £85,000 a deal just recently.

Drogba is on £60,000 a week incidently, puts the Campbell/Ferguson thing in perspective.

knobbles wrote:
    yeah,
    those everton wages definately aren't right, only if they're the Euro equivalent would they seem accurate.
    Dunc's wages are somewhere around the £35,000stg mark,
    says £34k here

But your point about his and campbells salaries being a thorn in everton's purse is bang on.
    With one year left on his contract, Everton recently offered him a golden handshake worth £500,000 which he snubbed - that's about 1/4 of his salary.

Who could blame him though for rejecting? Everton offered him the ludicrous contract in the first place, it was there mistake. Now they're asking him to walk away with less money than originally offered. I just feel sorry for the average Evertonian who has to bear the brunt of their wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I have no link(because I cant remember the exact source and cant bother googleing) .

but in one of the papers when Keane (roy) signed his current contract it was quoted as being €100,000 not £1,00,000 .

So I assume these are €uro and not Sterling .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Big Ears wrote:
    I have no link(because I cant remember the exact source and cant bother googleing) .

but in one of the papers when Keane (roy) signed his current contract it was quoted as being €100,000 not £1,00,000 .

So I assume these are €uro and not Sterling .
    No Keane is definitely on £100k. The figures are definitely in £'s as its an English paper so have no need to put it in €'s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

I see four of our ex Leeds guys in the list Viduka, Smith, Kewell & Fowler.

No doubt we are still subsidising the wages of a couple of them but cant see the mistakes of the past been repeated at Elland Road.

The days of the huge salary's are drawing to a close also I think :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

One thing about all of this is that these salaries are private and as such are not publicly known. There is no onus on the clubs, the players or the agents to reveal salaries, bonuses and other remuneration, swuch as image rights, etc. Hence, there is a lot of speculation and guessing by media and pundits alike.

What is publicly made available is the salary paid to the first team playing squad in total, and from that you can see what is being paid out by each club, say relative to their revenue. The G14 clubs do this, but its unclear though if Chelsea did it last year, as Abramovich who is laundering his ill-gotten wealth through the english premiership is unlikely to reveal much about the internal financial workings.

I'm glad to see the likes of Duff and Robbie K get up in the list. The figure of 100k for Roy is speculation. Its a nice round figure for the media but its unclear how much of that would be image rights or include other bonuses, etc. I would be surpirsed if Kluivert was on that amount of money. He was literally begging to get a job somewhere and was reputedly willing to take a 50% cut in wages.

I've asked this before elsewhere, does anyone have a sample players contract and how their remuneration is structured. They are probably hard to come by as I can imagine that they are very convoluted and are treated very secretly between agents, players and clubs. We really need an anonymous agent (Bannor's contact?) to provide us with some info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The Times must be wrong so:

;)

Well going by that, they are....

Advertisement