Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice to quit

Options
  • 09-08-2004 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

If I have a 3 month lease- june 30th to sept 30th, what notice do I have to give to quit.

I know its 4 weeks notice, but if I want to quit at Sept 30th do I have tell him on August 30th or does the 4 weeks only kick in after the expiry of the lease meaning I would have to stay until Oct 30th.

TIA etc.
    David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You don't need to give any notice when a lease is up.
    Once the term is up, it's up so you can move out on September 30th without having to give notice beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Thats what I was thinking but i remeber my LL saying somehting to me that got me in a muddle. Term of Lease = 3 months, after which I'm adios :)

If theres anyone out there that has info to contrary then post it up but I presume it expires at Spet 30th.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭bobk

Firstly, read through the contract you signed when you agreed to take on the property. The terms should cover the amount of notice both sides have to give.

normally it's taken for granted that if you don't get in touch with the landlord then you want to stay on.

however, a 3 month contract is there because the landlord wants to rent the property over the summer holidays and then to students for the rest of the year(better tax breaks).
    Chances are you will be kicked out when the lease runs out.

If you are unsure, ring your landlord and ask.

If problems ensue, get in touch with threshold
    http://www.threshold.ie/

Bob

bobk wrote:
    Firstly, read through the contract you signed when you agreed to take on the property. The terms should cover the amount of notice both sides have to give.

normally it's taken for granted that if you don't get in touch with the landlord then you want to stay on.

however, a 3 month contract is there because the landlord wants to rent the property over the summer holidays and then to students for the rest of the year(better tax breaks).
    Chances are you will be kicked out when the lease runs out.

If you are unsure, ring your landlord and ask.

If problems ensue, get in touch with threshold
    http://www.threshold.ie/

Bob

Threshold was my first point of call but couldnt find the info. Info not easy found tbh.

The 3 months was my request- Its an apartment on Leeson St. and believe me for the rent I'm paying this guy would like me to stay! It was convenient for me becuase of circumstance .

Cheers. Might give them a call to conform before I hand in notice at end of this month anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you want to stay longer or not? If you want to stay, ask. If you want to pay less rent, ask. The worst they can say is "no".

The "simple" thing is to give the landlord notice on the "last" rentday (this will vary if the notice period varies, e.g. if you are meant to give 3 months notice in the lease, but you pay rent monthly).

You have agreed to a lease of 3 months, not a lease of 3 months + notice.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    You have agreed to a lease of 3 months, not a lease of 3 months + notice.

Precisely- I want to move out after the 3 months. I plan to give the 4 weeks notice anyway at the end of august with lease termintating at end of sept anyway.

Advertisement