Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performance

Options
  • 09-08-2004 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

What's going on this afternoon? Boards seems to be *really* slow - timing out a lot. (I posted a thread on the Help forum about how boards seems to go to poo for about half an hour around 2-3 o'clock every day also)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

VB3.0 is a bit of a beast and our server tweaks have to be reapplied. We're also going to spend some cash upgrading some server components. Possibly even a server cluster (ooooh errrr Matron!).

That will take a few weeks if not months.

2pm is busy cos its right after lunch.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

heh :)

seems nice and fast now that its almost home time for most office types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭chill

Stephen wrote:
    heh :)

seems nice and fast now that its almost home time for most office types.
    I have broadband and surf a lot - at excellent speed. But since the new forum software it is incredibly incredibly slow and sometimes dead for a while. Mind you it was slow before the change.

I subscribe to a number of American fora of differing varieties in the US and none of them perform as bad as this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

and none of them perform as bad as this one.
    Obviously they are either less busy or running on considerably more powerful hardware. Judging by the slowdown VB3 seems to be a couple of times more intensive in terms of CPU usage than 2.2 was. The HTML download size generated seems pretty large too. :(

Most of the time it's still faster that things when the dynamic javascript menu and the mis-placed sql indices were there at the same time. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Is there a particular reason VB3 needs to embed a style sheet (8Kb+) in the HTML of every page? Does VB3 do per page impression style generation? I can't think of any reason why VB3 couldn't link to a style sheet that could be cached. I presume 90%+ of the style sheet is consistend across all pages for a style/theme and could be seperated out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

boards.ie must now be one of Ireland's busiest websites. Its a shame that Medialive stopped producing their top 40 list when they did. As a comparison, Ireland.com now records 17 million pages a month. We did just under 4.7 million pages in the first 29 days of last month (the logs got manged a bit when we migrated:D ). That's almost two pages a second, 24 hours a day.

All that is running on a five year old Dell 2450 with a Pentium 3 733 MHz.

We've optimised as much as we can - the database is still as sweet as a nut, but the site just asks too much from the CPU and disks when it comes to Apache/PHP. To try to alleviate this, I'm going to load balance the website between muppet.boards.ie and troll.boards.ie, leaving wang.boards.ie as the database server, but this is going to be a short term solution.

Anyone out there work for Apple or HP and fancy donating some hardware? Must be FreeBSD compatible! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

whoising the ips of your top 30 visitors gives you a good idea of how little work is being done in some companies :D

Advertisement