Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solskjaer to miss entire season.

• 09-08-2004 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

OMG!

http://www.football365.com/news/premiership_news/story_121429.shtml

Ole to miss whole season
    Monday August 09 2004
    Email Us Chat Forum
    Mail article Print article

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is set to miss the whole of the forthcoming Barclays Premiership season with a knee injury.

The Manchester Untied striker had an arthroscopy in Sweden yesterday that confirmed the pain the Norwegian experienced in pre-season training was due to damage in his knee cartilage.

A United spokesman confirmed that Solskjaer, who missed virtually all of the last campaign with a similar problem, is set to sit out this season as well.

Today's news will come as a devastating blow to Ferguson, who feared Solskjaer would miss between six weeks and three months of the season and said on Friday he was `optimistic' the operation would clear the problem for good.

Instead, it has raised serious question marks over the 31-year-old's career.

By the time he eventually is fit for action, Solskjaer, whose contract is due to expire in the summer, will have missed virtually two full seasons.

Long-term, it leaves United in the delicate position of whether to offer the man who dramatically won them the European Cup with his injury-time winner against Bayern Munich in 1999 a new contract.

Short-term, however, it leaves Ferguson's plans for the new season in a mess and only increases the possibility of United launching a bid for Everton's Wayne Rooney, although whether this would be before the transfer window closes remains open to considerable doubt.

With Ruud van Nistelrooy and Louis Saha both ruled out until next month, Ferguson will have just two fully fit strikers - Alan Smith and Diego Forlan - on tomorrow's flight to Romania for the Champions League qualifier with Dinamo Bucharest.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well thats his carreer over as if he has any sense he'll want to be able to walk for the rest of his life...a pity he never signed for a club that could use him proberly, I mean properly.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mike I am sorry but wtf?

He always said he loved playing for the club and was extremely happy with the fact that with the way he is utilised and played, he could keep playing until he was 35/36.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Well that sucks.. I always rated him very highly and as Mike said, shame he didnt get a chance to prove himself every week.

cheesedude wrote:
    Mike I am sorry but wtf?

He always said he loved playing for the club and was extremely happy with the fact that with the way he is utilised and played, he could keep playing until he was 35/36.

Which bit don't you understand? His long-term health or the fact he was used so "sparingly" by Fergie?

Mike.

I do not understand when you say "pity he never signed for a club that could use him proberly".

This the man who has made a huge contribution to the success of Man Utd in the past. He was used in a way that suited him otherwise he would have left years ago.

• Advertisement

Okay, I just think if he'd have signed for say Liverpool he would have had a more interesting career. Clearly he's happy enough picking up a wage which must be the most generous in the Prem on a by-the-minute basis (after Dunc Fergurson of course!)

Mike.

to Jesus thats great, the man already proved he can score goals.

mike65, maybe interesting is the proper word to use here. If he had signed for Liverpool, he would not have won as many medals and lets face it, medals means everything to a footballer and why move when you are content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

mike65 wrote:
    Okay, I just think if he'd have signed for say Liverpool he would have had a more interesting career. Clearly he's happy enough picking up a wage which must be the most generous in the Prem on a by-the-minute basis (after Dunc Fergurson of course!)

Mike.

or maybe its down to his loyalty and love for the club. he's always said he'll stay and fight for his place at manu and he's always given 100% on the pitch.

questioning his motives is a tad unfair.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    What an ignorant statement. Solskjaer was always happy with his position at United and always wanted to be involved in big European games. If he signed for Liverpool he would have probably been playing at centre back for most of his career! Very interesting. :rolleyes:

He has always said it was a privilage to play for such a big club and to be involved in many big Champions League games. And he has always been a big favourite among the fans at OT, even before he scored that legendary goal in the Champions League final in '99. He is up there with the biggest names in Man United's history in which he has said that he was very chuffed to be held in such high regard by the United fans.

Fine but if I had his talent I would'nt want to warm a bench for 70% of my best years.

Mike.

• Advertisement

I think that is a bit of an over estimation mike. He got playing in most games, regardless of whether he started them or not. He got his fair share of starts regardless.

But he had ambition and his ambition was to win the biggest prizes in football, which is what he done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

huge blow for United. i hope he gets offered a new contract at the end of the season but i think its unlikely. I dont agree with people saying he should of move clubs. Ole is the only survivor of the 99' season's famous 4 strikers and that saids alot about the player.
    When Ole retires and looks back on his career i cant see him saying "why didnt i move to Spurs when i had the chance".
    He is a United Legend and the fans will always love him for the great goals he has scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm no matter what I think about him staying at United when he would have gotten a automatic first team place in most clubs in the Premiership and beyond this is a real blow for him. I would say given the problems he had last year (he was only coming back from injury if I remember correctly) that he will retire. I don't think it will effect United that much as they seem to have enough cover in the striker area.

This is a shame for him because he is a good poacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I am gutted for Ole, he has done a superlative job for us when needed,(when needed sounds harsh and it is fergie who has destroyed him, and I as man yoo fan would have loved to see him play week in week out hold a permanent position, its a real pity the man didnt move on last season, fergie didn't deserve this mans wonderful talent). I am devasted for the guy cause this more than likely finish his career in football.

A very gutted man yoo fan.

Willem

I just hope he's ok. But this looks like its the end of the road for him. Its a really sad because he's still a great player and was possibly going to be Beckham's replacement on the right only for his injury. But his health is the main thing now. I think if he is to leave United next summer he should retire altogether. He is a legend and he should retire as a legend.

Not me. I think he should play on...he can do it.

But if it affects his health ie. his legs when he gets older, I think he should quit. Take Paul McGrath for example, great player who should have retired earlier in his career now suffers from knee problems and could only play for 5 minutes in his testimonial. He will almost certainly have more problems with his legs when he gets older.

Well that is true. I should have included in my post if the go ahead is in the clear of course. Poor Ole! A decent bloke too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

A quality player and one of the United players I didnt hate .

Hopefully surgury can fix the problem and he will be able to play for a season or 2 without long-term damage to himself .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

mike65 wrote:
    Fine but if I had his talent I would'nt want to warm a bench for 70% of my best years.

Let's start with a few facts shall we? From Here

Manchested United Record
    Appearances : 331
    Started: 199
    Sub: 132
    Goals: 116

Molde Record
    Appearances: 42
    Started: 42
    Sub: 0
    Goals: 31

Norway Record
    Appearances: 59
    Started: 57
    Sub: 2
    Goals: 22

That is 432 games in total, with 298 starts and 169 goals all told.

His Manchester United career shows he started 199 out of 331 games, that is just a little over 60%, which means a little under 40% of his time at Manchester United was as a sub, a far cry from the 70% you quote. :rolleyes:

I hate the way people constantly churn out untruths about Manchester United.

I'm sure if the player himself was as concerned about the number of starts he was getting at whatever stage of his Manchester United career as many of the people on here seem to be, then he would have handed in a transfer request a long time ago, or walked away to Spurs when he could have, on more than one occasion. He is a Manchester United Legend and an example of true profesionalism and loyalty to a club.

This is very bad news for Olé and the club, I hope the papers are sensationalising this, and its not as bad as it seems.

• Advertisement

Thank you. I needed that.

I mean if Solskjaer went to Liverpool, he would have ended up playing as Goalkeeper for the reserves and he probably would not have been that bad either. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ah the poor bastard. He doesnt deserve this. Hes a model proffesional (when have u ever heard anything about him in the tabloids about what he does off the pitch) and a great player. This might spell the end of his career but he'll always hold a place in my heart.

cheesedude wrote:
    I mean if Solskjaer went to Liverpool, he would have ended up playing as Goalkeeper for the reserves and he probably would not have been that bad either. :P

Even Houllier would recognise the Baby-Faced Assassin was quality (proberly)

seansouth I stand corrected, it just seems like he was the guy comming off the bench with 25 mins to go, Cole having missed another sitter.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

Man Utd will have their work cut out now to qualify for the Champions League proper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

:(
    he rocked
    super sub who was super all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

PHB wrote:
    he rocked
    super sub who was super all the time

yup , too bad he couldnt become a regualr starter(instead of starter quite a lot of the time but not always) , he could have been the model proffesionel who took the place of a proffesionel model .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A sad turn of events for a class player with quite possibly the worst nickname in football history!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Class player! hopefully he will come back! just when he was getting the chance to be a frist time starter wit Utd last season tis happens and he more or less misses 2 season! Utd sold Beckham because they though he wud play on the right! as Ferguson said last season that his whole career he never really had a bad injury well this has made up for that now!

Will always remember down da local on that nite when he knocked that "one" in for Utd!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

It's a really shame that he'll be out, I just hope that his injury clears up and that he can get one more season in before he retires.

• Advertisement
Advertisement