Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imperial Majesty

• 09-08-2004 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Just got a phone-call from company doing a 'Survey'.
    53 lucky people will be selected to win a Cruise who take part I was told.
    So I let her go on, as I was bored and answered a few of her questions.
    Now I'm waiting for that phone to ring tommorow..I just know I'm going to 'Win'..A feeling in my water sort of thing.
    Now when I do get this phone call..And they ask me for my credit card details..what are the list of difficult questions I should ask just to have a little fun.:).
    I did a little research on these guys and it seems quite a few Irish people have taken the bait.
    I'm sure theres a thread somewhere here about these guys,but a new warning wont harm.
    Nem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Sure haven't half of us won the Spanish Lottery, through one of their random draws? :) I am sure you could have a lot of fun with these guys and string them along a bit. If it is that young lady again, maybe you could invite her to come on the cruise with you and tell her that you will swap your credit card number for her phone number and vital statistics! Tell her you won the Spanish Lottery last week and will have a fortune to spend on the cruise, but you have no girlfriend to spend it on, as she just left you. Ask can you have a suite with a sauna or something like that. Offer to buy all her clothes for her. Start telling her about all the lovely ball gowns, dresses and shoes you'll buy for her and then get on to swimwear and ... ! Make a few 'proposals' to her and see how long it is before she hangs up the phone! :)

Use your imagination but be careful and just hope she doesn't send the cops on to you! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ask if they give swimming lessons in case the ship sinks. And what colour the life jackets are.

And don't forget your sea-sickness - do they provide sea sickness tablets? Oh and there's the small issue of your food allergies - I hope it's none of that foreign food with rice and pasta and them funny sauces. You are a spuds, meat and veg man, don't forget.

I hope the ship isn't full of old people....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

You should check that your criminal record won't be a problem, especially if there are children on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

You should check that your criminal record won't be a problem, especially if there are children on board.

and dont forget to wipe your harddrives lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Warn her that you're narcoleptic and leave the phone at random intervals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Waltons wrote:
    Warn her that you're narcoleptic and leave the phone at random intervals
    Fupping Brilliant!!! :D:p

Yes, very clever! You'd almost feel sorry for the poor girl when she rings! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

tell her that this is her lucky day, you work for a large nigerian bank and need somebody in Ireland to "take care" of $15,000,000 for you.
    he he

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Some nice suggestions there, I wish this thread had come a few months ago when I answered a similar survey and had a callback a few days later to say I had 'won' and dream holiday in Florida. All they wanted was $900 for a 2 week holiday for 4 including car hire, but excluding some kind of tax on the car which was about $15 a day, also excluding my flights to USA and also excluding some other hotel charge which was on a per-person basis. All in all, not much of a winning. When they asked for my credit card details I ended the conversation and said I couldn't afford it. The guy got very irate that I had let him give his 15 minute spiel and then wasn't going to go ahead with it and he hung up on me!
    I got another call back about 10 minutes later from some supervisor saying how I could pay a deposit of $150 with the remainder before I take the holiday. I just said no, and hung up on him this time.
    Did this survey come from a Canadian holiday broker? Mine did anyway, but the holiday was from some Majestic Cruises crowd in Florida or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Harry Lime

I had a similar call to jor els about three years ago on a Friday night at about 8.00. The girl asked for my credit card details, I told her that I was drinking, and could she call back the following day. She said that I was weak for not being able to make decisions when I was drunk.. maybe she was right :D

Anyways, I had no intention of paying for something that I had "won". She didn't call back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Stephen wrote:
    SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM
    I'm not sure if it's a scam. It's certainly not a good deal, but they try not to give you time to figure that out. You are buying a legit holiday though, you're just being ripped off. Or am I wrong? Either way, I don't usually buy things over the phone, especially not when they ring me.
    Harry Lime wrote:
    She said that I was weak for not being able to make decisions when I was drunk.. maybe she was right
    On the contrary, you did the right thing by not talking to her while drunk. Who knows what you may have bought.
    Interestingly when I got the first call, she asked if I had a credit card, but not for the number. I presume if I had said no that I wouldn't have 'won' anything as I would have no way of paying the agents handeling and admin fee. Heh, $900 for a handling fee, that's a percentage ticketmaster would be proud of.

[edit] me being quite blind and not reading things properly just noticed the thread title, Imperial Majesty, this was the crowd that called me to say I had won. You should expect your call in a day or two Nemesis. [/edit]

Well Nemesis, did she ring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Or he could just come across as a heavy breather .... or question Canada's committment to the War on Terror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

My favourite one is from the account manager of a dead-guy (usually a plane crash) who has no (detected) relatives. His account balance is typically $30m. They go on to explain that if you pose as a relative you get 5% or something.

Just wonder how many people are greedy and stupid enough to put $10,000 in an account in Switzerland so an account can be opened - I guess this is the scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They go on to explain that if you pose as a relative you get 5% or something.
    Hang on, they expect you to settle for 5%?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Victor wrote:
    Hang on, they expect you to settle for 5%?
    Well this was one of the worst I got (no idea why I get these). One was for $25,000,000 and I got to keep $2,300,000 - they never hit 10% if I remember correctly - the $700,000 were reserved for legal fees and expenses - forgot to mention that in the previous post - its a detail that will probably suck-in the "sucker" :D

Advertisement