Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE LW 252KHz reception reports

• 09-08-2004 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what reception of the longwave Radio One signal is like overseas, especially in continental Europe?

Comments

Moved to terrestrial as it is more to do with reception than programmes.

Is 252 radio one lower power than the old atlantic 252?
    I remember receiving that fairly well in Northern France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Holland:

1/3 of the time the reception is near perfect, 1/3 time it's listenable and 1/3 of the time it's either unlistenable or drowned out by a French station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

It doesn't stretch down as far as Rennes in Brittany. Was over there round paddy's day this year and tried without luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

drowned out by a French station.

That French station is Algerian sending out 1.5Mega Watts of power. Here in Belgium reception with a portable radio is OK by nulling out the Algerian station. While driving in the car its not great as LW suffers alot of interference from electrical things.
    Happy RTE Radio 1 is on LW and suprised jm2k that you are not getting it in Rennes!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

greenman wrote:
    That French station is Algerian sending out 1.5Mega Watts of power. Here in Belgium reception with a portable radio is OK by nulling out the Algerian station. While driving in the car its not great as LW suffers alot of interference from electrical things.
    Happy RTE Radio 1 is on LW and suprised jm2k that you are not getting it in Rennes!!!

So the chances of picking up Micheál O Muircheartaigh in Spa-Francorchamps would be fair to good? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I'd say so, unless there's a lot of electrical storms between there and Ireland.

greenman wrote:
    ....Happy RTE Radio 1 is on LW and suprised jm2k that you are not getting it in Rennes!!!

So was I! ...but tried on 3 different radio's, not one was picking anything up :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

jm2k wrote:
    So was I! ...but tried on 3 different radio's, not one was picking anything up :(

Did you try it outside or with a car radio away from buildings???
    Let us know as I am really suprised!!! :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

RTE radio one 100% all of the time in car and house in Essex UK, (near London)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

To answer my own question:

MóM came in beo bríomhar from Páirc An Chrócaigh with the match beginning just as we left Spa/Francorchamps. I'd rate reception as 3/5 with only occasional drop-outs in the vicinity of tunnels or electricity pylons. Small bit of interference from another French LW station in parts. By the time we reached Aachen in Germany, the game was almost over but reception was still quite OK.

• Advertisement

greenman wrote:
    Did you try it outside or with a car radio away from buildings???
    Let us know as I am really suprised!!! :confused::confused::confused:

Only had a chance to try it indoors ...i'm heading back there next week thou, so I'll check it out again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ringelblume

Zaphod wrote:
    Just wondering what reception of the longwave Radio One signal is like overseas, especially in continental Europe?

You asked this question >3 years ago :)

The last weeks I was experimenting with simple TRF Radios here in the more or less city center of Berlin, Germany. After throwing out abt. 10m of wire into the branches of lime tree in front of my window, using it as an antenna there is in fact some reception on 252khz!

In daylight RTE1 is barely audible, also due to the poor selection of the receiver(s) which causes interferences from the nearby (20km+-) 177khz 500kW transmitter.

After sunset there is a good signal with an interesting fading. Later at night sometimes Ireland, sometimes Alger is stronger on 252khz.

I'm planning to construct a little LW receiver into a walkman like box and make reception tests while canoeing somewhere in the polish forests next year.

Regards
    ringelblume
    from Berlin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Last week in Amsterdam I was suprised to find I couldnt hear anything from RTE (Although there was a lot of TV/computer type interference where I was staying) Algeria was coming in on 252 while on 567 there were two weak stations niether of them could be made out but I suspect it was RTE and Sender Free Berlin (or whatever its called these days). Only English language radio I heard was on 198/648/693/1053/1215 (648 World service being strongest) and one of the local FM stations which had an hour of English in the morning before reverting to Indian music.

On the (presumably cable ?) TV where I stayed there was BBC1 (London region) and 2 (but no ITV/C4/C5) BBC World, MTV, Eurosport, CNN and Discovery (the latter mostly in English with Dutch subtitles) and from Germany ARD and ZDF as well as Nederland 1/2/3 (with their strange "pillarised" structure) Veronica, three (I think) channels from RTL (The commercial channels had mostly US/British programming with subtitles) and various local and shopping channels. Oh and three (internal hotel ?) channels catering for various "adult" tendencies.

I was suprised at how few visible satellite dishes therw were (especially given the large and diverse ethnic population). Although I did see a few pubs advertising the fact that they had Sky sports (and RTE in a couple)

Dutch MW/FM radio seems to be a lot more diverse musically than the UK and Ireland most of the networked FM stations seem to be run on a synchronised "quasi national" basis which on the plus side takes up less space on the dial leaving room for more stations but on the minus side probably doesnt give full coverage (then again given the flat Dutch terrain the number of coverage "black spots" is probably small anyway). Most popular station (judging by what was on in shops etc) seems to be "Skyradio"

Electric sockets are German style 2 pin 16 amp (most without earth clips) There are no plug fuses and there doesnt seem to anything to stop one from sticking a plug in with live and neutral the wrong way around or from sticking a plug with earth clips into a socket without them :eek:
    Is 252 radio one lower power than the old atlantic 252?
    I remember receiving that fairly well in Northern France
    Atlantic 252 were 500Kw (100Kw at night) RTE are (I believe) running 250-300 Kw during the day

Given that people are reporting hearing 252 in Berlin Im begining to wonder if the transmitter was off the air (or doing DRM tests) the couple of times I checked :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Radio Eireann lw252

<snip>

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Radio Eirean LW252, This is the third old thread I’ve seen you drag up today with the exact same post. At this stage you are at spamming point especially when there’s a reasonably contemparanious thread on 252LW a few posts below that it would have been appropriate to post in (if your post had been accurate that is - there is no evidence to say that any currently licensed RTE service will be impacted by Brexit). I will give you a warning rather than a straight ban on this occasion, but if I see you spamming again it is a ban

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement