Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking with domains

Options
  • 09-08-2004 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

rite im having problems tying to network my mams laptop up with my PC. see i cant change her comp over to a workgroup cause when she goes into work it wont so i have to leave hers as is. how do set up a domain on my PC to allow multi gaming

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

you set up a domain on a w2k or w2k3 server and the pc then joins that domain

M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

For gaming you almost certainly don't require both PCs to be on the same domain, just the same subnet, able to ping each other and hear each others broadcasts. And I doubt that you're going to set up a domain controller (win server or linux/samba).

--

If the 2 PCs can't see each other it's more likely to be an issue with your networking settings.
    If you want as hand sorting this out and save time, please provide
    versions of windows on each PC.
    current IP address, subnet, gateway of each PC. (by running ipconfig /all from console)
    result of pinging the other PCs IP address.

Are you using a router with built in DHCP, just a switch, or just a crossover cable to link the PCs?

--

Or is the problem that you're trying to solve to do with permissions to install or change settings on your mothers laptop?

Advertisement