Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DETROIT COBRAS Dublin gig

Options
  • 09-08-2004 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

THE DETROIT COBRAS

CrawDaddy

Mon 6th Sept. Doors 8pm

The Detroit Cobras
    "Cha Cha Twist"
    forget the DKT/MC3, here come the Motor City Cobras…
    - CHA CHA TWIST is currently being used on a worldwide Coca-Cola TV advertising campaign.
    The Detroit Cobras return on September 10th with a brand new version of their live favourite ‘Cha Cha Twist’.

There has been a huge buzz at the indie clubs on this track as a result of it appearing earlier this year on a Coca Cola TV commercial. The TV advert went down so well that it is being run in cinemas and on t.v. throughout August.

The fantastic video for Cha Cha Twist was directed by Anthony Garth, who also made TheWhite Stripes ‘Hotel Yorba’. It features a cameo from fellow Motor City resident and long term friend of the band, The White Stripes’ Meg White, dressed as Little Red Riding Hood.

The Detroit Cobras play a London show at ULU on September 8th. The band will tour Europea in November.

Following on from the success of last year’s Seven Easy Pieces mini-album, the band’s brand new album ‘Baby’ will be released in late September, and will feature the new version of ‘Cha Cha Twist’, as well as 12 brand new rock n’ soul classics.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    biog:
    THE DETROIT COBRAS

The Detroit Cobras release their new CD, titled *Seven Easy Pieces*, on March 10.

This release, the group's first on Rough Trade Records, sees the Cobras subjecting seven obscure song gems to their inimitable brand of hard, sexy garage R&B. The EP follows three singles and the acclaimed albums *Mink Rat Or Rabbit* (1999) and *Life Love And Leaving* (2001) released on independent American labels.

Many of the Motor City's finest young musicians have passed through the Detroit Cobras in their short career, but two things have remained constant: the guitar of Mary Restrepo and the soul-stirring vocals of young wildcat Rachel Nagy. Incredibly for one whose command of her instrument is already so accomplished, the Cobras are Nagy's first band.

From the start the Detroit Cobras have been great song-finders. Literally. Their repertoire has been assembled from the unjustly neglected corners of pop music history, often found on the b-sides of scratchy 45s they'd unearth at flea markets and thrift shops.

Many of their songs are drawn from the bottomless heritage of their Detroit home, from obscure labels like Fortune and D-Town and lost legends like Nathaniel Mayer and Gino Washington. They have also interpreted material from the songbooks of artists as diverse as Jackie DeShannon, Charlie Rich, Lowman Pauling, and Irma Thomas, to name but a few. What the Cobras do to this material goes beyond "covering"; they distill its power down to the rock & roll essence --the thundering guitars and driving rhythm sections that have never fallen out of favor in their home town-- and infuse it with an energy and passion that is thoroughly modern.

Will the Detroit Cobras begin writing original material? Without a doubt. But they're in no particular hurry to inflict more songs on the world. Especially when there are so many great songs still out there waiting to be discovered.

Joining Rachel and Mary for the recording of the *Seven Easy Pieces* EP were drummer Kenny Tudrick, and bassist (and former Black Crowe) Eddie Harsch. Journeying from Memphis to Detroit for the sessions was guitarist Greg Cartwright, architect behind the great Oblivians and currently fronting the Reigning Sound. Cartwright's song "Bad Girl" was a highlight of the Cobras' first album and remains a staple of their live sets.

For this, their first UK visit, the Detroit Cobras are: Rachel Nagy (vocals), Mary Restrepo (guitar), Matt O'Brien (bass), Kenny Tudrick (drums) and Steve Nawara (guitar). Nawara, who has played with the Cobras live for the last eighteen months, is also a member of the Electric Six.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ten Dollar Man

Hi Deaglan,

I'm a Detroit Cobras fan, I think they are superb, but I've never seen them in concert. I can't find any information on the net about the November European tour you mention - where did you hear about it?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Deaglan

tickets for their gig at crawdaddy in dublin are now on sale via ROAD, ticketmaster etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wildcat

Hello there

Just to let you know that Steve Nawara is definitely NO LONGER a member of Electric Six... thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭alternate DJ

i would like to say thati love the detroit cobra's and am so happy to hear that they are coming to play a second date i will be trying to get me a couple of tickets for that i tell yeah

www.alternatedj.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

why did they sell-out so quickly?

ah well...

• Advertisement

ahh no did they sell out already thats a bit of a pity or did they sell out????????

ok there still on sale i just bought one 04/08/04

sorry i meant why did they become sell-outs so quickly.

they're kind of weak...

just another band i guess... not very impressive..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

I really hate it when bands let their music be used in ads, but then again I'm not a starving musician. Have been listening to that album for over a year and I love it. Looking forward to the gig tonight.

• Advertisement

you got to realise that these musicians are trying to make a living making music and i don't think that there is such thing as a sell out they got to get out there and make money to survive and do what they like

i really like the album and if it wasn't for the guinness add i would never have heard of them and they wouldn't be playing in crawdaddy tonight

looking foward to seeing them tonight and i hope to see a few of you guys around

hope they really rock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wildcat

has anyone got any info about the tour in November??

Advertisement