Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working in heat!

• 09-08-2004 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Hey i work in a well known fast food chain but the heat is killing me!
    We tested it out today on the termometer and it was 30C at its peak but ranged from 27-29 Celcius.

There must be a law against working in such heat, its unbearable!

the air conditioning system is a pathetic joke!
    Does anyone know any laws or anything or who i can contact to try and resolve this as the store manager doesnt give a sh!t cos she doesnt have to work up in the heat?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i sympathise. i remember a time when i was working in a hotel kitchen. during the summer months the temperature would go into the 40's. what got me through the day was plenty of water and fresh air every now and again. management simply didnt give a ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen:)

(sorry but it had to be said)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

all i found was this http://www.impact.ie/rights/worksafe.htm
    they recommend a temperature of 17.5-27 degrees celcius for offices. But I dont know if its enforceable by law or what the situation is with kitchens etc. Have you brought the heat to his attention or the fact that his air conditioning isnt working?
    I'd say if you say to him "the health and safety authority recommend...." he might take note, other than that since its a fast food chain he might just take unkindly to you and give you less shifts. Only you can judge what his reply would be.
    Either way drop them a line at info@hsa.ie and ask them. You dont have to tell them where you work at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

jaysus yeah they simply dont give a fook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

TIPPTOP wrote:
    Can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen:)

(sorry but it had to be said)

boom boom :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭[Preacher]

The law respects consumers far more than it respects employees. With that in mind it may be better to agrue that 30C could incubate germs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Back in my working in fast food days I found a minute in the freezer every once in a while worked wonders.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I was expecting a thread about working while having a period :( .

Seeing as it's not, Hot = Bad, Mild/Cool = good.

I will never live in America. Or anywhere particularily hot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Last summer, the temperature in our back room in work hit 35deg. And I still had to shrinkwrap PS2 games for 3 hours... Actually opened the fridge and sat down in front of it for ages to cool down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Pah lightweight shaaandy drinkers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Hey i work in a well known fast food chain but the heat is killing me!

Its McD's ain't it?
    go on you can tell us

Well either that or SuperMacs *shudder*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Cabaal wrote:
    Its McD's ain't it?
    go on you can tell us

Well either that or SuperMacs *shudder*

Nope its Burger King!

Ye jumping in the freezer is a good way to cool down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

..Not meaning to Hijack the thread, but this got me thinking.. Has anyone else noticed the heat in Chartbusters Outlets since they introduced tanning? You walk in and the whole place is like a horrible stuffy sauna!

But anyway, back on topic - I know how you feel. I worked in an office once where there simply was NO air conditioning, and everyone went around sweating through their clothes. It was quite gross, and I believe they've improved it since.

I can't imagine working in that sort of heat now; my sympathies go out to you.. not that that's a great help.. :o

K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I used to work for McDs back in the days of full time college & used to hate being in the grill area during the summer ... especially after getting sunburnt!

The oul freezer trick works wonders though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Im working in southern Germany. Now thats heat! Home in a couple of weeks. I think the temperature change is really gonna f*ck me up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I know how you feel too - the place I was working in this summer was unbearably hot in the afternoons, especially on sunny days. I don't know why, cos it was a big office, and it wasn't stuffy, just really really hot! We even kept all the blinds down on the windows so that the sun couldn't come in through the glass, but it didn't make much difference. In the end I managed to find a portable fan and stuck it behind my desk - it would blow all the sheets of paper around, but it was worth it!

The sweat is rolling down my sides at the mo. Bloody disgusting feeling. And there is an open window two metres away. Doesn't make any odds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

gobby wrote:
    The sweat is rolling down my sides at the mo. Bloody disgusting feeling. And there is an open window two metres away. Doesn't make any odds...

Used to work in a restaurant where the customers came up to the counter and you made there food in front of them (kind of deli but nicer and with chairs).

The air con broke once and we had to stand there dripping sweat into the $8 salads/sandwiches and keep a straight face. They didn't fix it for a week.

One of my jobs was to bake the bread/pizzas. That was the worst ever with a hangover (520 Fahrenheit iirc).

Most fun job ever though. I normally end up working in offices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Mmmm nice to know that the food people are eaten was prepared by someone who's sweat is dripping into the food :(

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

yeah i just moved jobs, from a cramped extremely hot bar/restaurant to a nice airy office.................or so it thought.

The first hot day I realised that my desk was beside the "atrium" or to the layman - greenhouse.

The only saving grace is the near frozen water they have on tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Zoton

Spent a number of weeks working in a mail sorting place in america 2 years ago. No air conditioning, and having to run up and down a machine catching and sorting mail, for 12 hours. I'd walk outside into 90-95 degree fahrenheit heat, and it would feel cool.
    it was so, so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Sposs wrote:
    Mmmm nice to know that the food people are eaten was prepared by someone who's sweat is dripping into the food :(

Well I wouldn't have eaten it!!!

I reckon it was fairly visible too as it was streaming off our brow's through our caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

As I work a Builing Services Engineer I can tell you that the ideal temperature for a workplace is between 18°-22°C.

AFAIK these temeratures are guidelines and are not enforced, however, there would be a Health & Safety issue if there was food being stored in these conditions. But if you are working in an area where you were cooking food, i.e. beside a cooker it would be nigh on impossible to get the temperature down to those levels. Put it down to hazards of the job!!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Sposs wrote:

That's not sweat sir, that's our special liquid salt system! Enjoy your meal.

impr0v wrote:
    That's not sweat sir, that's our special liquid salt system! Enjoy your meal.
    LOL...

Advertisement