Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tribes2 ingame IRC client

Options
  • 20-04-2001 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to make this connect to an IRC server of your own choice - irc.b0rk.co.uk:6667 for instance?

- Munch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

/server irc.barrysworld.co.uk
    This IRC client does not allow you to change servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

you could try putting a fake entry in ur HOSTS file pointing irc.sierra.com (or whatever it is) to the server u want.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh... where's this hosts file? I can't find it in my T2 directory anywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Its part of your windows system itself. Its used for name resolution. Any domain names are first checked to see if they are in hosts, if so that ip is used. Otherwise a dns is contacted (usually thats the fall back). So find it, its prob in system or something, and add an entry for irc.sierra.com
    No idea if this will work. Its probably got some proprietry ****e in its greeting to stop ppl doing that. Seems silly not to let ppl use the irc on any server they want.
    quozl

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I think your LMHOSTS is checked AFTER the DNS is checked. I'd have to dig out my MSCE stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Pretty sure it isnt. As you can use it to override ips you would get from dns. For a fact it isnt in all *nix os's. And it would seem very silly for MS to have gone against thus (plus I'd swear I remember it anyway, as being the first checked).
    quozl

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    I think your LMHOSTS is checked AFTER the DNS is checked. I'd have to dig out my MSCE stuff. </font>

I thought LMHOSTS stood for LanMan Hosts. Lanman being that evil windows filesharing netbios stuff...

Advertisement