Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SE p900 POP3/IMAP Problem (O2 Speakeasy)

• 09-08-2004 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

Operator: O2
    Account: Speakeasy (Pre-Paid
    Phone: Sony Ericsson p900

I just got this phone and I'm figuring out loads of fancy **** it can do. But if I can get it to do basic things like check e-mail, then I'll be laughing. I would liked to say I have tried to solve this myself but I'm tired now and want help before I cry.

I sent this e-mail to O2 "customer care" but they haven't responded and it seems they are having problems with their server right now. Could somebody in the know please help me out:
    Hi,

I am having trouble accessing my POP3 and IMAP e-mail accounts with the
    O2 WAP GPRS automatic connection settings sent to my phone. I am using a
    Sony Ericsson p900 on Speakeasy. I know two other people with SE p900 and
    p800 phones. They are both on O2 Pay Monthly and are having the same e-mail problem.

The built-in internet browser works fine with the O2 WAP GPRS settings (I
    can access www.02.ie).

However, when I try to access e-mail I get the message "Failed to connect".
    The Internet Connection logo along the bottom of the screen says I am connected to O2 WAP GPRS and 0KB has been sent or received. I know my e-mail account settings are fine because I managed to access them from my mobile using an Eircom Net dial-up account. At 9kbps it was very slow.

It appears that the problem is with the O2 WAP GPRS settings. I have tried
    following the GPRS POP3 steps for the PocketPC on www.o2.ie but the SE p900 does not have settings for an IrDA modem. Are there other settings more appropriate to my phone or do I have to request activation of another service?

Thanks,

My current settings:
    - Internet Accounts\O2 WAP GPRS
    Type: GPRS
    Address: pp.wap.o2.ie
    IP & DNS: Automatic
    Proxy: none (I tried 62.40.32.80:8080 to no avail)

- Message Accounts
    All use O2 WAP GPRS

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, you need to use their Internet (not WAP) access point in order to connect to use the E-mail client, but first you need to make sure to check with O2 Internet / WAP support (not regular customer care - read this thread contact info link etc.) to ensure you are set-up (provisioned) for the Internet access point

Internet access point name:
    for pre-pay (Speakeasy): pp.internet
    for post-pay: internet or open.internet

username and password: gprs
    dns1: 62.40.32.33
    dns2: 62.40.33.34

Then you set the E-mail Message Account to use this Internet connection, not the WAP one.

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Thanks a MILLION! It works without even having to call up O2.

BTW, could you put that information in the sticky thread for other people? I don't think I saw it there.

Also, the thread you linked to has a mistake that could cause confusion:
    "What type of account you have: Pre-Pay (Billed-Monthly) or Post-Pay (Top Up)"
    Pre-Pay and Post-Pay are mixed up ;)

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Internet access point name:
    for pre-pay (Speakeasy): pp.internet
    for post-pay: internet or open.internet

Hmm. DOesn't work for me. Getting error 'wrong access point name'.
    Do I need to ring up o2 and get mobileweb enabled? GPRS and MMS are working fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

eth0_ wrote:
    Hmm. DOesn't work for me. Getting error 'wrong access point name'.
    Do I need to ring up o2 and get mobileweb enabled? GPRS and MMS are working fine.

yeah, best to check with O2 Internet support (call 1740) to ensure you are set-up (provisioned) for the Internet access point relevant to your type of account (pre/post pay)

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

yeah, best to check with O2 Internet support (call 1740) to ensure you are set-up (provisioned) for the Internet access point relevant to your type of account (pre/post pay)

BrianG

Great. Only in Ireland!!
    Cheers Brian, i'll call them tomorrow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement