Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I miss

Options
  • 09-08-2004 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

The boards logo at the top right (but i know i can get back to the frontpage by clicking on boards.ie on the first drop down menue).

Mods having hypretext links to their forums under their names.

The blue squiggily things and the irish yolk on the home page (i know i was the only one who liked them and that they went before the upgrade).

Tags undernames other than registered user.

Being able to tell who was a subscriber.

The old smilies, i prefered them.

Thats just feedback for what its worth, personally im finding boards quicker since the upgrade but that might be an unrelated improvement. And I like the new look and features and organisation. I do find it unpleasent though that i can see forums on the drop down list that i cant access. What is Magazine? Its even got a permanent link on the frontpage.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Ecksor, paint my chicken coup!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I'd love to eat your chicken soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Erm.... eugh?!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I miss all those things too, but they're cosmetic things things that are probably pretty far down on the "to do" list of the admins.
    Be nice if they can put them back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

The old smilies, i prefered them.
    i prefered the very old ubb ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

i prefered the very old ubb ones.

I'm too lazy to look for the card for those that mention how old-skool they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

paint my chicken coup!
    Those corn muffins were lousy.

Happy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

sceptre wrote:
    Those corn muffins were lousy.

Happy now?

Paint my Cicken Coup ! {fight begins betweenn the 2 old fellows}

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Another thing I miss is when looking at a forum, you can see which members are currently browsing that forum.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

That information is now at the bottom of the page that displays the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

ecksor wrote:
    That information is now at the bottom of the page that displays the forum.

Oh! I had not noticed it down there - I just assumed it was gone. Pity really, its the sort of trivial information I'd never think of scrolling to the bottom of a page to look for but on the other hand it is sort of pointlessly interesting to see from time to time in a "wow look who else is mad enough to look at this board at this time of night" sort of way.

Don't suppose it could be shoved back up top again at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Before the change there were far less posts whinging about un-important crap that nobody gives a monkeys about. What are the admins going to do about this?

Also my bathroom is filthy, what are the admins going to do about that?

(not a word Brian ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

amp wrote:
    Before the change there were far less posts whinging about un-important crap that nobody gives a monkeys about. What are the admins going to do about this?

Do you mean all the little pieces of crap that evolved over time to make boards the pleasurable reading expierience it was? Yeh, the utter cheek.

What you patently fail to understand from your comments on 2 feedback threads today is that although you are clearly able to adjust to the changes with no problems, there are a lot of people who have difficulty adjusting to them and miss the little things they had grown used to.

FWIW i agree with both necromancer and sinecure's comments on those threads, but i feel its pointless showing any support and instead i should just post some drivel about cake.

Yes it's certainly not the text people come to boards for. It's the type of smilies and having the phrase "No life" underneath their nick. These things are far more important than making the backend stuff work properly (which it mostly does, but I imagine takes a lot of work to optimise fully).

Also the Admins wouldn't have seen any of these incredibly important changes as they don't use boards much.

Now I'd like to continue but my eyeballs have rolled back into my skull and now I'm relying on my touchtyping sjills t o wriitethis..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

amp wrote:
    now I'm relying on my touchtyping sjills t o wriitethis..
    your touchtyping skills arn't up to scratch to be honest. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

amp wrote:
    Yes it's certainly not the text people come to boards for. It's the type of smilies and having the phrase "No life" underneath their nick. These things are far more important than making the backend stuff work properly (which it mostly does, but I imagine takes a lot of work to optimise fully).
    How silly of me not to notice that we live in a world where we all drive dependable volkswagons and noone bothers with frivolities like sports cars, SUVs, Vans and scooters.
    Also the Admins wouldn't have seen any of these incredibly important changes as they don't use boards much.

That explains why they havent noticed that this board is called "I Know exactly what the admins are thinking" instead of "Feedback"
    Now I'd like to continue but my eyeballs have rolled back into my skull and now I'm relying on my touchtyping sjills t o wriitethis..

I would have thought you'd have a better view of what your typing from back there...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

FYI I'm currently taking odds on dustaz and amp waking up in bed together after the next beers. As you may guess, those odds have just narrowed marginally.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

amp wrote:
    Also my bathroom is filthy, what are the admins going to do about that?
    I hear it's called the Manhattan Project. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Victor wrote:
    I hear it's called the Manhattan Project. :D
    If you build that in Civ everyone gets nukes not just you. Caught me out a bit the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Apperently my comment was irrellevnt / pointless / unproductive.

Darn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

DapperGent wrote:
    If you build that in Civ everyone gets nukes not just you. Caught me out a bit the first time.
    Missed the big warning in the game about it then? Presupposes the existence of an Alan Nunn May for every civ but that's a reasonable assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

sceptre wrote:
    Missed the big warning in the game about it then?
    I'm afraid so. I tend to just click every pop up message without reading it. Not no more now. I've learnt through experience.

Dustaz wrote:
    How silly of me not to notice that we live in a world where we all drive dependable volkswagons and noone bothers with frivolities like sports cars, SUVs, Vans and scooters.

Nice analogy. Here's another: I'd prefer that the roads, traffic lights and roundabouts worked before precious time is wasted by fixing the furry dice in my car.
    Dustaz wrote:
    That explains why they havent noticed that this board is called "I Know exactly what the admins are thinking" instead of "Feedback"

Dustaz! Defender of the Masters of the Obvious!

I suspose your right, the admins couldn't possibly remember that they implemented the various hacks that we all became used to pre-vb3. I mean look at ecksors post count, he's never posted at all!

(Thankfully my eyes rolled so far back they went 360 degrees allowing me to see again but with an insane squint. So back to normal then)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I feel amps angry rants are misrepresenting my post. Im not giving orders or lodging a complaint, i like the changes and just if the admins were in two minds as to wether or not they should bring those features back I wanted to give my 2cents. Thats it.

Those little things actually make boards the comunity it is imo, not just an internet site. but I suppose now you'll tell me it is only a site blah blah blah.
    Relax, you'll live longer.

The little things make the community? I thought people made a community. I don't think the boards community is in any danger because I don't have 4 red stars like I used to. You also seem to be interepting my posts as angry which puzzles me as I've merely been posting my normal buffoonary.

Man, people take me too seriously sometimes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I feel amps angry rants are misrepresenting my post. Im not giving orders or lodging a complaint, i like the changes and just if the admins were in two minds as to wether or not they should bring those features back I wanted to give my 2cents. Thats it.

Those little things actually make boards the comunity it is imo, not just an internet site. but I suppose now you'll tell me it is only a site blah blah blah.
    Relax, you'll live longer.

Indeed.
    While things have been running rather smoothly, given the big leap involved in changing from VB2 to 3, its no harm to point out the things you would hate to see dropped from boards.
    I'm sure most of the things you mentioned will return in time, and probably more cool stuff too. I also know that there is more important stuff to sort out first (I'm sure you know that too) first.

Still, this is a feedback forum, and you certainly arent ordering the admins around, demanding the return of these things within 3 days or else <enter attack methods here>. for the record, I dont miss the blue squiggles, nor do I care about the smileys, but I would like to see the others return at some stage.

I think its fair to say that this is a wish list, of sorts....:D

flogen

Advertisement