Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fay Wray dies.

• 09-08-2004 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Fay Wray, the shrieking blond beauty who earned fame as the frightened girl stalked by King Kong up the Empire State Building, has died at age 96.

Spokesman Greg Mitchell of the Writers Guild of America West in Los Angeles said Canadian-born Wray died on Sunday in New York. Born Vina Fay Wray in Cardston, Alberta, on September 15, 1907, she was one of six children. Her family moved to the United States when she was 3.

Having appeared in about 100 films, she was best known for her role in the movie "King Kong" in 1933 and she also starred as a Mexican aristocrat in "Viva Villa!"

Wray was barely in her teens when she began her silver-screen career as a extra. She went on to be regularly cast as a heroine in silent movies and made her break-through in 1928's "The Wedding March."

In the early 1930's, she made a number of horror movies, including Doctor X (1932) and The Vampire Bat (1933) and became known as Hollywood's first "scream queen." After those movies, Wray was told her next job would be working with a tall, dark leading man.

"(King Kong Director Merian C. Cooper) called me into his office and showed me sketches of jungle scenes, and told me 'You're going to have the tallest, darkest leading man in Hollywood.' Naturally, I thought Clark Gable," Wray recalled.

"But then he showed me this sketch of a giant ape up the side of the Empire State Building, he said, 'There's your leading man.'"

Wray's character won praise for its combination of sex appeal, vulnerability and lung capacity as she was stalked by the beast to the top of the famed New York skyscraper.

But her career fell into decline after Kong and she retired from movies in 1942 after her second marriage.

In 1953, she made a comeback in character roles and made movies until 1958 and worked in television into the 60s. But she was forever known as the girl held in King Kong's palm.

"At the premiere of 'King Kong' I wasn't too impressed. I thought there was too much screaming," Wray once said of her most famous role. "I didn't realise then that King Kong and I were going to be together for the rest of our lives, and longer."

In 1989, her autobiography "On the Other Hand" was published to critical acclaim. Wray had a daughter, Susan, by her first marriage to John Monk Saunders, and two children, Robert and Vicky, with Robert Riskin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I wonder if she would have got a cameo role in Peter Jackson's version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Raoul Duke wrote:
    I wonder if she would have got a cameo role in Peter Jackson's version.
    At the age of 96, i really doubt she would have even been up to it!

I'd say Peter Jackson may dedicate his version of 'King Kong' to her or give her special thanks.

Sure how old was that dame in Titanic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Micheal Wittman

Raoul Duke wrote:
    Sure how old was that dame in Titanic?
    Someone told me she was done with cgi graphics :D

Someone told me she was done with cgi graphics :D

Like Yoda? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carpocrates

basquille wrote:
    I'd say Peter Jackson may dedicate his version of 'King Kong' to her or give her special thanks.

Thanks for what? standing in a giant rubber gorilla hand and emptying her ample lungs at the camera?
    The film should be dedicated to the guy inside the monkey suit. I can only imagine he died impoverished in some gutter, you know, the way all these movie nobodies do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

The lights at the top of the empire state building were just dimmed for 15 minutes (from 9:30 - 9:45 pm) today in Wray's honor. Twas quite nice, cause all of the people on the radio kept yelling at everyone to look out their windows at the lack of lights. Nice of them to do that in her memory.
    (Good god did she have a pair of lungs or what. My voice hurts every time I watch King Kong.)

Advertisement