Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6230

• 19-02-2004 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭

Lo all.

Anyone hear anything about the Nokia 6230 ?
    Release dates , reviews etc.?

Its been pre-order on expansys for ages.

Cheers

S.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

I have mine on order. Was told it should be in by beginning of March. €450 Sim Free ...

Looks like a great phone. Still small screen but now its 65K TFT. Bluetooth ... about time Nokia starting including this on all their handsets. Memory card slot supplied with 32mb MMC. Video capture feature (5 minute videos) and an MP3 Player ! and still only the size of a 7250!

no6230_00.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Cool, cheers V10.

I presume its the same story as the 6600, with regards to Vodafone and O2 not selling it yet. (some network upgrades (wap 2.0) issues)?
    Anyone hear anything else on this?

Agreed V10, very nice phone, bout time Nokia started adding Bluetooth to its more "normal" :rolleyes: looking phones.
    I mean, 6610? hello? ffs!

Anyway, upgrade due to me in Aprill ! hopefully they be released by then Yey!

:)

I have a 6600 at the moment and due to the WAP 2.0 thing the MMS and Wap don't work ... I presume the 6230 is the same ... haven't heard whether it works backwards with wap 1.2 like the P900 etc...

Although the 6230 will be available shortly simfree, I've heard Vodafone won't support Wap 2.0 until May or June so I guess that means they won't be in the range until July or there abouts ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The problems experienced by 6600 customers will be experienced by owners of the 6220 and 6320...

As for when the WAP Gateways will be upgraded, last Feb, early March is the date being bandied about. June is pushing it a bit!?

June is pushing it a bit!?

I hope you're right ... Last time I spoke to Vodafone they said May ... O2 are saying March. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its scheduled for early April with Vodafone!

Got my 6230 today and I like it ... best phone from Nokia in a long time ...

Bluetooth work 100% with my Nokia Bluetooth Kit and appears to be louder than the 6600 was through the same kit.

Bluetooth also works fine with my USB Bluetooth Adaptor on my PC and allows file transfer without any Nokia Software (6600 wouldn't !) (... you do get software, but I haven't run it yet) ... Alllows you use your PC mic & speakers as Bluetooth handsfree device (6600 wouldn't !)

Screen is far better than the likes of the 7250, 6610 etc
    Video player does the job as a gimmick but you won't be making any Oscar winning Movies with it !

MP3 player is pretty good with descent quality sound through the phones loadspeaker and MP3's can be used as ringtones !

Mp3's, poly tones and all other sounds play through any bluetooth handsree device also ...

Comes with a 32mb MMC memory card (I've already upgraded mine to a 128mb) ... which holds plenty ... video requires about 380 kb's per minute of video and the phone can record up to 4 minutes per clip (6600 is only 10 seconds!)

Only downside is that like the 6600 it uses WAP 2.0 so Wap & MMS won't work with Vodafone or O2 at the moment (suprisingly Meteor do support WAP 2.0!).

Anyway I'm happy with it ... Paid €450 Sim Free BTW ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Hey v10, who did u buy it from, did u get the black one? Have u got any real life pics....to indicate size.

Originally posted by Fabritzo
    Hey v10, who did u buy it from, did u get the black one? Have u got any real life pics....to indicate size.

Got it from The Phone Stores in Rathcoole ... and no it's the 'Pearl White' colour ...

Here's some crap(sorry!) pictures taken with a 7250 of the 6230 along side a 7250i.

It's slightly smaller than a 7250i.

It's a nice size, classy phone, does anyone know the difference between the new screens and the old? Is that shop a vodafone dealer? I reckon I'll be purchasing one soon.

• Advertisement

The Screen is the same size as the old, but has been upgraded to a 65k screen from a 4K Screen (65K = 65000 colours = much better picture than 4000 colours !)

Yes they are a Vodafone, O2 and Meteor Dealer and are all over south east.

In the Phone Book (The Phone Stores)

Ok thanx, I suppose I'd have to order it, or does anyone have an idea where one might pick one up in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭term

3G store in Henry St got some in today, but gone already. Say they may have more tomorrow. Price €449/€499 can't remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

Does it have a radio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭emagdnim

camera quality?

Yes it has a radio (and comes with stereo headset)

Image Quality ... see sample attached

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

The camera looks similar quality to the Nokia 6600. How is it in low light conditions both outdoor and indoor? I find my 6600 a little poor unless there's a lot of light about :)

Also, how do you find the responsiveness of the phone? As a reference, I find the 6610, 7210 and 7250i lag a little...

- Neil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

hrm mine is arriving monday(€405) ,
    i was just wondering what BT adapters had been used with it no problem, rather not have to play around with one for hours to get it to work....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

The carphone warehouse in galway are getting them in in the next week.

429 Euros sim free.

Rabbit

I rang the 3G shop on Henry Street in Dublin, they can only seem to get the white ones for €450. I want a black one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

the camara quality aint to shabby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Originally posted by Fabritzo
    I rang the 3G shop on Henry Street in Dublin, they can only seem to get the white ones for €450. I want a black one.

the covers are changeable on em, i'll swap u my black cover for a white one if ye like ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Any ideas where the cheepest place to buy the 6230 is i see 3G @ €450 and another place for €405 (dont know where). Anyone done better than this??

Originally posted by optiplexgx270
    ... and another place for €405 (dont know where)

Find out where and take their arm and all ...

Best I've seen them for was €439 which seems to be about as cheap as you'll get them in a shop here. Possibly cheaper on the net somewhere ...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Are they available as an upgrade yet with O2 or are they just available SIM free
    at the moment.???

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yoman

Anyone managed to get thier hands on one of these yet? I am thinking of getting one and looking for opinions.

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭wheelbarrow

..was told different stories in different stores.....

02 in Grafton Street last Saturday...."it will be three of four months"

02 in Henry Street .."3 or four weeks.."

02 in Grafton Street on Tuesday...."next month"

Vodafone on Grafton Street " next month"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

I bought mine about 2 weeks ago from 3G on Henry street and I have to say I'm very happy with it... My previous phone was a P800 and it's such a relief having a nice cute teeny phone, it basically does everything my P800 did but in a far more practicle form. The only thing I found was that the menu/directional button takes a wee while to get used to and of course the trouble getting set up with MMS and Wap atm but hopefully that will be sorted soon :)

Anyone who wants a small phone with lotsa features then this is the phone for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by Beat Freak
    it basically does everything my P800 did but in a far more practicle form

the 6320 may well do everything you used your P800 for :), but they are very different in many ways... 6320 is a decent handset with good features but the P800 is a real "Smartphone" device

BrianG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Been thinking of getting one of these? Any1 got one? They worth it? The fact its a nokia with bluetooth and isn't an awkward size/shape is the major attraction for me!

Advertisement