Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owen to go???

• 10-08-2004 5:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

I was looking through headlines on papers and on http://www.timesonline.co.uk
    there was a headline saying "real move in for owen" you need to be a member to read it so i cant read it, and no other paper has it!! all i can read is
    "Michael Owen is on the verge of leaving Liverpool for Madrid as a snag in contract talks forced the club to seek his transfer."

I hope this isnt true! i think owen is vital to liverpool!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Just saw news of it on
    The Sun
    BBC
    Liverpool Echo

Hasnt hit Skysports as of yet .. The transfer hinges on him playing or not tomorrow night in Graz , Come on Michael sign a new contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

No harm if he does go cause we have baros and pognelle.Plus i read somewhere morientas might be thrown in as a makeway to the deal.If he wants to go let him.I doubt very much he would get in the real madrid anyways.I suppose been a true liverpool fan i hope he does stay but as liverpool arent as reliant on owen as much like they used too before.I hope we have a good win tonight, post benitez era, its exciting times to be a liverpool fan and good news too that ritchie partridge is on his way back too full fitness and hopefully pushing for a place after the smcier injury and sadly danny murply.I always like that guy, he was such a grafter and gave his heart too liverpool.Its a shame but benitez knows what hes doing so i wouldnt worry too much.Im starting to ramble now, blame it on me finishing my gruelling 12 hour shift working for HP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

If Owen does go to Madrid, Stevie Gerard is going to be one ticked off scouser....he could be Viera's replacement at Highbury yet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I doubt Real will get Owen and Veria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

He had a meeting with the club on Friday and was told it's time to sign a new contract or be sold. Rick Parry and Benitez want the situation resolved one way or the other before the season starts.

Real have made an enquiry about a potential swap deal - Morientes, Figo + cash (less than €5M). Owen met with the Real officials over the weekend and things could move quickly now. The club have also informed Barcelona about the player's availability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Owen is one of the most over rated players! the only reason every1 thinks he is great is because the media in the UK build him up so much! the last 2 seasons he was terrible when playing, spent most of the time injuryed! was terrible in Euro Champs! Cisse and Baros would be a ten times better combination up front! dont see why Gerrard wud be pissed? if he is such a great player he should see that Owen is not! Keane would certainly see that! also would tell him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I cant understand Owen leaving things so late right up to the last minute. That will be unsettling no matter what he decides and gives him less room to manoever. He should have either sealed a deal with Liverpool b4 the euro 2004 (he probably would have got a better deal than now) or else made it clear that he was going to seek a transfer.

I think that he has personal issues and I see a lack of confidence in him which affects his play and scoring ability. He was poor for most of last season and at euro 2004. He obviously is a player with skill and does have his moments but needs pace to be effective and with his injury problems he has been less of a stalwart for Liverpool than he should have been.

Liverpool never like to see star players go but if he is so unsettled then it is better to bite the bullet. Liverpool will miss him. Morientes wont be so much of a replacement (Raul would be better though). Figo is past his best.

Owen wont get so much in the market now and in monetary terms Liverpool have probably lost about 10m or more by not selling him b4 euro 2004 in comparison to selling him now.

I see a yet another year of transition ahead for Liverpool and they will be doing well if they manage to get 4th again.

redspider wrote:
    (Raul would be better though)

Raul was sh*t last season and also in Euro Champs! Real went downhill once Ronaldo was injuryed because they had to rely on Raul for there goals! cant head the ball! yeah fantastic player! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If Owen pays tonight he will be ineligible to play for Real in Europe for the rest of the season. Therefore, if he plays tonight he won't be going to Madrid. If he doesn't play there is something up. Benitez said Owen is in the 19 man squad and if he doesn't play him its for football reasons only.

If I was a Liverpool fan I'd be happy to see him go but not for an exchange.

Being reported that:

"Owen's father Terry and his advisor Tony Stephens were believed to be in the Spanish capital to discuss "

• Advertisement

redspider wrote:
    Morientes wont be so much of a replacement (Raul would be better though).
    Morientes would be a definite improvement. Owen has been unable to form a partnership with any striker he has been paired with. Morientes is more adaptable and he is actually good in the air which is a bonus in the Premiership.

I think he is going to leave.

This what the Official Liverpool website is saying:
    "But let's remember, football is a team game. As Benitez said yesterday he has 19 players with him in Graz and Owen is just one small part of that squad.

No individual is bigger than this club. This has never been the case and never will be. In the past Liverpool has survived the loss of such luminaries as Billy Liddell, Bill Shankly, Kevin Keegan, Bob Paisley, Ian Rush and Kenny Dalglish.

If there is truth in this speculation - and that's all it is at the moment, speculation - and Michael Owen does decide it's time to seek a fresh challenge elsewhere then he'll go with the best wishes of everyone at Anfield. But life goes on.

Hopefully it won't come to this. Hopefully, Michael will realise that the grass is not always greener on the other side and pledge his future to Liverpool, in much the same way as Steven Gerrard.

True, his departure would be a devastating blow. But not half as devastating as failure to qualify for the group stage of the Champions League would be."

irish1 wrote:
    Michael will realise that the grass is not always greener on the other side and pledge his future to Liverpool
    I've just heard that the money offered by Real is not comparable what's on offer from Liverpool.

The hitch with the contract extension with Liverpool is the length of contract. Liverpool want him to sign for three years at least, Parry has said if Owen signs for five years he can leave on a bosman afterwards. Owen wants to sign a one year extension or two at most. The club aren't happy with that because it just means the same situation will arise again next summer.

If he signs an extension I think he will be sold next summer.

Sky Sports news say £10mil + Morientes or Eto'o. I'd definitely prefer Eto'o, he has an average of a goal every 2 games for Mallorca and has only turned 23. Since Mallorca own half of him i don't know how that would work though.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Sky Sports news say £10mil + Morientes or Eto'o. I'd definitely prefer Eto'o, he has an average of a goal every 2 games for Mallorca and has only turned 23. Since Mallorca own half of him i don't know how that would work though.

Eto class and young! better player than Morientes! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

A story just posted on Yahoo!

Owen rumours arouse little interest in Madrid -- for now
    Tue 10 Aug, 11:19 AM

MADRID (Reuters) - Reports linking Michael Owen with Real Madrid have been greeted sceptically in the Spanish capital -- a fact that will be of little comfort to Liverpool fans anxious about the England forward's possible departure.

British newspapers claimed overnight that Real were willing to pay 10 million pounds in cash for Owen while sending Fernando Morientes or Real Mallorca's Samuel Eto'o -- a player they part own -- to Anfield in a package deal.

A Real spokeswoman said on Tuesday the club had nothing to say about the story, while Spanish media were uncharacteristically reluctant to take up the tale.

Marca, one of two Spanish sports dailies with close links to Real, did note the rumours but said Real directors had flatly denied to them any interest in signing Owen, a former European Player of the Year.

It would be unwise to take any denial from Real at face value, however, given the track record of Florentino Perez over recent seasons.

The Real president flatly denied any interest in signing David Beckham -- "Never, never, never," was his famous refrain -- a few months before agreeing to pay Manchester United up to 35 million euros for the England captain.

Perez was similarly coy about confirming the club's previous big name signings, Luis Figo, Ronaldo and Zinedine Zidane, before they were poached from their clubs.

The Real president has promised to continue with his policy of signing one 'galactico' per season.

Argentine centre back Walter Samuel, signed from Roma for 25 million euros, and Arsenal's France midfielder Patrick Vieira, the club's current target, do not quite fit the bill and newspapers are convinced Perez will move for another top class forward.

Owen would certainly fit that description and a transfer fee of about 15 million euros would make him a bargain.

Real coach Jose Antonio Camacho would hardly be delighted by his arrival, though. Camacho has gone on record as saying he does not want any more forwards, pleading instead for defensive players to balance the team.

Camacho already has two undroppable strikers in Ronaldo and Raul so, even if Morientes were used as a makeweight in the deal, Owen would not be assured of a regular place in the starting lineup.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/040810/2/5j07.html

Eto class and young! better player than Morientes! :D
    Eto isn't consistent, like Owen he scores goals in spurts and then disappears. Morientes offers something different to the strikers Liverpool currently have.

The links with Eto are only appearing because Real are desperately trying to find a buyer for the player outside of Spain. Mallorca want money (€14M) for the player and Madrid are refusing to buy their share of the player and won't allow him to be sold to Barcelona - Mallorca are threatening to sell their share to Barca if Real don't cough up the money. If Madrid find a club to pay Mallorca the €14M for the player they'll throw in their 50% share for free. There's a bit more as well but I'm not allowed to mention it yet.

The first I heard about the 'Owen Leaving' story was yesterday lunchtime on the Liverpool Daily Post site. Today, they have an editorial-style article about the proposed transfer. It's very long but I thought it was very
    well-written:

Why Owen decision will shape Liverpool's future
    Aug 10 2004

By Andy Hunter, Daily Post

THE implications facing Michael Owen as he ponders the opportunity to become the next Galactico are enormous, yet they pale in comparison to what his departure could mean for Liverpool.

Should the striker act on his recent intentions and extend his 13-year career at Anfield, a situation that looked increasingly unlikely last night as Liverpool officials refused to puncture the rumours sweeping their own camp, then the gathering momentum of pre-season optimism will increase in the knowledge they retain the power to keep their two biggest stars out of the advances of two of the richest clubs in Europe, Chelsea and now Madrid.

But should Owen take the path Steven Gerrard resisted when he rejected Chelsea's £35million, £110,000-a-week offer and seek pastures new then the knock-on effect at Liverpool will be vast.

A £10m downpayment plus the services of either Cameroon international Samuel Eto'o or Fernando Morientes would, on the surface, appear a decent exchange for a player with less than 12 months remaining on his Liverpool contract.

But Michael Owen means more than that to Liverpool and not being able to keep him at Anfield, despite overhauling their management structure in the summer and spending £14m on a new strike partner in Djibril Cisse, would send out alarming signals it would be impossible to ignore inside and outside the club.

Forced to choose between which of their two greatest assets they would want to keep this summer most Liverpool fans had their prayers answered when Gerrard rejected Chelsea.

Having made his own 11th-hour U-turn with the confidence and reassurance Liverpool could launch a genuine title challenge "from the first day to the last" this season, however, what must the club's inspirational captain be thinking of those prospects now that the main beneficiary of his passing game could be on his way? Disillusioned would seem a safe bet.

Other players would also be damaged by the loss of Owen's reflective glory, not least record signing Cisse who finally arrived at Liverpool in the hope of forging a fruitful partnership with the England international.

But it is the impact an Owen exit would have on Gerrard that would cause most concern among the rank-and-file as he watches a fellow world class talent leave and dent Liverpool's prospects of an immediate revival this season in the process. And that is just the consequences among the playing staff.

Should Owen and Danny Murphy both leave Anfield in the next few days it will mark the end of an era for Liverpool, albeit one that failed to hit the heights promised only two years ago, and will mean that within a month of working with his new squad Rafael Benitez has seen most of the English heart ripped out of it.

The sanctioned sale of Murphy was understandable when it appeared the only way to raise funds for a £10m move for Xabi Alonso but less so if Liverpool were aware that money for Owen was in the pipeline.

Perhaps they were not aware, or perhaps Benitez is bravely implementing wholesale change following two seasons of underachievement and will fill the void with a quality alternative. Time will reveal all.

But it is only 10 days since Owen spoke of his belief that the club will present a much more formidable championship challenge this season under Benitez, even though that was under-scored with the ambition that challenge and achievement are two very different spheres in football.

Owen said: "Most people in football are very ambitious and I am no different. I want to win the biggest prizes and that is no different to when I started out in the game.

"We were far away from winning any of the main prizes last season so we need to catch up a lot now.

"There is no doubt that a change of management has spurred people on and it gives everyone the sense of a fresh start.

"We were not close to any of the major honours last year but I am convinced we will be much closer this season."

Medals not money has always been the motivating force for Owen, a 24-year-old rich beyond care but who in eight years as a Liverpool regular has not once been close to winning the Premiership or the Champions League.

Now, after indicating he wants to at least listen to what Madrid have to offer following an approach at the weekend, it seems he doubts whether Liverpool can actually win either within the next year or two.

And that is what will occupy his mind as he decides whether and where to go next.

Owen exploded on to the Liverpool scene at 17, the international conscience a year later with that goal, and, impossible though it seemed at the time, his stock is in danger of decline with every passing season without the pinnacles of success at home and abroad.

With a limited career at the very top now heading towards its peak the question throughout his contract negotiations was always how much longer he was prepared to give Liverpool to realise his ambitions. With Madrid now on the scene, that timespan could shorten drastically.

Owen has given loyal and magnificent service to Liverpool since joining the club as an 11-year-old schoolboy, doing as much to promote the club's image around the world as to revive pride and brief success, most notably winning the FA Cup single-handedly against Arsenal in 2001.

Loyalty in a modern-day footballer is a rare virtue, and while many will wish Owen well if he succumbs to the lure of the Bernabeu others will criticise the tortuous delay in reaching a decision on a new deal.

But Liverpool must share responsibility for that too. At best they are guilty of taking the striker's loyalty for granted, at worst, of a costly business error.

How one of the most high-profile figures in world football, a man with a £50m price-tag on his head when he won the Ballon D'Or in 2002, was able to reach the final 10 months of a contract and put the club into a corner on the eve of a crucial Champions League qualifier worth at least £17m is a mystery that must be answered at a later date.

But the mystery of where Owen's future lies - Merseyside or Madrid - is about to be revealed within days.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=14515556%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26page=1%26headline=why%2dowen%2ddecision%2dwill%2dshape%2dliverpool%2ds%2dfuture-name_page.html

A few things here. Are people saying that Morientes is better than Owen? If so, why not just do a straight swap? I dont think any club rates Morientes over Owen.

I agree that the difference between Raul and Morientes may not be so great, indeed it can vary. But arguably Morientes had a talisman season last year and is not likely to be as good this year. Raul is still a good poacher in front of goal and would do well in England. I haven't seen enough of Etoo to judge but if he is the Etoo who I think he is then he is not all that good surely. I would still rate Raul above Morientes in terms of a partnership with Cisse and Baros.

The Liverpool Echo articles have put the points across well. Owen is at a cross-roads in his career and would like to move to Real. Its also true that Real probably dont need him though.

I still say that all this last minute haggling and dealing is a bad deal for all concerned, Liverpool and Michael both. Liverpool look as if they are going to get very little value.

Question: If Michael is a sub and doesn't play, is he still cup-tied for the CL? Or will we have to wait for the full match to know .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

It is all over the papers over here about Owen Leaving. I hope that he does not, for the same reasons and more that I had hoped robbie fowler wouldn't but if he does leave then the team will have to get over it and move on.

• Advertisement

redspider wrote:
    Question: If Michael is a sub and doesn't play, is he still cup-tied for the CL? Or will we have to wait for the full match to know .....
    No he'll only be cup tied if he plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Real typically don't deny contact afaik. But here is just such a denial...
    from skysports

Real Madrid have denied that they are interested in signing Michael Owen from Liverpool, insisting Patrick Vieira is their top transfer target.

It had been widely reported in England that Real, as well as arch rivals Barcelona, were planning a shock swoop for the England marksman after talks over a new contract at Anfield stalled.

Owen has only one year left on his current deal and, like Steve McManaman previously, Liverpool face the prospect of losing him for nothing in 12 months' time.

However, Real assistant sporting director Emilio Butragueno has declared Los Merengues are focusing all their efforts on landing Vieira from Arsenal, and have not made enquiries for Owen.

"Only Vieira interests us at the moment," Butragueno declared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

To be honest I'm not sure I really care if he goes or not, only that he makes his bloody mind up. Benitez should make a point of NOT playing him tonight and force his hand.

Mike.

uberwolf wrote:
    "Only Vieira interests us at the moment," Butragueno declared.
    They have definitely made enquiries about Owen, but whether they want to sign him now or for free next summer is another matter.

I think that Liverpool will give Owen his 1 year extension and then sell him next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

The word is that there are three possible options:

a) straight 10m cash deal for MO
    b) Player swap (no cash) Morientes coming this way
    c) Player swap (no cash) Etoo coming this way

Real DO have the money to sign Viera and MO, especially at a knock down price of 10m, too good a deal. (Viera is a done deal)

The other two options are a bit more complicated.

Rafa was VERY keen on Etoo and did attempt to sign him while at Valencia, however he would be the hardest to convince if a swap deal was to go ahead. There is also the wranggle over his registration, which should be sorted out by Friday, Real are still looking the more likely to win out in this arguement. (he is still owned by Mallorca & Real, fact)

It would seem Morinetes would be the easier option, he will not play 4th fiddle behing Ronaldo, Raul and MO, hence his only option would be to agree to come here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

you really dont rate Morientes do you ? , he is quality an all-round striker(especially good in the air) who can link up well with other players , I would rate Moerientes above Raul .

Et'o im not too sure about , he has blistering pace but his finnishing im not too sure about .I know he scores lots of goals but he's a bit like Andy Cole , will get in place to have lots of chances but dosent take enough of them .
    Still for €14 million he would be a bargain .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I'm really surprised Owen is in talks with Madrid. He has left it very late. I think £10million is a bit cheap, bit since he only has 1 year left on his contract it would be good business for Pool.
    I would be very surprised if Madrid landed Vieira and Owen this week. I think Pool will be very thin up front because they will only have Baros and Cisse and thats alot of presure on Cisse to deliver the goals in he first season.

I wouldn't read a whole lot in denials, they denied that they were going to sign Beckham! Teams are to be announced in the next few minutes that will tell a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

irish1 wrote:
    Teams are to be announced in the next few minutes that will tell a lot.
    He's on the bench - saving him for Spurs maybe???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Apparently it's a 'football decision' why Owen isn't playing.The manager will say after the game that he wasn't told not to pick Michael tonight.
    He's not playing because he preferred Cisse and Baros for this game. That's what he's going to say.

Mark my words.

Rafa to clever for the media

" I only want the best "
    not I want Owen OR I dont want Owen.

reporter
    "is it true that Owen is leaving the club"

Rafa
    "He's here now Noo"

*throws fuel on fire*

Even through my liverbird glasses it appears that owen is heading for the door.

The 0-2 win over Graz in a way makes Owen's bargaining position slightly more difficult as Liverpool are now closer to guaranteeing that all important CL group stage income source and need Owen less, if you catch my drift. That will mean lower salary expectations.

It looks like Owen is in a very difficult position. Who would imagine that he would effectively be dropped for an important CL match such as this and I still find it unusual for the player to be left in limbo land like this. Viera is in a similar position.

I think it would be better for the sport if there was a much narrower signing window for eligibility to play (you cant stop players from changing employers) which is put in effect Uefa wide and would close before the seasons commence. That would get rid of this will he wont he scenario that we are now in.

uberwolf wrote:
    Real typically don't deny contact afaik. But here is just such a denial...
    Real deny Beckham interest ;)

Marca

Roughly translated for those without spanish.

Michael Owen can become the galactic one of season 2004-2005. Liverpool and Real Madrid already are negotiating and in the next hours an agreement could be sealed by as, the English forward could happen to comprise of the list of players del first equipment del Real Madrid. Owen is enchanted with the possibility of becoming player of Madrid and has made arrive at the offices of the Bernabéu that is arranged to remain to a year supporting the pressure that is suffering in Liverpool so that it renews the contract that finishes the 30 of June of 2005, with so dressing target (they offer 85,000 weekly euros to him, which would turn the best one paid to him of England). It does not want to follow in Liverpool does not matter to hope to him, but so and as it happens with Vieira it is forcing the machine and it wants that the operation went ahead one season. In fact, the previous phase of the Champions with the only objective of being able did not play yesterday with the Liverpool to do it in Real Madrid, as long as the white equipment eliminates the Wisla Cracovia. Owen responds which it looks for Florentino Perez: quality and commercial pull. It is not necessary to forget that the still front one of the Liverpool was the Gold Ball of year 2001. And from that moment the name of Owen been has indicated in red in the agenda of the president of Real Madrid. It is certain that its last year specially good has not been motivated partly by the injuries, but their goleador instinct and its mobility continue intact. Camacho, to as much Jose Antonio Camacho is to as much of the possible operation and although its priority right now is to close the sooner the hiring of Patrick Vieira, it would not see with bad eyes the arrival of a fast and young forward (24 years). And it is that Owen is the player profile who him lack, since it combines the rapidity with the goleador instinct. Thursday, day nails the leaders of Madrid and Liverpool has been located to speak the next Thursday, once both equipment disputes the aways game of the previous one of the Champions. The idea of the white leaders, and that well is received by those of Anfield, is the one to include in the operation the crossing of Samuel Etoo and in addition the payment to an amount that would never surpass the six million euros, reason why the total post of the operation would approach the 30 million euros. Etoo, as mode of payment Will be today when Madrid communicates to the Cameroun the idea that it has with respect to his future. The problem that can exist is that the Barça offers to Etoo amounts (five clean million plus by title gained million more) that are outside the reach of the Liverpool. To favor it is the fact of Etoo wants to play in a great one, the Liverpool is it, and in the Champions. Another circumstance which it can approach Etoo to the Liverpool and by extension Owen Madrid is that Benítez, technician of the equipment of Anfield Road, is a tired admirer his

• Advertisement

It's just a hunch I have, but I can't see Owen, Vieira and Beckham on the real books all this season. Ive a feeling Beckham will move on.

Eto'o is going to Barcelona. They put in a bid of €24M for him last week and Madrid had seven days to cough up the €12M (50% of the fee offered) to buy out Mallorca's share of the player in order to prevent Barca signing the player. From what I was told the deadline has expired.

Barca have offered Eto'o a pay deal which includes a €1M bonus if they win La Liga or the Champions League. Liverpool won't offer a similar pay deal.

Bannor, Madrid own 50% of Eto'o, how come they have no say in him going to Barca? Also, do they get 12m from the sale?

He has also said that he will be a barca players soon. Liverpool already have one player that wants to play for barca, we can do without another. Morientes please.

his exact words

---snip---
    "Today I feel like a Barcelona player," said the 23-year-old Cameroon striker. "For reasons that have nothing to do with me the deal has been delayed for a few days, but don't worry because joining Barca is still my overwhelming desire."

"For some time I have wanted to wear the Barcelona shirt and help them in their pre-season preparations," he said
    ---snip---

From todays editions of Marca and AS

• Advertisement

The ownership is shared between Madrid and Mallorca. It's in the agreement between the clubs that if one club wants to sell the player then Eto'o is put up for sale and the other club gets first option to buy the other's share for 50% of the highest offer received. In accordance with the agreement Eto'o was put up for sale and the only club that made a serious offer was Barcelona. Mallorca wanted to make €15M out of the deal so the asking price was €30M, the other €15M would go to Madrid.

In the end Mallorca compromised and settled for getting €12M because Barcelona is offering them an option on future sales of players and player loans.

After the bid was accepted, Madrid had a week to come up with the €12M to exercise the option to buy out Mallorca. They chose not to and are now scrambling to get Liverpool to take the player - not likely to happen because Liverpool won't offer a pay deal like Barcelona and the option has also expired.

Does that mean that Madrid were only forcing the Owen issue to prevent Barca getting Eto'o? Do they actually want / need Owen or do they just not give a crap about whether anyone else gets unsettled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'd guess mainly (3) with a bit of (1) and (2) thrown in ... ;)

p.pete wrote:
    Does that mean that Madrid were only forcing the Owen issue to prevent Barca getting Eto'o? Do they actually want / need Owen or do they just not give a crap about whether anyone else gets unsettled?
    From what I've heard Madrid did not come in for Owen. Parry and Benitez met with Owen and said it was time to sign a contract or be sold. After the meeting Benitez contacted Madrid and Barcelona to say the player was available. Madrid sent some representatives to England to meet the player immediately.

Owen is on the list of Galaticos that Perez wants to bring to the club, the thing is that he didn't expect Owen to become available so soon or so cheap and that is why they moved so quickly. They're trying to offer Eto'o as part of the deal because they hope that it will kill his move to Barcelona at the same time.

I am hearing reports that it is the club that is holding up the new contract
    It is being said that Liverpool offered Owen to Real

Owen is not on the plane back from Austria. Further evidence.

Owen is not on the plane back from Austria. Further evidence.
    Fook

Dub13 wrote:
    I am hearing reports that it is the club that is holding up the new contract
    The club bent over backwards for Owen. Owen wanted Benitez to replace Houllier and then he'd sign a contract, Gerrard wanted Curbishley - the club went for Benitez and almost lost Gerrard to Chelsea as a result. As a new condition Owen wanted a say in the team setup and signings. Owen thought he would receive the same special cotton wool treatment from Benitez that he received from Houllier. That isn't going to happen - Benitez has no loyalty to players and their egos.

Eto'o has joined Barca.

now where was morientes and that 10m?

More (in spanish)

I pressume that would depend on Morientes wanting to move - I'm not sure whether I believe his names inclusions in the stories, lots of things getting thrown about.

At the moment as Bannor pointed out previously Real are trying to buy Owen on short notice and they're also tying down Vieira so a part swap would seem likely. Guess it'd be between Beckham and Morientes...

• Advertisement
Advertisement