Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owen to go???

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Morientes is cup tied he just came on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well that's that out the window then. Liverpool are very unlikely to take a player who can't play in any of the CL games. Still think SW Philips will be coming in to the Pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Morientes scored Real's 2 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eirebhoy wrote:
    Morientes scored Real's 2 goals.

now its a just a question of how much Madrid want for Raul ;) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Hmmm. I will settle for JuanFran and 15m so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

BBC saying this morning that the Owen transfer seems to be off. Please let us not be entering into a Vieira-style will he?/won't he? transfer. I'm still just recovering from the Gerrard saga in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Shamrok wrote:
    BBC saying this morning that the Owen transfer seems to be off. Please let us not be entering into a Vieira-style will he?/won't he? transfer. I'm still just recovering from the Gerrard saga in June.
    Well Morientes is now out of the equation and Eto'o looks set to sign for Barcelona so thats their bargaining tools gone!

He has stalled on his contract for too long now, so as far as im concerned he can **** right off. More rep for rafa, imo.

Well If I was a pool fan (no chance) I'd be pis*ed off at him not signing but I wouldn't be letting him go without having a replacment lined up. I mean Cisse will need a few months to adapt and apart from Baros theres only Pongolle available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

irish1 wrote:
    Well If I was a pool fan (no chance) I'd be pis*ed off at him not signing but I wouldn't be letting him go without having a replacment lined up. I mean Cisse will need a few months to adapt and apart from Baros theres only Pongolle available.

Pongolle isnt a problem, I think he is more than capable.. I really hope Owen goes at this stage..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Real aren't going to buy Owen at all, with Ronaldo, Raul and Morientes it's not like they're short of any firepower up front.

Pongolle isnt a problem, I think he is more than capable.. I really hope Owen goes at this stage..
    Yea but if injurys were to occur they would be very short. He'l probably leave at the end of the season for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

I really hope Owen goes at this stage..

Me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The Owen saga has now gotten worse with what was to me a surprise with Morientes getting two goals for Madrid last night and now seemingly well settled back within the team.

It seems much worse for Owen who is unsettled and unsettling Liverpool. He is losing kudos with Liverpool fans by the second. Even if he stays now and signs a new contract major damage has been done in the minds of players, staff and fans. What is he and his advisors at?

Will he now wait in limbo for a year and wait for a Bosman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

redspider wrote:
    Will he now wait in limbo for a year and wait for a Bosman?
    I'd be very surprised if he got the chance. Either he signs a new long term contract at Liverpool or they will sell him to the highest bidder he'll sign for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Owen to Utd! Go on ya good thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Correct me If I am wrong but Owen doesn't have to move even if he was transfer listed.

Wouldn't want him at United - too 1 dimensional - relies on pace too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

cheesedude wrote:
    Owen to Utd! Go on ya good thing!
    That'd be excellent - as a liverpool fan who's never genuinely liked Owen a would then have a proper reason to dislike him.

Would he get in the team though with Saha and Smith (who AF is praising eagerly) and RVN to come back?

I'd genuinly love to see Owen's reaction to a bit of hair dryer :D

kida wrote:
    Wouldn't want him at United - too 1 dimensional - relies on pace too much.

as opposed to the multidimensional van nistelrooij?

as opposed to the multidimensional van nistelrooij?
    lol Classic post

• Advertisement

BBC reports Jamie Carragher's view on the situation:
    Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has admitted that he understands why team-mate Michael Owen might be tempted by a move to Real Madrid.
    Owen has been linked to the Spanish club and Carragher told the Liverpool website: "I do not think that Michael particularly wants to leave.

"It is more to do with the club that has come in for him.

"Madrid are the biggest club in the world and probably always will be but of course I hope he stays."

Owen and fellow England international Carragher, 26, are good friends and the latter added: "We have spoken about the situation and about his feelings but I will not tell you what he said.

"If he does go then everyone should wish him well.

"He has been at the club a long time and has done so many good things here."

Owen, 24, has been at Liverpool since he was 11 years old and Carragher confirmed: "I have played in the same team as him since we won the FA Youth Cup together back in 1996.

"He virtually won that competition single-handedly for us and then he did the same in the 2001 FA Cup final."

"We will all wish him well if he leaves.

"We all want him to stay because you never want to lose your best players but big players have left this club before and survived."

Any deal with Real Madrid for Owen would now appear to involve a straight cash deal, possibly in the region of £15m.

kida wrote:
    Wouldn't want him at United-relies on pace too much.

and considering he said himself he has lost pace because of his injuries , I wouldnt want him at Newcastle .

We should expect and announcement shortly.

We should expect and announcement shortly.
    Have you heard something?

CARRA: MADRID WOULD BE HARD TO TURN DOWN
    Paul Eaton 12 August 2004

Jamie Carragher today admitted he could understand why Michael Owen might be interested in a move to Real Madrid.
    The Spanish giants have expressed an interest in signing the Liverpool striker and, while Carragher hopes his good friend will stay, he accepts the lure of Madrid is probably too strong for any player to resist.

Carragher said: "It's difficult for the fans because they see Liverpool as the greatest club in the world.

"I don't think it's that Michael particularly wants to leave, it's more to do with the club which has come in for him. Madrid are the biggest club in the world and probably always will be.

"He's a good friend of mine and of course I hope he stays. We've spoken about the situation and about his feelings but I won't tell you what he said!

"If he does go then everyone should wish him well. He's been at the club a long time and has done many good things here. I've played in the same team as him since we won the FA Youth Cup together back in 1996. He virtually won that competition single-handedly for us. Then he did the same in the 2001 FA Cup final.

"We'll all wish him well if he leaves. We all want him to stay because you never want to lose your best players, but big players have left this club before and its survived."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I wouldn't want him at Utd either, I can't imagine Arsenal or Chelsea or Newcastle supporters would want him.
    He needs to get decent service and confidence to get his skill back, also competing with Raul Ronaldo and Morientes for spaces wouldn't do him bad either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just buzzing. I am finding it hard to believe why Real want him...

Oh yeah, well bring your buzzin somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i'm guessing liverpool want rid of him, he won't sign on for as long as they want, but it seems like noone wants him

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Keep Diouf, sell owen - play diouf in his position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Diouf up front, SW Phillips on the right, Kewell on the Left, the born again Biscan in the centre, wouldn't be too bad as it goes, who knows, if players are played in their position they might do a bit better. The 10 Million plus for a departed and unhappy owen would be well spent on SWP. Fair exchange, no robbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Real Madrid don't want to spend more than 20 million euro, Pool want 31. So its just about the price now. Mickey Owen cut price super-sub.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Real Madrid don't want to spend more than 20 million euro, Pool want 31. So its just about the price now. Mickey Owen cut price super-sub.

Mike.

Owen to Madrid and Ameobi to get his first start for the England seniors .

anyone think Owen could be out of the England team and Ameobi in ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I too cant see him hanging on for a Bosman exit, as that would be a waste of a year if he would be out of action all that time, a possible scenario under Benitez. It is true though that a player cant be sold without their agreement, although the conditions for a player that stays against the will of te woners and manager may be very bad. However, I dont think any footballer has ever brought a legal case against a club for what is now officially recognised in industry as "bullying" if such bad treatment is meted out.

You could say that Arsenal were guilty of this last year with Wiltord who was planning to leave on a Bosman. Effectively he was dropped from the team, not because of injury or lack of ability, but only because he was going on a Bosman and clubs must protect their asset value.

Its a sad way for Owen to leave Liverpool, not at the height of either his transfer value or his playing career. He may have some good things to come as he is still very young but this will forever tarnish his reputation amongst Reds fans.

I also blame Houllier and the club owners/Parry for getting into this situation. Players contracts should always be tied up with at least 2 years to go. Just look at what doing so has done to the value of Viera ....

Owen should have signed a deal last year and a club could have still come in for him.

I still cant see why Real would use him now that Morientes is back in the fold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

mayordenis wrote:
    Keep Diouf, sell owen - play diouf in his position.

I NEVER thought I would see the day of someone saying keep Diouf and sell Owen... and yet here we are. The world is a strange place.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm also fed up with Owen and his messing around. I have lost all respect for him. :(

eyerer wrote:
    i'm guessing liverpool want rid of him, he won't sign on for as long as they want, but it seems like noone wants him

Come on I would not go that far....I am sure Shelbourne with all there new cash would take him,he would at least get on the bench at Tolka.

Real close in on Owen
    12/08/2004 - 21:49:42

Real Madrid moved closer to capturing Michael Owen tonight, with sources close to the Spanish giants revealing a fee has been agreed with Liverpool.

Real have agreed to give Liverpool €12m and right-sided midfielder Carlos Nunez for the 24-year-old England striker.

Owen has been linked with a move to the Spanish giants and was apparently left on the bench for his club’s Champions League qualifying win over Graz AK in Austria on Tuesday so as not to be cup-tied.

After the breakdown of contract talks at Liverpool, it became a distinct possibility that Owen would leave the club he has been at since he was 11 years old.

It appeared any transfer would be a straight cash deal – after Real Madrid coach Jose Camacho allowed Fernando Morientes to become cup-tied in the Champions League win at Wisla Krakow last night.

Samuel Eto’o had also been mentioned as a possible makeweight in any deal for Owen but he was determined to join Barcelona.

But the arrival of Nunez will ease Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez’s midfield predicament – Steve Finnan played in that position in Tuesday’s 2-0 defeat of Graz AK.

Owen has always maintained he would not leave on a free transfer next summer at the end of his contract, and if he is unwilling to sign a new deal then Liverpool know they must get the best price now.

Benitez, who wants the saga sorted out after being shocked to find negotiations have been stalling for the past 16 months, apparently wants a fee for the striker now as he looks to rebuild the Liverpool squad.

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher said: “Michael is still our top striker at this club and he will be very hard to replace.

“We have been room-mates and have had a great friendship over the years and I would be disappointed to see him go because he is a great lad.

“We all want Michael to stay because he is our best player, we won the youth cup together and we have been here together a long time.

“But if he does go I wish him well because he has been a great servant to the club.”

Apparently its happened! Owen for £10million/€15 million plus a right sided midfielder who is'nt even a first teas (team!) regular.

Edit: Bah beaten too it!

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Apparently its happened! Owen for £10million/€15 million plus a right sided midfielder who is'nt even in first teas regular.

Edit: Bah beaten too it!

Mike.

You have to be on the ball to beat me with News about Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

lol
    sounds good to me, £10m was realistically the best possiblity and a right sided midfielder too

so, can Carlos Nunez run past people and put a good cross in
    not getting into the real madrid first 11 isn't that embarassing, shouldn't expect owen will do it regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

mike65 wrote:
    a right sided midfielder who is'nt even in first teas regular.

he wasnt in my Champion Manager game either.. !!!!! :eek:

Mr Nunez <see picture>

Thats Martin Keown! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

When GH came in, he sold off all the liverpool players that 'lived' for Liverpool (Fowler etc) and he sold a few donkeys aswell.. then started to bring in a load of French players..

Rafa - is doing the same, but bringing in Spanish Players..

'Le Liverpool' is now coming become 'La Liverpool'.. hopefully it wouldnt be deja.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Taken from todays English Independent

Owen may even be paraded as a Real player later today or tomorrow after a fee of between £8-9m was agreed and Liverpool will also be able to take a player from Real after all. But it will not be one of the big names. Instead Rafael Benitez, who had wanted Fernando Morientes, will choose between the young midfielders Juanfran and Carlos Nunez - and is believed to have plumped for the latter. Neither are first-team players at Real. The fee for Owen may eventually rise depending on his success in Spain.

Bored in work so did a look up on both these players

Juanfran (Spain)
    A cool, confident and cultured midfield player who is never afraid to take on defenders and produce the unexpected. Plays in Luís Figo's position at Real Madrid CF, and has the skills and tricks to invoke comparisons with the Portuguese winger. Scored a great goal in the Group B match against Turkey after a superb one-two with Victor, another who impressed.

2003/04 Real Madrid P 5 G 0 (P = Played G = Goals)

Could not find a whole lot on Nunez but he did feature in 11 games last season for madrid , more than likely all in the last ten minutes but here is his stats for the last 3 seasons . He is a 25 year old right winger

2003/04 Real Madrid P11 G1
    2002/03 Real Madrid B P33 G9
    2001/02 Real Madrid B P24 G2

• Advertisement

Diouf up front, SW Phillips on the right, Kewell on the Left, the born again Biscan in the centre, wouldn't be too bad as it goes,

:eek:

I cant believe i have actually read this. I must go and lie down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

La Gazzetta dello Sport saying at 11am today that Owen will sign a 4 year contract with an option on a fifth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

benitez has just confirmed that Owen will sign for Real Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

• Advertisement
Advertisement