Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Owen to go???

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

according to the beeb.

best of luck michael, thanks for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Confirmed on the official site also:

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez has conceded defeat in his bid to keep Michael Owen at Anfield.
    Owen looks set to sign for Spanish giants Real Madrid after the Reds failed to persuade him to sign a new contract.

Liverpool expect to receive a cash sum plus Madrid's right sided midfielder Antonio Nunez as part of the deal.

"Michael will have a medical with Madrid before the deal is completed," said Benitez.

"I was very happy with Michael and I wanted him to stay. The problem was he only had a year left on his contract. Real Madrid started talking with his agent and in the end it was an impossible situation to control.

"The money from his sale will be used to balance the team. We still have good forwards here and a good team. We did our best to keep him but, as I say, in the end it was a difficult situation for us."

25 year old midfielder Antonio Nunez is expected to arrive at Anfield as part of the deal after he completes a medical.

His agent, Martin Perton, said: "Yes, it's true, we are talking to Liverpool. It's going really well and we hope to have the deal closed in a few hours.

"Even if Owen hadn't happened we were pushing for a move. We have been talking with Benitez for quite a long time, for around a month.

"The inclusion in the deal for Michael Owen has only just come in now."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

From Liverpoolfc.tv

"Michael will have a medical with Madrid before the deal is completed," said Benitez.

"I was very happy with Michael and I wanted him to stay. The problem was he only had a year left on his contract. Real Madrid started talking with his agent and in the end it was an impossible situation to control.

Looks like madrid were up to their old tactics of unsettling players again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

"When GH came in, he sold off all the liverpool players that 'lived' for Liverpool (Fowler etc) and he sold a few donkeys aswell.. then started to bring in a load of French players..

Rafa - is doing the same, but bringing in Spanish Players..

'Le Liverpool' is now coming become 'La Liverpool'.. hopefully it wouldnt be deja.."

Me thinks that is what he is at, he must think that because Whinger based his team around a backbone of French lads that he can do the same with pool and the spaniards. It is lunacy that he let 2 100% scouse born players whose hearts are Liverpool. End of contract or not Owen must have convinced himself that little will change at anfield and that the trophies he wants are not going to come.
    A steal for real and a serious loss for pool and a major step backwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Shred wrote:

25 year old midfielder Antonio Nunez is expected to arrive at Anfield as part of the deal after he completes a medical.

now he is in Championship manager . A defensive(centrel) midfielder , it has him in the game , I suppose he is the same player as Carlos Nunez , and his full name could be Carlos Antonio Nunez(or longer) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Given Owens injury problems passing a medical is by no means a formality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

yom 1 wrote:
    From Liverpoolfc.tv

Looks like madrid were up to their old tactics of unsettling players again
    Owen and his agent initiated the deal. During Euro 2004 Owen's agent contacted Madrid about a move - they weren't interested at the time.

In subsequent meetings regarding the contract on offer from Liverpool, Owen was making ridiculous demands regarding first team football and a say in players being brought to the club. The answer was always "No", and Owen's agent was saying well there's a better financial deal on the table from Madrid and Barcelona.

Last Friday, Benitez had enough and called their bluff by telling the clubs he was available. It turned out there had been no offer from either Madrid or Barcelona. Barcelona weren't even interested in making an offer for him. Perez scrambled to sign him immediately.

The best part is Camacho doesn't want Owen so he could be spending quite a bit of time on the bench as Morientes re-establishes his place in the Real line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Bannor wrote:
    Last Friday, Benitez had enough and called their bluff by telling the clubs he was available. It turned out there had been no offer from either Madrid or Barcelona. Barcelona weren't even interested in making an offer for him. Perez scrambled to sign him immediately.

so are you implying that it was a bit of a blunder from benitez
    cos if owen was demanding a say in transfers well then benitez was right IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

yom 1 wrote:
    so are you implying that it was a bit of a blunder from benitez
    cos if owen was demanding a say in transfers well then benitez was right IMO
    No such thing... Owen and his agent were trying to play the club for fools. Benitez knocked that on the head - he couldn't understand why the club had not set a date in stone for a deal to be signed or the player sold.

Last Friday was the first meeting Benitez attended regarding Owen's contract - Parry had previously been keeping him informed of the goings on. Within minutes Benitez had shot down the issues which had been holding up the contract.

Synopsis:
    "Image Rights - You're not going to get them at any club.
    Guaranteed first team football - No.
    A say in transfer dealings - No.

What's left to discuss? Nothing.

Right, sign the contract or take your offer from Madrid/Barcelona."

Owen was not a happy bunny and the fact that he didn't get offered a Galaticos contract from Madrid must have been upsetting for him.

Benitez will take no sh!t from the players and the club can only benefit from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Cheers for the info Bannor. I see Owen as a great loss of potential - potentially with an injury free season he could have come close to the scoring of RVN and Henry. We'll never know now - as it is he never scored 20 goals in the league for us and statisticly (a great source of lies) we won more matches with him off the pitch then on it.

Good riddance....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Not sorry to see him go, but I am a bit disapointed at the transfer fee. I know hes's in his last year of his contract and all but £8-10m is a shockingly low figure for one of the teams "key" players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Can someone change the title here too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

[note: Gandalf, good decision to close that parallel thread]

So, the saga has now ended. 8m plus a player, lets say who is worth 3-5m, a value of about 11-13m is a pittance for Owen really given his high standing and value at one stage of his career - he is still only 24.

I think that you are right Bannor. I just saw the interview of Benitez on TV and it is clear that he is now playing up to the press by giving the impression that he wanted to keep Michael. If he did, he would have played him in the CL match. If Liverpool wanted Michael so badly, they would not have sold him for just 13m in value.

The Owen "signing or not signing" saga has been running on literally for years, and whether Benitez or Benitez/Parry + others drove it through the way it has turned out, it is good that it has come to an end.

However, I feel that there are many losers. Michael for one is not going to have such an easy time at Madrid as he did at Liverpool. He has sought medals and tophies, but playing to win those medals is whats important to him, not just being part of a squad. Still, he will get run outs and who knows what will happen with injuries and other signings. Ronaldo for Chelsea anyone?

Liverpool got poor asset value return from Michael of about 13m max, if you clinically look at it in financial terms, but they have also saved 80k a week in wages. However, Owen was also a financial gain in the marketing dept, being popular with fans and across England.

I'm not sure if Stevie G feels ill today. He didnt seem to be as close to Michael, say as Carragher is, and tbh Owen is a bit of a loner.

Overall, its a pity the way its worked out.

By the way, Viera was also on TV and you could tell that he was dissapointed not to go to Real. The deal broke down in terms of value of money and Arsene was seemingly able to convince Patrick to stay and probably play out his career and keep the Gallic backbone of Arsenal intact.

Bye Michael, thanks for the goals, good luck in Spain, and maybe we will see you again in the CL against a resurgent Liverpool side .....

one thing we have to keep in mind is its a very deflated transfer market .(except Chelsea's overthetop spendings) .

Arsenal we're only slighly away from selling one of the best players in the world for £23 million .

So £8 million for Owen plus another player isnt that bad .(Owen hasnt exactly had the best last 18 months , and I dont think he pertularry happy at the club)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Big Ears wrote:
    now he is in Championship manager . A defensive(centrel) midfielder , it has him in the game , I suppose he is the same player as Carlos Nunez , and his full name could be Carlos Antonio Nunez(or longer) .

are we not getting the nineteen year old juanfran?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

glad its done at last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

The whole affair was carried out in a rather painful and public manner but hopefully at the end of the day it will be for the better of LFC.

Michael strung the club out for long enough with the protracted negotiations that went on for at least 12 - 15 months. Had he signed last week there would have been none of the debacle/farce which went on in the last couple of days.

LFC are also to blame for not tying him down to a new deal sooner or selling him off. The fee is laughable considering that they could have gotten three times that had they sold him at the first hint of reluctance on his part to sign. But hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Good on Beneitez for finally having the backbone to sort it out. Hopefully now we can all concetrate on the important thing, football.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

are we not getting the nineteen year old juanfran?

I do love when people link to news sites that require you to register. Its so useful..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Owen has passed his medical for Real and will be unveiled tomorrow as a Real Madrid player.

• Advertisement

cerbeus wrote:
    Owen has passed his medical for Real and will be unveiled tomorrow as a Real Madrid player.

how long before he's back in England ?

il give him 2 years .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

yop wrote:
    "When GH came in, he sold off all the liverpool players that 'lived' for Liverpool (Fowler etc) and he sold a few donkeys aswell.. then started to bring in a load of French players..

Rafa - is doing the same, but bringing in Spanish Players..

'Le Liverpool' is now coming become 'La Liverpool'.. hopefully it wouldnt be deja.."

Me thinks that is what he is at, he must think that because Whinger based his team around a backbone of French lads that he can do the same with pool and the spaniards. A steal for real and a serious loss for pool and a major step backwards

Um, hes buying spanish players as thats the league hes been managing in, thats where he knows the players and the ones hes taking in were probably already on his wanted list. As for it being bad business, no its not, best to keep Gerrard and get rid of Owen, hes been a liability the past 2 seasons and his value isn't going to increase. I think we're far better set for the new season without him. Its not all about the value of the transfer either, its his wages as well.

As for GH, fowler was past his 'use by date', he did a good deal in selling him.

and Houlier was getting the second rate French players as Wenger was taking all the quality players .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just from watching Liverpool the other night they reminded me of the pool of the eighties the way they were passing the ball around in an attacking manner. I thought they looked quite good (ok I realise that they weren't playing the best of teams). I think this guy looks like he will be quite good for Liverpool.

Owen has not been the player for Liverpool since Hollier took over and he seems to have had a major attitute and wanted to have more say in team affairs than a player should. Benitez called his bluff and now he will be a sub for Real Madrid.

I expect Liverpool to be an exciting team to watch this season. Whether they win anything thou we will have to see :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

As for it being bad business, no its not, best to keep Gerrard and get rid of Owen, hes been a liability the past 2 seasons and his value isn't going to increase. I think we're far better set for the new season without him. Its not all about the value of the transfer either, its his wages as well..

Liverpool have made a fool out of Gerrard by getting him to sign a contact and claiming the club will win trophies.. you dont win trophies by selling important players especially if they are players that WILL try their best for the club... instead we are getting unknown Spanish reserves.

Gerrard on Tuesday night when he scored.. he didnt look happy..

Deep down yes.. it was time for Owen to go.. but the squad looks pure shíte tbh... and its getting worst... over the last 3 years i have never in my life felt soo ashamed to be a Liverpool Supporter.
    As for GH, fowler was past his 'use by date', he did a good deal in selling him.

Fowler went to leeds and had a 1/2 ratio (goals per game) ... 'use by date' i dont think so.. GH made a fool of him aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

This might lighten the mood a bit if it happens.

Apparently Liverpool have re-opened talks with Valencia about a move for Aimar. Negotiations had taken place but the transfer fee was the sticking point, however with the 8 million from Owen plus champions league money we are in more of a position to do business

I think we'd be hard pressed to find a better player to fill the no. 10 shirt than Aimar

• Advertisement

This might lighten the mood a bit if it happens.

Apparently Liverpool have re-opened talks with Valencia about a move for Aimar. Negotiations had taken place but the transfer fee was the sticking point, however with the 8 million from Owen plus champions league money we are in more of a position to do business

I think we'd be hard pressed to find a better player to fill the no. 10 shirt than Aimar

What puzzles me is how would you fit Alonso , Aimar and Gerrard in the same midfield .(without putting Gerrard where he is less effective .

and then I came up with the idea that there will only be one striker up front and Aimar behind .

He loves his midfielders does Rafa .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Never liked the idea of foreign managers buying lots of players from their old clubs or from their own league.
    It shows a narrow minded outlook.
    It seems clubs are now realising that the most important and highly paid person at a club should be the manager.
    After all if you change manager you can expect a big clearout of players and many new ones being bought.
    In the vast majority of cases this leads to a huge imbalance in the finances.
    Houllier spent a fortune in amassing average players,most of whom are being sold off for nominal values.
    Benitez is buying players at over the odds .
    If Benitez is a failure who is to say all his buys will go the same way as Houlliers and LFC could go bust ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Who has he paid "over the odds" for?

To say that buying foreign players is a bad ploy is silly, just look at Arsenal. If the team was full of English players it wouldn't get very far at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Where the heck is Owen going to fit in at Real? They've got Raul who will always get his game, they've got the worlds most expensive striker who's been banging in goals all last season for them and a reborn Morientes, two goals already in the Champions League. Then there's the primadonna, Owen, dire for the previous two seasons with one fluke goal to his name during Euro 2004.

Owen's form is actually better tha Raul's (goalscoring wise) at the moment .

But I still would think he couldnt get ahead of any of those 3 strikers anyway .(even though Morientes isnt a galactico)

• Advertisement
Advertisement