Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus in Cork

• 10-08-2004 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Just heard that Chorus will "supposadly" be rolling out broadband in Cork City within 3/4 weeks.... I've heard it before... but some people are saying they may actually be serious this time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Smells like bull**** to me. It's not that great anyway, €35 per month excluding VAT.

http://www.chorus.ie/cablenet/index.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Akula

its not bad in our case since eircom are failing our line continually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

it would probably be wireless (did they get a license for Cork?), the cable network here is too decrepit, and I haven't heard anything of them upgrading it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

They only have a Dublin Wireless licence and have done nothing with it either, typical that :(

Twill have to be Cable

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

Yeah youre right - hopefully by mid-sept - it's going really well in Kilkenny/Thurles/Clonmel so Cork shouldn't be any different

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

There's been talk of this on the Cork Linux User Group mailing list, specifically about cable. I know they upgraded the cable in a few locations on the northside, but this is southside apparently. Very odd.

http://www.linux.ie/pipermail/cork/2004-August/004049.html

adam

i'm not holding my breath, been hearing this for over 5 years now :/
    maybe it's only for parts of the city with new estates and whatnot, it'd probably be too monumental to upgrade all the old cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Why not get IBB?

From what I've heard they are saying they have upgraded the cable lines in Bishopstown.

Where are the IBB sites? Though Halls was the only one so far and no signal out so far yet.

Halls?

The current sites are Churchfield (Chorus Mast) and a site near the Airport.
    R&H Hall (which may be the one you are referring to - is being built - eta around 2 months.)

Which area are you in?

• Advertisement

Bishopstown so possible los to airport. Any idea where it is?

You wont get to the airport site - and Bishopstown will be served by one of 2 sites - unfortunately non of which are active yet.

why not to the airport site? LOS?

Mainly LOS, yes.

when will IBB be rolling out residential packages in Cork ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Has anyone got official conformation from Chorus yet about this ? Is there an official "yay" or "nay" ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I think I have the number of their regulatory guys PA here, I'll see if I can find it.

adam

IBB in Cork has been up and running since March. Residential and Corp.

Chaz wrote:
    IBB in Cork has been up and running since March. Residential and Corp.

Chaz, do you have an association with IBB ? I'm not gunning for you, just want to know since you seem to know a lot about IBB and you may prove useful in the future.

Damien.

I love being useful ;)

Ye - I have 'association' with IBB.

• Advertisement

any chance of a coverage map ? no mention of cork anywhere on de website, like

There are some maps being made. If you have a specific area - ask - and ill give you a good idea.

douglas ?

Most of Douglas would be covered. Can you see the Eircom tower at Churchfield / Knocknaheeny?

You would need to take the E40 per month SOHO (1mbit up/down) to get onto the VL equipement - you are too far for the entry level pacakges.

PM your details. Name / address / contact number - I can check where u are - and get forms sent out to you.

Chaz, what about Bishopstown/Wilton area in Cork ?

(Also I'm almost feeling a bit warm that a thread about Chorus offering some kind of broadband is being pimped by IBB, if it was any other provider I'd object to it but it's Chorus so I don't feel like a hypocrite this time )

Well, its up to you. You can shoot the messenger - and ill go away like as in before when things got nasty on boards. Or I will stick around - give info as I can about roll out etc. Your choice really.

Wilton / Bishopstown in current a bit of a dead spot. Busy looking at 2 sites for later this year / early next to cover that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Chaz has Always avoided outright pimping so we really should forgive him if he is simply giving info that is not available on the IBB website......save maybe in a Press Release eh Chaz :D

Other IBB staff have not been as well behaved as Chaz .

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

How about Turners Cross Chaz? Need a change of provider myself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

is it IBBs plans to stay within the city alone Chaz, or is there anything in the pipes to come out along the city suburbs, such as little island and further (east cork)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Or in the Tower area? :>

Advertisement