Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more sections of music

Options
  • 10-08-2004 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

wheres the punk section.
    i know there is gonna be a couple of idiots saying oh man punk is stupid.
    but i dont really need to prove myself to them so im not gonna what kind of punk i like.
    but i really think there should be a punk section

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

There has been suggestions for a punk forum many many many times. Everytime it has been concluded by some that any punk discussions can take place in the Rock/Metal forum. Unfortunatly most people never post their, metal tends to dominate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

cruise wrote:
    wheres the punk section.
    i know there is gonna be a couple of idiots saying oh man punk is stupid.
    but i dont really need to prove myself to them so im not gonna what kind of punk i like.
    but i really think there should be a punk section

i couldnt agree more. JAH WAR!!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cruise

punk discussions can take place in the Rock/Metal forum???
    im sorry to be rude but thats a load of ****. punk and metal are not the same.

I agree. But the reasoning behind it is that there wouldn't be enough traffic to constitute a whole forum. Also if you made a punk forum, other genres would be looking for their own forum aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Its Rock/Metal, not just metal. That would cover punk too. Metal tends to dominate this forum, but if noones willing to post about punk whats the point in it having a seperate forum? If the board was packed with posts and threads on punk maybe then it might deserve its own forum? Until then its just added work for the admins/moderators. Imho.

• Advertisement

Its Rock/Metal, not just metal. That would cover punk too.

Would it?
    punk and metal are not the same.

Indeed.

It doesnt seem right to me. :confused: For example, Oasis would be considered rock, Manowar are definately metal and The Ruts are a punk band. They cant all be lumped into the same forum can they?

That said the Jazz/Blues forum isnt exactly splittin at the seams so maybe another forum wouldnt be feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I think the forum just needs to be split into 4 forums, Rock'n'roll (oasis, ocean colour scene, blur, hives, strokes, etc), Heavy metal (metallica, iron maiden, megadeth, manowar), Death metal (cannibal corpse, emporer, vader, behemoth, etc) and Punk rock (melvins, sex pistols, rancid, ramones, etc)

Ahh that would be an ideal world

Repli wrote:
    Ahh that would be an ideal world

do you have the power?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

I have the power!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

i dont see whats wrong with punk in the rock/metal section punk is a type of rock, if u seperate everyhting up ur just gonna confuse everyhting, what sections u put bands like rage and tool into

• Advertisement

iasc wrote:
    what sections u put bands like rage and tool into?

acid skiffle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I don't know where you all seem to get the idea that if you posted about punk here that the regulars would be rude, or insulting about it. This has come up a thousand times already, and the answer is always the same, POST ABOUT PUNK HERE!

first of all tool are basic rock.
    and second people always come on to forums and post things about punk.
    everyone hates it because its not in style

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Punk ROCK = ROCK/METAL

Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Repli wrote:
    Punk rock (melvins, sex pistols, rancid, ramones, etc)

The Melvins, punk? I would never have considered them punk, more metal than punk. And certainly more noise than anything else. I suppose speaking as if I'm a journalist for the NME they'd be Nu No Wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

It all goes back to blues......

If we split up the rock/metal forum into even just the 4 that was suggested, there would not be enough traffic in each one.

I think anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

No way should there be seperate froms for heavy and death Metal. What we need most most is a fusion forum to incorperate crossovers between Rock/Rap/Funk/Metal/Trad/Blues/Classical/Jazz

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

cruise wrote:

I agree

cruise wrote:
    Noone's saying they're the same. Punk is not metal, granted, but it is a form of Rock. This forum is meant to cover all aspects of Rock/Metal and any subgenres within those two. How difficult is that to comprehend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Repli wrote:
    I think the forum just needs to be split into 4 forums, Rock'n'roll (oasis, ocean colour scene, blur, hives, strokes, etc)...

Just as a heads up dude, that ain't Rock 'n' Roll, that's just plain Rock / Pop Rock
    iasc wrote:
    what sections u put bands like rage and tool into

They'd both belong here, Rage is what's now known as Rapcore, but 'd be more Metal HipHop Fusion...and Tool is Prog Rock / Metal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    This forum is meant to cover all aspects of Rock/Metal and any subgenres within those two. How difficult is that to comprehend?

Evidently it's extremely difficult

Personally I think it should be Rock/Metal/Punk.

There was a reason that it was decided to keep the name as it was, but I can't recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

Just as a heads up dude, that ain't Rock 'n' Roll, that's just plain Rock / Pop Rock

They'd both belong here, Rage is what's now known as Rapcore, but 'd be more Metal HipHop Fusion...and Tool is Prog Rock / Metal

i know they belong here, i was syaing if ya split everything up into, metal, death metal..etc, i was just pointing out for some bands ya cant really put labels on them, Rapcore...that sound krud, i wouldnt put a label on it, its just Rage

so rage invented a type of music.

wooowwww rap and metal.
    no one every tought of that before.

and i agree it should be rock/metal/punk
    even tough punk ethics are very very different.

so where does reggae go?

ok ok

i think every type of music should have its own forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

I think that all for one is good. Otherwise people wouldn't agree with me about how great the Stiff Little Fingers are, and disagree about ****e like AFI, who claim to be punk (which is a sad day for punk IMO)

Personally I think it should be Rock/Metal/Punk.

There was a reason that it was decided to keep the name as it was, but I can't recall.
    Then why not Rock/Metal/Punk/Industrial so I can get in a few posts about industrial bands if I so wish. It's pointless because the two words cover all genres that spawned from Rock/Metal INCLUDING punk.

Cruise, did you join boards just to ask this question? As it seems to be all you have done? Do a search for other threads on it, its been asked before, and deemed pointless. Punk is a subgenre of Rock, (thats not meant to sound condescending, almost everything is a subgenre of Rock), plain and simple. Therefore it doesn't need to be added into the title of anything, as it is covered and obvious to those with even the slightest intelligence.

u are so narrow minded.
    i dont know where to start.
    WITHOUT PUNK there would be no metal
    and if u dont know that ur an idiot
    second of all im leaving this forum because of people like u

• Advertisement

1) Not really tbh, read what I said clearly.
    2) I think you already started
    3) Correct me if I'm wrong, Black Sabbath started in 68, punk started around this time too, late 60s/early 70s.
    4) But but but...
    5) Buhbye now.

:mad:

Advertisement