Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Republicans funding Nader

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Look, it's easy for a foreigner to say that there's no difference to people's lives whether there's a Dem or a Republican in office. The truth is that politicians bills and votes do affect everyone from time to time. For instance, since Reagan completly ended the guaranteed student loan, many kids had to quit school and work full time and then go back to finish college while working full time - it also required a few personal friends to drop out for a while since their financial aid was cut, some of them never returned. Tell anyone at the financial aid office that who's in office doesn't affect everyday people.
    I know many school teachers who because of certain law makers cutting the education budget, they have to pay for making copies out of their own pockets!
    Talk to the people who are trying to keep after school programs alive for inner city kids with a budget that was split in half by the Bush Administration. It is these sort of groups who are most affected.

And yet you vilify Nader when one of the things he's working for is drastically reducing defense spending to make sure programs like that are funded instead. And you vilify people who want to vote for someone who ACTUALLY represents their goals.

I find it interesting that Nader fans are the ones who are mainly not part of those groups who gets affected the most severly when social programs are cut. I have YET to meet a poor, disaffeted, non-white non-middleto-upper-middle class college educated Nader fan.

You have now, except for the non-white part.

Whereas I have met many poor, ethnic, inner city folks who are Dems -

I've also met many who are also staunch Republicans and crazy religious zealots. What's your point.
    Do you think Kerry's corporate backers give a **** about these people?
    Kerry still says that he would have voted for the war which is garaunteeing more and more that these programs will go? And yet you say Nader is an egomaniac?
    Bush wants to do away with Overtime pay - you don't think that will affect people?

What's your point? And Kerry might put things back the way they were..which means that there might be more overtime pay...but still have some of the lowest real wages in the first world.
    Did you know that children born during this Bush administration are now born thousands of dollars in debt?!

And yet Kerry endorses keeping defense spending at it's current rate, while Nader is for greatly reducing the military and putting a stop to elective overseas military adventures. And yet you want everyone to vote for Kerry.
    That is a direct result of the monsterous tax cut that the Republican led executive and legislative branch passed. I can't imagine Al Gore ever doing that if Resident Bush was not in the White House.

While Kerry's spending proposals are more responsible than Bush's,. Nader proposes a truly progressive tax policy. Yet you call Nader an egomaniac.

And back to the Nader issue. I wouldn't vote for Nader regardless of his political affiliation, even if yes he were the Democratic candidate. I have serious reservations with his truthfullness, his apparent Narcissism disorder and the simple fact that he's never held an elected position - he's not a qualified candidate for "Leader of the Free World", period. And hey, if you think I think low of Nader, just ask the leaders of the environmental groups in this country.

And yet you give no evidence of Nader's deceptiveness nor do you explain your comment about Narcissism, which sounds alot like amatuer psychological evaluation.
    Nader has never held an elected position but he has vast experience with the US government and has spent his career lobbying for the American public. He's the reason you have seatbelts, shatterproof windshields, and collapsable steering columns. You think the automakers did it out of their own free will? What a Narcissist.
    I have yet to see Kerry make a truly courageous stand against Bush...no that was Nader. Kerry...what a leader. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ColoradoGal

Look, I wish Kerry would attack Bush more vigorously and show his true liberal colors. The fact of the matter is that he is indeed one of the most progressive/liberal senators in the US Senate. Maybe the electorate in Ireland is more liberal than that in the US and Nader could easily win. But the fact of the matter is that the American electorate has moved a bit to the right since 9/11. They are very pro-military. Poll after poll shows that gun control, the poor and the environment are nowhere near the most important things to people right now - not nearly as much as the environment & gun control was in the 2000 election. Kerry has a loooong history of voting to trim-down the military spending (just check out the RNC web site, they'd be happy to tell you all about that) he also has a 100% voter rating with lead enviro groups. He wanted to raise gas tax to curb oil/SUV consumption, he's also against the Death Penalty, an unpopular position in this country (sadly).

Look, those of us who are backing him UNDERSTAND that he can't talk about all the hot button issues that we mayh agree with, but also can be used to motivate the opponents base to vote! This is exactly what GW did in 2000. Did the NRA gun lobby or the anti-Abortion groups attack Bush for not speaking out for them enough? Or the Energy/Coal industry comnplain that he wasn't speaking enough to their needs? It was sort of a wink-wink we'll scratch your back once you get into office - and boy has he scratched their backs!! What if Ralph Reed of the Christian right did was Ralph Nader did and complain that Bush wasn't conservative enough for his groups and decided to enter the 2000 race? Answer: because Reed realized that he'll keep his mouth shut and patiently wait until Bush is first in the White House and then he'd force his agenda. Guess what, since that time Ralph Reed & Co. has totally infiltrated the Republican party and White House. A very clever move, something that Ralph Nader had a real chance in doing as well, especially since Kerry has been a big fan of Ralph's for decades - and vice versa. You do know that Kerry has been one of the few senators to never accept PAC money for his campaigns?

Back to the electorate, I know of a few Democrats who think that Kerry is TOO liberal for them. The fact is that it's rather hard to be both one of the most liberal senators and also not liberal enough. Look, I would love it if Kerry talked about all his liberal ideas, as I've followed his work, voting record and environmental positions since the late 1980's and for a loooong time, I'd hoped that he'd someday run for President. To really judge Kerry as a candidate, you need to do more than hear what he's saying in a few sound bites on the evening news. You need to go to his Web site in the issues pages, download his plan on PDF, check out his 20 years of voting and read why the most progressive organizations have decided to back Kerry - to know that this man really cares about. So it's not all about the lip service I want from Kerry - it what his priorities are for the country - and it's almost a perfect match for me.

I think that many people assume that we settled for Kerry - but speaking for myself, I did not settle - he's the guy I preferred from the very beginning. I worked on his primary campaign from the beginning. Is he the best politician? Of course not. But some of us try to look beyond the politics.

And no Sand, If I did not like the current Democrat at all, I still wouldn't vote for Nader. I have lost all respect for the man, as have lots of post-nader2000 voters. Go to repentantnadervoter.com. If say you want to put someone who was as far liberal as Nader on the ballot, but also had proven himself by holding an elected position with a voting record, say Dennis Kucinich - I would consider voting for him, because I respect the man.

Regarding Howard Dean, I've always respected him and his outspoken statements. But the reality is that his voting record is far more moderate and even conservative than John Kerry's. Dean campaigns a lot more as a liberal than he really is. Kerry's the opposite, and i'll take actions over lip service any day.

As ex-Naderite Arianna Huffington has said about first getting Bush out of office: Look when the house is burning down, now's not the time to redecorate!

Speaking of Lip Service, Ralph Nader really disappointed a lot of his voters after the 2000 election. During the whole 2000 recount mess in Florida, Where was Nader? Why wasn't he too down there fighting to keep the vote counting going? He was nowhere to be seen - and a lot of people noticed that. When Bush kept rolling back all the progressive and environmental initiatives with a vangence - where was Ralph?? We was over in Cali stumping for ATM Fee reduction! wow. Where was Ralph during the Iraq mess, when Bush abused his power and the authority the Senate gave him. I went to these war protests in the states, I watched them on TV - Ralph was nowhere to be found or heard! Yes, I wish the Kerry had not voted for the resolution, but once he realized how Bush was using that power in detrimental ways, he spoke out consistently! The fact of the matter is that Ralph was not around standing up for us Americans he supposedly cared so much about - not until he tried to sell his book (funded by Rupert Murdock), not until he started a campaign for himself again.

CG: Whereas I have met many poor, ethnic, inner city folks who are Dems -

Sovtek: I've also met many who are also staunch Republicans and crazy religious zealots. What's your point.

You've met many poor, ethic, inner city stanch Republican Americans in Dublin? hmmm. I haven't yet, they must have all moved to Dublin, that explains it. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You've met many poor, ethic, inner city stanch Republican Americans in Dublin? hmmm. I haven't yet, they must have all moved to Dublin, that explains it. ;-)
    sovtek's one of your lot:) We've imported him.

Well, that lucky bastad! :p

Do you mind the Yankees coming over to post on your site's boards? I'll try not to disrupt things, I'm just awfully curious! Except for my Irish temper flaring up when somebody mentions Nader or Bush, I'm really quite nice and polite :-) I came over from the Guardian site, because it has been hijacked by the Right Wing Americans. (I promise I won't blow your cover to them ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

No of course not the more the merrier, enjoying reading your posts and thoughts. Don't mind peoples politics or locations as long as they remember the golden rule here don't personalise the arguement.

BTW welcome ;)

Merci, mon ami!

Look, I wish Kerry would attack Bush more vigorously and show his true liberal colors. The fact of the matter is that he is indeed one of the most progressive/liberal senators in the US Senate. Maybe the electorate in Ireland is more liberal than that in the US and Nader could easily win. But the fact of the matter is that the American electorate has moved a bit to the right since 9/11.

Actually I've read polls (sorry I can't be as diligent with links as I'm paying for the internet now) where the majority of Americans think that Iraq was a mistake and want out of there.
    Kerry is a liberal senator, but not one of the most. That's sounds like RNC spin. Kucinich is far more so, even Dean.
    Kerry has a loooong history of voting to trim-down the military spending (just check out the RNC web site, they'd be happy to tell you all about that) he also has a 100% voter rating with lead enviro groups.

Kerry voted down defense spending that Cheney also voted down. That doesn't make him a reformer of the military industrial complex. You'd have to look to Kucinich or Nader for that.

He wanted to raise gas tax to curb oil/SUV consumption, he's also against the Death Penalty, an unpopular position in this country (sadly).

Yes it is an unpopular position to be against the death penalty, but Nader (IIRC) speaks out against it anyway. That's great that Kerry wants to raise gas tax. Is that going to stop America using the IMF, World Bank, dictators and its military to control world oil reserves?
    NO you have to look to Nader for that.

Look, those of us who are backing him UNDERSTAND that he can't talk about all the hot button issues that we mayh agree with, but also can be used to motivate the opponents base to vote!

So he's not being genuine and standing up for what he really believes in. What a world leader. On the other hand there's not much doubt about Nader's stance.
    You do know that Kerry has been one of the few senators to never accept PAC money for his campaigns?

So are you saying that Kerry isnt' going to be swayed by corporate contributions to the Democratic Party?
    Back to the electorate, I know of a few Democrats who think that Kerry is TOO liberal for them. The fact is that it's rather hard to be both one of the most liberal senators and also not liberal enough. Look, I would love it if Kerry talked about all his liberal ideas, as I've followed his work, voting record and environmental positions since the late 1980's and for a loooong time, I'd hoped that he'd someday run for President.

Great, then vote for him. But then don't come with accusations of Narcissism and lack of leadership against someone who actually has the balls to stand up and declare his intentions.

To really judge Kerry as a candidate, you need to do more than hear what he's saying in a few sound bites on the evening news. You need to go to his Web site in the issues pages, download his plan on PDF, check out his 20 years of voting and read why the most progressive organizations have decided to back Kerry

That goes without saying. I've done some of that and came to the decision that Nader more honestly represents his agenda, as well as mine. So I'm going to vote for him. Not someone who says that they would have invaded Iraq even though they knew they were being lied to and that Iraq wasnt a threat to the country.
    And I don't honestly care what some unnamed orgs vote for. I've seen some orgs that are going to vote demo no matter what. Thats just reality.
    But some of us try to look beyond the politics.

What does that mean exactly? Sorry I'm still going to vote for someone who has actually stated their intentions and have a whole lifes career to back it up. Am i going to support a party that has spent the last four years blasted Repubs for the sham 2000 election, yet still haven't proposed real ways of reforming it so it doens't happen again...and then go and try to keep another candidate off the ballot.
    Am I going to support a party that tries to malign some of it's own candidates during the run up to the primaries, because they are "too liberal"...such as Dean and Kucinich.

In my opinion Kerry isn't that guy, and I'm not going to be swayed by this illogical "electability" argument because it doesn't make sense.
    If say you want to put someone who was as far liberal as Nader on the ballot, but also had proven himself by holding an elected position with a voting record, say Dennis Kucinich - I would consider voting for him, because I respect the man.

And he might very well have been on the ballot under Democrat had the DNC not tried to malign him over the past year.

Regarding Howard Dean, I've always respected him and his outspoken statements. But the reality is that his voting record is far more moderate and even conservative than John Kerry's. Dean campaigns a lot more as a liberal than he really is. Kerry's the opposite, and i'll take actions over lip service any day.

But weren't you just saying that Kerry has to just pay lip service, but we can still count on him to really represent the progressives once he's elected?
    As ex-Naderite Arianna Huffington has said about first getting Bush out of office: Look when the house is burning down, now's not the time to redecorate!

Im sorry, but I'm surprised that Ari can string a sentence together, much less run for office.

Speaking of Lip Service, Ralph Nader really disappointed a lot of his voters after the 2000 election. During the whole 2000 recount mess in Florida, Where was Nader?

He was doing what he's been doing for years...pushing for real election reform.
    When Bush kept rolling back all the progressive and environmental initiatives with a vangence - where was Ralph?? We was over in Cali stumping for ATM Fee reduction! wow.

No he was also speaking out against those roll backs, far more so than any Democrat dreamed of.
    Where was Ralph during the Iraq mess, when Bush abused his power and the authority the Senate gave him.

Ummm unlike Kerry..who was actually voting FOR the war. And no I really know that you aren't that up on Nader because he was speaking out against invading Iraq for the past two years.
    I went to these war protests in the states, I watched them on TV - Ralph was nowhere to be found or heard!

You mean you didn't see Ralph on TV???? Really???? Go check on Ralph's proposals for media reform and you might answer your own question there.
    Yes, I wish the Kerry had not voted for the resolution, but once he realized how Bush was using that power in detrimental ways, he spoke out consistently!

And said that he would have done the same thing as Bush...no matter what.
    The fact of the matter is that Ralph was not around standing up for us Americans he supposedly cared so much about - not until he tried to sell his book (funded by Rupert Murdock), not until he started a campaign for himself again.

I guess you don't realize that Nader has been setting up grassroot orgs that lobby Congress to push for corporate reforms for decades.

Look Sovtek, I’ll answer to some of your claims and than let’s just disagree to disagree. You vote for Nader and i’ll Vote for Kerry and we’ll all be peachy-keen ‘kay?

“Kerry is a liberal senator, but not one of the most. That's sounds like RNC spin. Kucinich is far more so, even Dean.”

Actually he is and I think that’s a good thing! But hey, what do I know, I’m just a life-long liberal. Psst. Dean was never a senator, he was the governor of Vermont. Dean was endorsed by the NRA is one indication that he wasn't so Liberal. If you don't believe me, you might want to ask your bro Nader.

“Im (sic) sorry, but I'm surprised that Ari can string a sentence together, much less run for office.”

Her name is Arianna, “Ari” is a man’s name – you might be confusing her with Bush’s ex-Press Secretary? I find it rather odd that you support Nader, but not Arianna, who’s practically Nader’s feminine counterpart. I happen to be an avid reader of her columns. Based on your comments, you might like what she has to say.
    http://dir.salon.com/topics/arianna_huffington/index.html

“Ummm unlike Kerry..who was actually voting FOR the war.”

Now who’s using Republican spin? Kerry has plainly stated that he voted for the resolution to give authorization to Bush, when Bush said he’d use it to force comprehensive weapons inspections again and to go to war as a last resort. Bush lied, he mislead the people and the congress, period.

“guess you don't realize that Nader has been setting up grassroot orgs that lobby Congress to push for corporate reforms for decades.”

You guessed wrong. But as long-time Nader fans Bill Mahr and Micheal Moore have recently told Nader on HBO, Nader could undo all the good reputation he's accumulated with this Nader's Raiders by tipping another election to Bush again. Mahr even showed Nader a picture of O.J. Simpson who was another man who had a lifetime of acheivment only to ruin it all by making some big "mistakes" (he and Moore than proceeded by getting on their knees and pleading with Nader to quit the campaign and do something more constructive towards their shared priorities).

Anyway, it's nice to speak to other Americans on this board, but frankly that's not why I'm logged in here. You have the right to think that Nader’s the greatest thing since sliced bread, I have the right to say that he’s a phony and not worth the butter to spread on me toast! Get it? Got it? Good.

Peace, out.

Look Sovtek, I’ll answer to some of your claims and than let’s just disagree to disagree. You vote for Nader and i’ll Vote for Kerry and we’ll all be peachy-keen ‘kay?

I was just asking you to back up claims that Nader is a narcissist as well as not to be trusted. You haven't done that yet.

Actually he is and I think that’s a good thing! But hey, what do I know, I’m just a life-long liberal.

I don't have a problem with someone being liberal and you might have guessed I think its something to speak up proudly about. You were the one saying that Kerry can't say how liberal he is for fear of loosing the election.
    I did read (and this isn't a science I'll admit) that on liberal voting records he's about 24th .
    Psst. Dean was never a senator, he was the governor of Vermont. Dean was endorsed by the NRA is one indication that he wasn't so Liberal. If you don't believe me, you might want to ask your bro Nader.

Sorry but you know what I meant. And I'm not really concerned about the NRA endorsing him. The NRA also came out against Michael Powell's new FCC regulations last year. Does that mean other people who supported their same stance are also drunken redneck conservatives like you seem to suggest?
    Her name is Arianna, “Ari” is a man’s name – you might be confusing her with Bush’s ex-Press Secretary?

Ari=short for Arianna... I'm well aware of the difference between the two people. Now I may be confusing her with someone else who ran for governor of California with Arni and took part in the one debate. Where she looked like a complete air-head...but that might be someone else and it's also another thread.
    I find it rather odd that you support Nader, but not Arianna, who’s practically Nader’s feminine counterpart.

No I'm aware of her columns but when she says stuff like you quoted then she deserves my former comment.

Now who’s using Republican spin? Kerry has plainly stated that he voted for the resolution to give authorization to Bush, when Bush said he’d use it to force comprehensive weapons inspections again and to go to war as a last resort. Bush lied, he mislead the people and the congress, period.

And Kerry should have known that he was lying as well as he said last week he would have voted to go to war anyway.

http://www.commondreams.org/views04/0818-03.htm
    But as long-time Nader fans Bill Mahr and Micheal Moore have recently told Nader on HBO, Nader could undo all the good reputation he's accumulated with this Nader's Raiders by tipping another election to Bush again. Mahr even showed Nader a picture of O.J. Simpson who was another man who had a lifetime of acheivment only to ruin it all by making some big "mistakes" (he and Moore than proceeded by getting on their knees and pleading with Nader to quit the campaign and do something more constructive towards their shared priorities).

O.J Simpson? What? What's that got to do with Nader supposedly failing to fight for causes and for the public good? As well Moore's backing of Wesley Clark wasn't that a bright spark?
    That's forgetting the illogical belief that Nader will loose the election for Kerry. Here's a news flash...the only person that can loose the election for Kerry...IS John Kerry.

Anyway, it's nice to speak to other Americans on this board, but frankly that's not why I'm logged in here. You have the right to think that Nader’s the greatest thing since sliced toast, I have the right to say that he’s a phony and not worth the butter to spread on me bread! Get it? Got it? Good.

You've got the right to say anything within the forum rules...and backing up your argument is one of them.
    And yes it is nice to speak to you too.

Peace, out.

"That's a Vector Victor." :)

• Advertisement

I'm not exactly the first to suggest that Ralph Nader has been exhibiting signs of Narcissitic Personality Disorder. Google it and you'll see.

The fact that Votenader.com's front page is selling T-Shrits that say "Spoiler" says enough right there. They WANT to be the spoiler? Where's the public good in that endeavor? What sort of serious campaign actually admits spoiling the election as a major campaing platform? How self-absorbed and ego-centric (ie NPD) can one get.

Look, ironically I think that most Democrats and Nader voters mostly agree on the issues. The main difference IMHO is their chosen process, one towards pragmatic idealism/activism and the other of chasing windmills. :-)

Look, let's for a moment take Nader seriously as a serious Presidential Candidate. Therefore let's give him the scruntinization that other other two candidates have received.

The man in the glass house: it's time to open the curtains! You asked for backing up my claim. Well here are reports form people who were once very loyal to Ralph Nader and talk about their experiences describing his with traits that are CLASSIC NPD TRAITS:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/07/01/nader_jacobs/index.html

While Nader continues to campaign against corporate abuse, his own record, according to many of those who have worked closely with him, is characterized by arrogance, underhanded attacks on friends and associates, secrecy, paranoia and mean-spiritedness -- even at the expense of his own causes. If he were a corporate CEO, subject to the laws governing publicly held and federally regulated firms, there can be little doubt he would have been removed long ago by his company's board of directors.

Nick Jacobs' blood boils every time he sees another poll showing Nader within striking distance of costing John Kerry the election. For him, it isn't just that Nader was indispensable in President Bush's 2000 victory over Al Gore. Nader's latest run for president is infuriating for personal reasons as well.

"He puts himself out there as pure as the driven snow, and he's not," says Jacobs. "He's paranoid, secretive and manipulative, at best. It galls me that he talks about how corrupt the two-party system is when he trashed someone to the FBI who was his best friend."
    That someone was Jacobs' father, Theodore Jacobs. Ted Jacobs met Nader when they were both freshmen at Princeton and then attended Harvard Law School together. Later, as an attorney in private practice, Ted provided personal and professional legal assistance to his old college friend after he was catapulted to national prominence over the issue of automobile safety with the publication of "Unsafe at Any Speed." Ted became, in effect, Nader's chief of staff. And from 1970 to 1975, Ted was executive director of the Center for Study of Responsive Law, the first organization Nader founded.

The two men's ugly and painful falling out -- in which Nader trashed Jacobs to the FBI when Jacobs was up for a federal job and Jacobs retaliated with an explosive affidavit alleging financial and legal improprieties by Nader -- was the first of many destructive breaches between Nader and onetime allies. The story hasn't been told before, but the Jacobs family recently made private papers available to Salon that document the sad split.

"My dad kept everything," said Jacobs. "He had boxes of papers in our basement. They pretty much sat there until Nader announced that he was going to run again, and I decided to go through them." Nick was shocked by his discovery of this dark chapter in his father's otherwise enemy-free life.

In various articles from the early 1970s, Ted Jacobs was described as "Nader's closest friend and advisor" and the person who stood "between Nader and the world, absorbing the fury of the attacked, offering solace to the ignored, always speaking the absolute truth within the limits of what he believes Nader would wish him to reveal." But, according to the private papers shared with Salon, he informed Nader sometime in 1974 that he planned to leave the Center for the Study of Responsive Law but would first finish several projects.

On March 8, 1975, Jacobs arrived at the office to find the contents of two large file cabinets missing (including his personal diaries and documents relating to "financial matters") and his desk drawers ransacked. Nader arrived at the office a short while later to tell him he had ordered the files removed. In a state of near shock, Jacobs tendered his resignation and demanded to know what was going on. According to contemporaneous notes written by Jacobs, Nader said he had confiscated the files because a year earlier, Jacobs had signed checks for magazine subscriptions without Nader's permission. Nader also accused Jacobs of writing a check to himself for about $75 for expenses. Dismayed and shaken, Jacobs searched for a new job.

He was being seriously considered for a position as a staff member on the Senate Select Intelligence Committee, which required a routine background check conducted by the FBI (which collects raw data on individuals but does not seek to confirm it). While waiting to hear about the job, Jacobs was told that questions had been raised about his character, honesty and trustworthiness. He subsequently learned that the source of the innuendoes was Nader. According to Jacobs' son Nick, to find out why he was denied a security clearance, Jacobs asked for and received a list of the people the FBI had interviewed and what they had said. He told the agency the accusations were untrue.

Nick says he has repeatedly asked the FBI for access to his father's FBI file, but although the agency has said the file is OK to release, he has so far not received it.

On Aug. 7, 1975, Jacobs wrote his former friend a letter expressing his distress: "I thought that we had settled after our long talk in April ... If I misunderstood you that day, it was surely the most costly misunderstanding in the 24 years I've known you. I was prepared to let you go your way in the hope that you would let me go mine and I was feeling very kindly disposed to you. That was until I learned of your statement to the FBI. The impact of that statement was as if I had been kicked in the stomach ... We must have some sort of resolution to undo the damage done by your statements. As the record now stands, it will be an impediment for the rest of my life."

More people speaking out about Nader:
    ' Disillusioned by Nader's autocratic management style and with the paltry wages that the Congress Project was paying them -- the couple had three young children who attended a daycare center in Georgetown for the indigent while they worked -- they both decided to leave the project. After Anne left to begin a congressional fellowship, she began getting harassing phone calls from people working for Nader. "I would get phone calls late at night, demanding that I turn over these notes I had taken for this idea. They said I was breaking the law, that I wouldn't get away with this. They said my reputation would suffer." Anne refused to turn over her work, however, based on her belief that the project had been her idea and that she had done it on her own time.
    After her fellowship, Anne applied for a job with Stewart Mott, a public-spirited philanthropist who was on President Nixon's enemies list. According to both Anne and Nick Zill, Nader attempted to torpedo her hiring with accusations that she had stolen notes from the Congress Project. She was hired by Mott anyway, and he even threw a party for her at the Kennedy Center. When Nader showed up at the party, Nick was so incensed he threw a glass of water in Nader's face. Thirty-five years later, Anne still works for the Stewart Mott Charitable Trust.

Nader "dealt very hierarchically with people through his underlings," says Anne Zill. "At any point, if he had asked me about the notes rather than sending his underlings to come get them, I would have talked with him about it."

"He demanded a kind of loyalty that we found disturbing," says Nick Zill. "Anytime he was going to come into the office, it was like the prophet Mohammed was going to appear. There was this blind obedience that we found cultlike. I think the real reason [Nader told Mott not to hire Anne] was that Stewart was an important source of funds for Nader, and he wanted someone more loyal to him in this position. This nominal dispute over notes is very similar to the Ted Jacobs situation."

While Jacobs may have been damaged more than anyone else by Nader, he was by no means the last intimate associate to suffer Nader's wrath. "These weren't just marginal people who he disagreed with," says Toby Moffett, a former Democratic congressman and another early and close associate of Nader's. "These are people who would have fallen on a sword for him.""

... So what he did in 2000 was no shock to me. And what he's doing now is no shock. It's always been about him and his ego."
    "He has no interest in being a constructive part of anything," continues Moffett. "No one can name a coalition he has been in where he really rolled his sleeves up and tried to get [something] done. He's shown no interest in anything that could be construed as incremental change. [But] he has had success in empowering people, like Joan Claybrook and others. That's the legacy."

Bill Zimmerman, a political consultant, would probably disagree with the notion that Nader is the last honest man. As someone who has worked in progressive politics in California for the better part of 30 years, he has had numerous dealings with Nader. Indeed, one of Zimmerman's biggest victories came about because of Nader.

In 1988, Zimmerman was part of a coalition that got a pro-consumer initiative on the ballot promising to lower auto insurance rates as well as give California drivers a rebate. Not surprisingly, the insurance industry fought back hard.
    But after several years, it became clear to consumer advocates that the measure wasn't delivering on its promises. Zimmerman and the coalition he worked with believed that fees paid to trial attorneys in auto accident lawsuits were a problem. "So we developed a consumer-oriented, no-fault insurance plan and got it on the ballot in 1994. It would have taken the lawyers out of the equation."

"Not only did Nader oppose it," continues Zimmerman, "but he wrote an Op-Ed for the Los Angeles Times calling me and other people 'consumer traitors.' This is typical of how Nader operates. Rather than arguing the merits or revealing his own financial support from trial lawyers, he publicly demonized the people who were advocating for consumers as shills of the industry. We never took a nickel from insurance companies. There was no logical reason for him to oppose it other than to protect his own financial interest."

Zimmerman readily acknowledges Nader's many achievements. But like others who had bitter fallings-out with Nader, he searches for a psychological explanation for Nader's behavior. "In addition to living inside this bubble of fame, he leads a very monastic life. He has no intimate relationships; he lives without emotional ties to other people. As a result, he is isolated from the kinds of things that help people reach emotional maturity. He has childish and narcissistic reactions to things. If he led more of an ordinary life, some of these problems might be mitigated."

You asked for back up, there it is from ex-Nader's Raiders. A friend of mine who's a pyschotherapist said the other day that these statements and Nader's own statements and behavior on TV appears to to be exhibiting a classic case Paranoid Narcissism - although he'd have to give him a personal evaluation before absolute confirmation. I heard a expert on evaluating Facial Expressions in Humans interviewed on NPR recently. He discussed how all three of the presidential candidate's expressions were telling of their distinct personalities. When asked about Nader, he seemed very concerned that the two sides of his face had such strikingly different expressions, - and that usually indicates a person with significant mental problems and extreme inbalance between their left and right brain hemispheres. Unless he actually has facial nerve damage, that usually indicates a problem mentally.

I try to sometime offer up more instances but I've gotta go for now.

More people speaking out about Nader:
    ' Disillusioned by Nader's autocratic management style and with the paltry wages that the Congress Project was paying them -- the couple had three young children who attended a daycare center in Georgetown for the indigent while they worked -- they both decided to leave the project. After Anne left to begin a congressional fellowship, she began getting harassing phone calls from people working for Nader. "I would get phone calls late at night, demanding that I turn over these notes I had taken for this idea. They said I was breaking the law, that I wouldn't get away with this. They said my reputation would suffer." Anne refused to turn over her work, however, based on her belief that the project had been her idea and that she had done it on her own time.
    After her fellowship, Anne applied for a job with Stewart Mott, a public-spirited philanthropist who was on President Nixon's enemies list. According to both Anne and Nick Zill, Nader attempted to torpedo her hiring with accusations that she had stolen notes from the Congress Project. She was hired by Mott anyway, and he even threw a party for her at the Kennedy Center. When Nader showed up at the party, Nick was so incensed he threw a glass of water in Nader's face. Thirty-five years later, Anne still works for the Stewart Mott Charitable Trust.

Nader "dealt very hierarchically with people through his underlings," says Anne Zill. "At any point, if he had asked me about the notes rather than sending his underlings to come get them, I would have talked with him about it."

"He demanded a kind of loyalty that we found disturbing," says Nick Zill. "Anytime he was going to come into the office, it was like the prophet Mohammed was going to appear. There was this blind obedience that we found cultlike. I think the real reason [Nader told Mott not to hire Anne] was that Stewart was an important source of funds for Nader, and he wanted someone more loyal to him in this position. This nominal dispute over notes is very similar to the Ted Jacobs situation."

While Jacobs may have been damaged more than anyone else by Nader, he was by no means the last intimate associate to suffer Nader's wrath. "These weren't just marginal people who he disagreed with," says Toby Moffett, a former Democratic congressman and another early and close associate of Nader's. "These are people who would have fallen on a sword for him.""

... So what he did in 2000 was no shock to me. And what he's doing now is no shock. It's always been about him and his ego."
    "He has no interest in being a constructive part of anything," continues Moffett. "No one can name a coalition he has been in where he really rolled his sleeves up and tried to get [something] done. He's shown no interest in anything that could be construed as incremental change. [But] he has had success in empowering people, like Joan Claybrook and others. That's the legacy."

Bill Zimmerman, a political consultant, would probably disagree with the notion that Nader is the last honest man. As someone who has worked in progressive politics in California for the better part of 30 years, he has had numerous dealings with Nader. Indeed, one of Zimmerman's biggest victories came about because of Nader.

In 1988, Zimmerman was part of a coalition that got a pro-consumer initiative on the ballot promising to lower auto insurance rates as well as give California drivers a rebate. Not surprisingly, the insurance industry fought back hard.
    But after several years, it became clear to consumer advocates that the measure wasn't delivering on its promises. Zimmerman and the coalition he worked with believed that fees paid to trial attorneys in auto accident lawsuits were a problem. "So we developed a consumer-oriented, no-fault insurance plan and got it on the ballot in 1994. It would have taken the lawyers out of the equation."

"Not only did Nader oppose it," continues Zimmerman, "but he wrote an Op-Ed for the Los Angeles Times calling me and other people 'consumer traitors.' This is typical of how Nader operates. Rather than arguing the merits or revealing his own financial support from trial lawyers, he publicly demonized the people who were advocating for consumers as shills of the industry. We never took a nickel from insurance companies. There was no logical reason for him to oppose it other than to protect his own financial interest."

Zimmerman readily acknowledges Nader's many achievements. But like others who had bitter fallings-out with Nader, he searches for a psychological explanation for Nader's behavior. "In addition to living inside this bubble of fame, he leads a very monastic life. He has no intimate relationships; he lives without emotional ties to other people. As a result, he is isolated from the kinds of things that help people reach emotional maturity. He has childish and narcissistic reactions to things. If he led more of an ordinary life, some of these problems might be mitigated."

You asked for back up, there it is from ex-Nader's Raiders. A friend of mine who's a pyschotherapist said the other day that these statements and Nader's own statements and behavior on TV appears to to be exhibiting a classic case Paranoid Narcissism - although he'd have to give him a personal evaluation before absolute confirmation. I heard a expert on evaluating Facial Expressions in Humans interviewed on NPR recently. He discussed how all three of the presidential candidate's expressions were telling of their distinct personalities. When asked about Nader, he seemed very concerned that the two sides of his face had such strikingly different expressions, - and that usually indicates a person with significant mental problems and extreme inbalance between their left and right brain hemispheres. Unless he actually has facial nerve damage, that usually indicates a problem mentally.

I try to sometime offer up more instances but I've gotta go for now.

Ok...where to start....you are saying that because people have had disagreements with him means he isn't representing the people he purports to as well as your friend thinks he displays Paraniod Narcissism even though she's never met the man. Also you use as evidence of his narcissism aT-shirt they are selling to help raise campaign funds. It's called a joke...as in that's what all these people said about him after 2000 (even though we know that's based on flawed logic) election.
    I remember other such amateur psychological evalution made about someone around the year 2000. *Hint, he was a presidential candidate as well.* Do you maybe see a pattern here?
    That's forgetting that narcissism isn't really an issue anyway. If the guys got an inflated ego but does good things for the country (and he has)...then so what. I may be wrong..but didn't Kerry have some plastic surgery? Do I care.

Advertisement