Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anniversary presents

• 10-08-2004 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi everyone, i've only recently discovered the boards but am very impressed with the level of advice given to some problems. I'm a first time poster so go easy on me!!!

I'm basically looking for ideas for a one year anniversary gift for my girlfriend. We decided to spend equal amounts on each other and she's bought me a 70quid watch so thats my budget. She has a drawer full of jewellry so that easy option is out of the picture and my mind has gone more or less blank. She's a 20 year old girlie girl, not into sport or anything. Has a bit of fondness for singing.

Its a special occasion and i want to make the gift as romantic as possible. Any advice would be greatfully appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

If you are in anyway artistic you could try and make her something (not Snapper1 love tokens) - most girls love the personal touch. That is if she's not a material girl, if so buy her something you think she'd like - you should know what she's into at this stage.

Tell us what kind of girl she is and what she likes.

BM.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

this is not a personal issue as such
    so
    off to After Hours
    B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

welcome but this is not a personal issue...put it in After Hours you'll have better luck i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Two words: Agent Provocateur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

buy a nice box fairly biggish now and fill it with lots of different stuff like face masks perfumes and cute girly stuff they dont have to be all expensive things just little things for a couple of euro ur gf will be dead impressed that you took the time to buy so many little things. gift shops can be nice as well as chemists or even the euro shops.im not saying be cheap so dont get me wrong i just thinkl a box with lots and lots of little things would be lovely and thoughtful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

bring her out somewhere to hear some singing ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Try not to buy anything functional. Women don't really like functional presents, unless they're monstrous like a car or a house.

She might have a box full of jewellery, but that doesn't mean she doesn't want more. There are three things that women will never have enough of:
    1) Jewellery
    2) Shoes
    3) Clothes

The last two are a minefield. If you manage to buy her shoes or clothes that she likes, you're treading the fine line of her wondering if you're secretly gay.

You're lucky in that you've been going out only a year. You can play all the trump cards. As it gets longer, it gets harder and harder to become original. :)

As a man, you don't respond to hints. You don't respond to big flashing neon signs either. Since the subject of presents has come up, be on the lookout for these hints. Since she's a woman, she'll think you get hints, when you know you don't. They're subtle, not expected, but easy to spot if you know how. She could be telling you about her shopping trip, you're bored to tears, and she says "Ooh, I saw this gorgeous pink dress in A-wear, I might get it". *whooosh* Both the point of her telling you, and the subtle hint are missed by you, because you're yawning and nodding while irritated that you can't hear the TV. Make a note of it - "Pink dress, A-Wear" - don't try and remember any other details, you'll forget.

Then contact one of her mates, ask her to either get it for you, or accompany you on a trip to go get it. Her mate will remember. All you have to say is "Pink dress, A-Wear", and her mate will know exactly what one you're on about. It's staggering.

Substitute "pink dress" for anything, perfume, shoes, jewellery, etc.

Take her out for dinner on your anniversary. It doesn't count towards your present so don't cheapskate the €70. Give her the present *before* you go out. Present her with a ring at dinner, and you'll watch her run away. Present her with a piece of clothing at dinner, and she'll worry about carrying it around. Be sure to tell her that you went to the trouble of asking her mates. Most guys underestimate the importance of this. She'll be flattered that you went to the trouble, and she'll know that you're crap at choosing presents on your own, but eager to please her. If you let her believe that you chose it yourself, then you'll be expected to outperform yourself next time, which you don't want. If you bought her clothing, it also prevents the "OMG he's gay" reaction I mentioned above.

Now, if only I could follow my own advice.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I know what you're thinking ladies, he's either really perceptive, or really devious. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A little from column A.....A little from column B :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

buy her a mp3 player.....

i'd know i'd like one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Seeing as you know already what she got you - now this might be a bit of a radical idea - why not ask her what she wants, instead of us, or maybe using these suggestions as ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

My boyfriend once got me a special edition of the Lord of The rings, it was long before it became popular and I know he put a lot of effort into finding it for me and it was one of the nicest presents I ever got, purely because i only mentioned in passing that I'd like it, and he remembered.
    Personally I like getting books (first editions are always good, but you are on a budget), and she might not like to read.
    Put a bit of thought in and you might be surprised what you'll come up with.
    Also I hate getting perfume and jewellery-they don't show much imagination and there's only so much perfume you can wear, and you can get jewellery so wrong.

I'm a little surprised your celebrating an anniversary, what anniversary is it, when you met, when you first kissed, when you start going out? Aside from my parents I don't know anyone who celebrates anniversarys anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

€70 call credit, so you can hear her voice more often

/me goes off to vomit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

lol, give it to her in installments of 10 euro a month, it will the present that just keeps giving (for seven months at least)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

welcome to boards..

anniversary presents when your not married.. ???? jeez, i must be only person who doesn't do this sort of thing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Antique Jewelry. You can get some really beautiful stuff in antique shops, some of the 20's / 30's costume stuff is really fantastic and not outrageously expensive. She'll love it because there's feck all chance of anyone she knows having the same piece.

One final hint, if you're girlfriend's a brunette: garnets. They're a semi-precious stone that were used a lot in jewelry in the past. They've also a romantic conotation because they were used in the West of Ireland during poverty stricken times in place of diamonds on engagement rings. Why if she's a brunette? Because they're a dark amber colour that perfectly sets off brown hair.

[and for the record, I'm straight, you don't need to be gay to be cultured but in this country it would certainly seem to help.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

Get two tickets for a trip to the zoo and pack a picnic, then set it up in front of the elephants!

Coz elephants will rule the world!!

My god Im a genius!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Speaking personally - I don't think its the amount you spend on the present, but rather the thought you've put into it.

How about : A photo of the two of you in a nice frame.

A still/poster from the first film you saw together

Dwnloading her favourite songs for her

Just some thought - I tend to be very soppy about these sort of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

anything with Gucci on it will guarantee you some action of the naked variety

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Try be original and new then the price dont matter.

Hum got my GF: Concert tickets (3 in total for different occassions , For metallica got EVERYONE she knew not to tell her they were playing, actually worked and she was SO shocked! also brought her to madama butterfly (now THATS original, and she loved it)
    Perfume x2 (once after someone was wearing it at a wedding party and she asked about it I remember the name of that god damb perfume for 5 months!!)
    DVDs (scarface, Family guy (all in one season 1-3), donnie darko ...)

Thats in 2 years,
    After a year you should know what she likes and if you think about it for a while you wouldnt need the usual jewlerry/clothing things.

Wow, Rambling

• Advertisement
Advertisement