Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Alonso bid

• 10-08-2004 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Real Sociedad have confirmed they have received a formal approach from Liverpool for Xabi Alonso and that they are prepared to sell the player.

The Basque club announced they had received a bid - thought to be worth £10.7m - in a statement issued after training on Tuesday

More from Teamtalk

[Mr Burns]Excellent[/Mr Burns]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Isn't Xabi a defensive central-midfielder? Not what Liverpool are most in need of I'd have thought. Still... would be a good signing I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PiE wrote:
    Isn't Xabi a defensive central-midfielder? Not what Liverpool are most in need of I'd have thought. Still... would be a good signing I guess.

I imagine they do need it.. They have Hamann, Gerard, Diao and Biscan at the momemnt. Hamann has 1 or 2 years left at the club and Diao is going to be farmed out.. He seems to like Biscan though.. So Gerard, Alonso and Biscan in the centre aint bad. Gerard will be used less in defensive duties and encouraged to belt it forward more and more I thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Alonso also scores goals, a quality Didi lacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Gerard will be used less in defensive duties and encouraged to belt it forward more and more I thinks.

I think Rafa has hinted that he wants Stevie in a more attacking role alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Gerrard does seem a lot better when he has full freedom to run from box to box. It will also cut out his biggest weakness - trying to play overly ambitious 50 yard passes all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

A strong central midfielder who scores his goals from long range, excellent passer. Can be compared with Stevie G I think if Xabi signs Gerrard will be the right winger with Alonso and Hamman in the centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

There have been two bids - the first was €12M which was immediately rejected, the second is €15M and is likely to be accepted. Sociedad are looking for €18M but don't want to push their luck - they were contemplating a €12M sale to Barcelona last week and Arsenal aren't biting so it's not likely that there'll be a bidding war.

Benitez is shrewd... wait for Real to have virtually secured Vieira and then steal the player they originally wanted. All we need then is for Arsenal to tell them to feck off! :)

Dont even whisper that bannor!

Keggy has now said that SWP is not going anywhere, but i want him, and thats all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

HHhhmmm .
    ..........................................................Alonso.........................................

Shaun-Wright-Philips.......................Gerrard.................................Kewell......

that aint a bad midfield .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I guess Spurs will be chasing SWP also after pulling out of the Murphy bid???

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote:
    I think if Xabi signs Gerrard will be the right winger with Alonso and Hamman in the centre.

There is absolutely no way Rafa will play Alonso and Hamann in the same team if the has a choice on the matter. Where we saw SG play last night is where we will see him play for the rest of the season.

There is absolutely no way Rafa will play Alonso and Hamann in the same team if the has a choice on the matter.
    It's always going to be his choice while manager isn't it??? Bet you a fiver you're wrong :D

will he have a choice if the rest of the midfielders are injured?

here's my fiver

rahat_setelit_5_euro_etu.jpg

will he have a choice if the rest of the midfielders are injured?
    I believe there still would be a choice - all it would take would be for SG to be injured and he'd be tempted to play the pair despite have Diao, Biscan and Warnock as alternatives.

I believe this situation will arise and I'll take your fiver. Naturally if we don't get Alonso then I've lost...

Here is a little something on Alonso

Xabi has been left of the upcoming sociedad game against osasuna.

[mr burns] excellent [/mr burns]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

From Skysports:

Alonso on way to Anfield

Liverpool are understood to have agreed a deal in principle with Real Sociedad for the transfer of highly-rated Xabi Alonso.

The classy playmaker has been one of Rafa Benitez's chief targets since taking charge at Anfield and the possible exit of Michael Owen for a sizeable fee, plus the sale of Danny Murphy to Charlton Athletic, has facilitated a move for the Spain international.

Although Real Madrid are long-term admirers of the midfielder, who has been included in Spain's squad for their friendly with Venezuela, Sociedad were reluctant to do business with another club from La Liga.

It is believed that the Basque outfit have accepted a bid of €16 million from Liverpool, with a further €2 million to follow depending upon the success of the Merseysiders over the length of his contract.

Benitez watched Alonso in action during a friendly against Everton recently but the player was left out of his side's latest warm-up game against Osasuna.

Spanish reports claim part of the fee will be used from money still owed by Sociedad for keeper Sander Westerveld, who moved to Spain some time ago.

Benitez is understandably keen to wrap up a deal swiftly in order to field his new boy against Tottenham in The Premiership's opening game on Saturday and also avoid any late complications in terms of rival bids emerging, particularly from Madrid.

Spanish reports claim part of the fee will be used from money still owed by Sociedad for keeper Sander Westerveld, who moved to Spain some time ago.

i like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I fear that if the Vieira move to Real is off that Real will reignite their interest in Alonso. In the process scuppering our chance of getting him :(

Yeah, i read this morning that sociedad are reluctant to sell to la liga opposition, but if they stick another 10m on top of what we are offering it may be hard to turn down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Shamrok wrote:
    I fear that if the Vieira move to Real is off that Real will reignite their interest in Alonso. In the process scuppering our chance of getting him :(
    Perez is now looking at Maniche.

AS in spain and Spanish Radio are saying Alonso has signed for the pool for a total layout with add-ons of 16m euros on a five year contract. They are apparently now rushing through his clearance before 5pm BST.

Reports indicate that Alonso should be in anfield today for a medical.

In other news Joey Barton, combative central medfielder and steven gerrards mate will also sign for liverpool this week.

And finally, we might also have a look at Mista. A free agent from January, has the same agent as Rafa, a good option to have. Id prefer get him now though.

Exciting.

Real
    Xabi, deluded with the Liverpool
    It has welcomed with joy the great advances in the negotiation and could be new ' red' Thursday, after the party of the selection of Wednesday. The interest of Benítez was key and both will be five years in Anfield.
    MIGUEL VILLAMERIEL. DV. SAN SEBASTIÁN

Xabi Alonso has begun to think about red, already dreams about prevailing in Anfield. Although its crossing to the Liverpool not yet is a fact, the negotiations between the English, Real and the player is on the verge of culminating in the march of tolosarra to reds for next the four or five years. His representative, Iñaki Ibáñez, met in afternoon of Saturday with the chief of a main directorate of the Liverpool, Rick Perry, and returned from London with the impression that the future of Xabi he is bound to Anfield Road. In hardly one week the English club has demonstrated an authentic interest by the player who has convinced to the still realistic one of which the project of Benítez in the Liverpool is most promising of the futures.

Xabi was gotten up yesterday to the concentration of the Spanish selection after knowing the progress the negotiations. The midfield player very is deluded with the new stage that is opened in its race and trusts that problems of last hour do not appear. The Spain-Venezuela of Wednesday will delay at least until Thursday its draftee by the Liverpool, but this time will also serve so that as much the English equipment as the Real one finishes completing the conditions of the crossing. The agreement in the main lines of the contract is assured because to Real him they have satisfied the economic proposal and seriousness with the Liverpool, although now lack to clarify some of the variables that the complex crossing includes. The final post of the operation will be near the 16 million euros, as long as the yield of Xabi in England between within forecasts logics in which to yield and number of disputed parties it talks about.

Bet of Benítez

This section does not worry too much to any about the implied parts because Xabi Alonso is an express request of the new trainer of the Liverpool, Rafa Benítez, reason why its importance in the equipment is beyond all doubt. The Madrilenian technician has chosen to Alonso as organizing axis of his project in Anfield - Benítez signed by five years and that manifest interest has been fundamental in the decision of Xabi to play with reds. For the player and his representatives the seriousness demonstrated by those of Liverpool is no unnoticed past, that contrasts with the indecision of a Real Madrid that did not bet with force by Alonso in two months of negotiations. The Liverpool has practically closed the crossing in hardly one week.

Because the trip to Madrid de Alonso to be united to the selection will delay to days a crossing to which only it needs the company/signature. The shades of the contract that is studying the Real one are minimum and they do not put in danger the agreement, whereas the conditions that the Liverpool has offered to the player also are satisfactory. They only lack to define the terms of the divided payment, some of the sport variables - that will extend throughout all the contract of Xabi with the Liverpool- and a right of rough estimate that the Real one wants to make sure in case the player wanted to leave

Translated from here

similar story to above with marginally better English - http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1147759,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

negotiations have been going on for two months??

glad hes joining, dont think too much of mista though, i know he was banging in the goals for valencia but every game i saw him play i didnt think too much of him! a striker and i'd be happy now!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

VinnyL wrote:
    A striker and i'd be happy now!!!!

you know Mista is available ;) .

Vinny he scored 19 in la liga last season and offers something different to the strikers we have at the moment. If we got him at a reduced fee because of the time left on his valencia contract (i.e ala MO) he would be an excellent addition to our squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

thats the thing midget lord, we'd be getting another "might do well, might not" kinda buy. we need a proven player to replace owen, well i think so anyway!

baros did well in euro 2004, hope that translates well this season.
    cisse did well in the french league, and has already scores, should be second name on the team sheet after stevie
    FSP has a long, long way to go! i dont think he's a reliable 3rd choice striker yet!

we cant rely on stevie to get us goals all year, and i can see that happening!

• Advertisement

I have no doubt Mista would be a success at anfield, he certainly would not be a "might do well, might not do well". IMO he would hit 15+ a season and we could certainly do with that.

Here is a downloadable Xabi goal. A little of what we have to look forward too!!!!

Click on the green arrow on the section "4-1 al Madrid en Anoeta".

Alonso excited by Reds switch
    by Peter ORourke - Last Updated 18 Aug 2004

Liverpool target Xabi Alonso has revealed that Rafa Benitez has played a big part in persuading him to move to England.

Alonso is set to seal a move to Anfield later this week after his club Real Sociedad agreed a deal with Liverpool.

The Spanish international is excited at the prospect of working alongside Benitez and believes he can help Liverpool become serious challengers for the title this season.

"Not only is Benitez a great coach, he is a master of psychology. He can make the players become friends and he can help them perform to a higher level," said Alonso.

"This is how he enabled Valencia to triumph in La Liga.

"I believe under Benitez our work will be excellent. I am convinced that this season The Reds can be considered to win the championship."

The 22-year-old admitted he snubbed Real Madrid to move to Liverpool and that it is a dream come true for him to play for The Reds.

"Liverpool are one of those clubs that any player always dreams about playing for.

"It is sad that I will not be in the same team as Michael Owen but sometimes things change in life and the future is still positive.

"When it came down to a choice between Madrid and Liverpool I chose Liverpool.

"They are the club that showed the biggest interest in me."

Meanwhile, Argentine defender Fabricio Coloccini claims Liverpool are still keen on luring him to England.

The Milan defender claimed his agent had held talks with Liverpool officials last month while he was playing in the Copa America and he suggests they are still interested in him.

"I have heard that Liverpool still want to sign me. I hope this can happen as Liverpool are a very big club," said Coloccini.

Hmmmm, very, very interesting. If we bring in Coloccini, another RM and say a loan striker i will be quietly confident.

Right have you all seen the interviews lately with our new manager Rafa Benitez.
    Has been asked recently if he was going to buy in which he said yes.

Then was asked will he buy English players

In which the reply was I will buy good players.

To me this was a perfect reply and Benitez is buying Spanish players because he knows the spanish market better than any other manager in the Prem.

Benitez has also been quoted as saying if he finds another player on the contienent or English who will be a success for LFC then they too will be signed.

So next season expect more signings from Benitez who are English, but this season expect more.

When Rafa came the only player you wanted Rafa to come that was not from Valencia was Xabi Alonso and it looks pretty likely this will go ahead this Thursady. So we are getting a player who is a super player who Real were wanting and had a bid of £8.5 million turned down.

Also Barca are fighting to keep Garcia with Rijkaard saying he will try and keep Garcia at any cost but yet Garcia has spoken about his admiration for our man Rafa.

In Spain Rafa Benitez is a name that top spanish players would love to work for becuase he is a man driven by success and a man who often gets his success.

From an interview about 15min ago.

How close are you to signing Xabi Alonso?

BENITEZ
    I'm not sure, but I think we're very near. He is a good midfielder and a good professional. Both Alonso and Nunez are good professionals. I don't talk about players being Spanish, I talk about them being good professionals.
    Xabi is a very clever player. His biggest strength is his intelligence. He has more skill than physical strength. He's a great long and short passer of the ball and bringing him here will give us more possibilities in the midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Alonso deal done so he should make the Saturday game if he's fit for it.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0819/alonsox.html

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Benitez has also brought 24-year-old Spanish defender Josemi to the club, while Michael Owen went the other way, signing for Real Madrid.

hmm slightly mixed up are we barry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

eyerer wrote:
    hmm slightly mixed up are we barry?

Course he is! There's so much happening at 'pool this weather! ;)

Mike

mike65 wrote:
    Course he is! There's so much happening at 'pool this weather! ;)

Mike

and its all good! Im really excited about this season.

Advertisement