Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hard Boiled.

• 10-08-2004 3:29pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

The other night I took a look at the John Woo movie Hard Boiled. It was the dubbed english version so that did not help the plot out much (doubt there was much anyway). The english dialogue was desperate in places but the action sequences where very good. The end of the movie in the hospital is just insane. I mean there must of be nearly a 100 bodies in that shoot out at the end. Many of you guys scene this cult classic. If so what did you think of it?

Hell the trailer had a bigger kill count than 90% of most action movies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

It's my favorite John Woo film. I think it's nothing short of amazing, best action film ever made. Even better than Die Hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I rented it out , was really tired and fell asleep in the first 20 minutes !!! :( From what I could tell it was mostly *BANG BANG BANG* while done well i dont really like that kinda thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I loved. Fantastic in an old school cheesy way. Like commando etc. I love the bit where he's sliding down the stairs at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭iasc

it was brilliant, neverending bullets, i loved the way the bad guys just shot the people out of their way on the stairs, and the way all the patients were massavred at the hospital, dont really get that in hollywood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Hard Boiled is an old favourite of mine. It's really an all out action film, to such an extent that there are probably too many action scenes. If you like asian style action films with balletic stunt work you should definitely watch this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's great! Have it on DVD - subtitled version of course *spits on dubbing and then beats dubbing into a pulp*
    Should violence flow so beautifully across a screen, with such amazing choreography? Probably not. It's like a ballet at times. It's this movie that makes you see why John Woo was so acclaimed as an action director. I may personally prefer "Die Hard" as an action movie, but this is in my own personnal top three. Highly recommended.

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

If you don't learn to leap foward with too guns blazing in slow motion from this movie you never will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I loved this movie since it first came out. I think one of the best bits is where he is going through the hospital with the shotgun and fires one shot and two lads go flying back from it. an other great bit is the Wearhouse bit. A one man army :)

truely classic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,890 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought the action scenes were fantastic. I saw the subtitled version on channel 4 and the translation was so bad I couldn't make out what was going on i the story. Didn't matter with such a high body count.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

Amazing film.

Love every minute of it. The tea-house, the warehouse and the end bit with the 2 dudes taking on the gang.

Love the honourable bad guy with the eye patch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Bullet in the head is probably my favourite john woo film, and possibly my fav nam film, up there with platoon and the deer hunter.
    But yea Hard Boiled is a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Billy Kovachy

The doves, bikes, the bad guy with the single bullet loading gun all shown in slow motion.Does John Woo have any other trade marks ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭IDM

Definitely a classic. A close second to "The Killer" which is an all-round better film, I reckon. It practically had me in tears ! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Best John Woo film Iv seen to date. Great action sequences and a unique story compaired to the usual hollywood "you killed my family and now that Im out of a coma I will have my revenge" type films.

The dubbed version is pretty bad but it does add a surel aspect to the film with the insane onscreen action and totaly messed up dialogue :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

i had access to the dubbed version but i just couldn't watch it - the ****ty dubbing just put me off it altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Evil_Bilbo

WHAT?

Give me crazy dubbing any day of the week.

Number one - the subtitles usually dont make ANY sense on those hong kong movies.

Number two - reading subtitles detracts from the viewing pleasure and makes it harder to get really "sucked in" while watching a movie

Number three - its fcuking hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

Bit i liked most was at the very start,in the teahouse,he dives through the flour and puts the gun to the guys head,you see Chow Yun Fat's face white from flour,then instantly red from blood - genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 shirley

I love that movie. I love John woo's gun play and I love the hospital bit with the baby peeing on him ;-)

If you want to know another trade mark its the doves. As far as I know all of his movies have doves.

Hard boiled in the bird cafe place in the begining and there are doves in MI 2 as well

Shirls

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

shirley wrote:
    If you want to know another trade mark its the doves. As far as I know all of his movies have doves.
    And in "The Killer" there's doves in the church for the showdown.

Advertisement