Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOS calls only error message

• 10-08-2004 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I'm getting SOS calls only coming up on my phone more often than not. It's really p*ssing me off. I rarely get it in Dublin (I work in the city centre), but at home (in Drogheda) it happens several times a day, and doesn't go away until I restart my phone (SOny T610)

I'm not sure if this means it's the SIM or if the cells that cover Drogheda are really dodgy, it's been like this about 2 weeks now.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I get that in certain areas of my house outside kilkenny (crap reception all the time - O2). When i'm at work or college though i have 5 bars all the time :/

I don't have to restart the phone for it though, generally it comes back by itself, or you can force it to come back quicker by doing a network search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

I get that in work which is beside a dual carriage way. One of the guys here investigated it a few years ago and apparently what is happening is that as people driving along the motorway arrive into our cell they get put on top of the reception pile as newcomers to the cell have preference. Seeing as there are so many people joining and leaving the cell as the drive along the road all us who stay in the cell slowly get lower and lower priority from the cell as we were the first to join. Generally I have full reception when I arrive after a few hours it is down to "emergency only" and eventually its "no service". Its first come last served apparently.

By turning the phone off and on again you are in effect reintroducing yourself to the network so you are put at the top of the pile again.... for a while...

it is very very annoying and apparently there is nothing O2 can do about it (without upgrading the power of the cell obviously) :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Cheers Whizzbang, that makes sense actually :(
    There's a huge estate just been built up the road from us, i'm sure that has something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I dont know if thats the exact answer because I'm living pretty close to the city centre and on my t610 I noticed that recently if I put my phone in my pocket and took it back out a few minutes later my reception would be gone. It's a problem with the phone. I bought a t630 the other day and the reception is much better but I have still gotten this once or twice. Plus it is meteor

Advertisement