Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GalwayLAN XI Planning Phase

• 10-08-2004 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭

Right, this is kinda back to basics.

I want to change the venue, ~30 person lan, maybe 40 if there's demand.
    Need a place that's central enough to the city centre (ie not Oughterard).
    Is secure from roving gangs of knackers at night.
    Which we can stay in over night (48-hour lan - Friday evening to sunday afternoon).
    Enough power for all the kit.
    Preferably furniture provided on-site.
    Parking would be a plus.
    Doesn't have to be particularly clean, just warm enough so we don't freeze in the depths of october.
    Affordable. I'd like to be able to buy a GigE swithc for the backbone, plus various sundry extras no-one (including me) thinks off like cable, heads, labler, a dozen 4-gang surge protectors, cable-tester etc.

If anyone knows of a venue like this (Function room, school/community hall etc.), or has a friend of the family who owns/manages a place like this, give me a shout via pm, mobile (if you have it), or The_name_of_the_lan_we_run_@oceanfree.net // @gmail.com
    Alternatively, annoy someone on IRC until they acknowledge it.

I'd like a place where we can drink a few cans whilst gaming aswell, and preferably where people could bring sleeping bags and sleep at their machines/on the floor.

The ability to make noise would be nice too.

I'll be searching myself, but I thought it best to let ye know what I'm looking for on the off-chance someone has a half-uncle who sired a pig who is the pet of a venue manager.

Dates: October Friday 22nd - Sunday 24th or Friday 29th - Sunday 31st
    Be looking for ~7pm Friday -- 4pm Sunday.
    Entry fee depends on venue cost, but I'll strive to keep it at or below 35 euro.

GL XI Dates 16 votes

Friday 22nd - Sunday 24th October
    0% 0 votes
    Friday 29th - Sunday 31st October
    62% 10 votes
    Other (suggest below)
    37% 6 votes
    I'm undecided
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Undecided cause I don't know if I'll be in Galway then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

I'm not fussy in the slightest about the date , I'll be back In Galway from the start of college on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I'm not fussy in the slightest about the date , I'll be back In Galway from the start of college on
    ditto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

That's cool, but could ye dig out yer calenders within the week and see what your schedule is?
    I don't want to go booking a venue just to find that hardly anyone can come and had I booked it the week after/before, we'd have had alot more people.
    I honestly don't know how much space we'll have, and the capacity depends very much on the venue (power especially ;))
    I hope to have 30+ people at this, pure-bred gaming and craic, 48-hours straight (or close to) of multiplayer massacres.

Just a side-note to GLers in general:
    Could ye please check your emails and actually read anything I send ye?
    I'll be sending out a set of instructions and tips on how to set yourself up at a lan, plese follow them.

If anyone knows where I can get a decent 12-16port GigE switch with a 1000BaseSX port//GBIC port with *some* management features (snmp, maybe trunking) I'd be most appreciative.
    I'm not looking for Cisco kit (simply can't afford it, nice and all as the Cats are), and have a budget of about 500euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I wouldnt mind actually going on the tear this halloween and not have to do the lan but then again i can do both at once
    This years costume shall be an elaboration on the military garb of last year.

• Advertisement

Well, I'm not sure what my schedule is yet, but its safe to say i'll have a saturday and sunday off :)

I'm looking into venues (ontop of about 100 other things going on at the moment), and Sniipe's place mightn'y be too bad at all - so long as ye remember to bring enough provisions.
    Even so, there should be enough people with cars to do shop-runs.

ALl that remains is checking it out re: booking dates, power, furniture, drinking on the premises and running 48hours straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

48hours straight eh??

/me gets his caffeine pills ready

Where exactly is Sniipes place?

You'll need someone to drop you out to the venue.
    Sniipe is out Menlo side afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Count me in, whenever and wherever, as long as i get a definitie date in enough time before the lan. Will be strange being in a different venue to UCG, but just as fun, its all baout the games :)

Timeout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

cool cool, the wan will fulfil my needs until the next lan anyways.

maybe you'll get connected in the end Syx (third time lucky :D).

whehehe, for those living near me, I'm only connecting as a client (gear is all delivered to Limerick, should be here by Friday), but will be upgrading to a full node next time I get money (or if ye want to donate some :D)

que

Dave, I'm going posting a GalwayWAN thread on the board as a stop-gap measure while irishwan is down.
    Make use of it for general chit-chat.

Anyone who's interested, post your location, and if you a) are interested: budget, current setup or b) have kit: what you have, connection etc.

Keep it clean and tidy if possible please :)

I'll post a sticky later where you can list your details. That thread will not be for general discussion. Any off-topic posts will be deleted with prejudice.

Sleep tight.

Dude, the sites down, the boards arent.

http://www.irishwan.org/board/forumdisplay.php?f=18

Thanks, but no thanks :)

que

aww ul que with the wireless connection cause im getting dsl HAHAHAHA!!!!11

(editted after I saw your irishwan post)

Ah but dsl only = internet, the WAN is so much more?

Should be linked up to Dublin before Christmas, and there's a new supernode being put up in Tipperary.

You know what this means?

neither do I.

que

Caliden wrote:
    aww ul que with the wireless connection cause im getting dsl HAHAHAHA!!!!11
    F-U-C-K
    Y-E-A !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Number6

I demand that we sacrafice a virgin to "Nucky Lord of Oughterard", as to appease the angry God after the power fiasco of the last lan.

think there maybe a few on rotten.com
    go ask the owner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

if this lan looks like its going ahead . and if i have my car back by then . and if i aint in a pile of **** . or up asoks ass i shall be able to go . sounds good john .

• Advertisement

The Date is pretty much set for the 22nd-24th October (Friday - Sunday) as Darkside X is on the weekend after that.

I'm looking for suitable venues at the moment, when I ahve one I'll organise the sponsorship stuff and tackle a bit of servery-type stuff.

Oh, and I'm in 4th year :)

w00t

SOMEONE BRING GTA: SAN ANDREAS! its out on the 22nd :D

:)

"out" [on the ps2]

1)I would appreciate if someone would ring up menlo primary school in menlo, not menlough and ask them for the number for there community centre.

2)On success at point 1 proceed to point 3

3)ask them for the number for there community centre again, cause altho they are nice ppl they are quite difficult to understand as they are from the gaeltacht.

4)Ring the community centre and ask them if the have the weekend of *insert date here* free.

5)post reply here!

6)you can stop reading my stupid stupid post now!

7) stop god damn it

9)did we skip a number??? STOP U TIT!

Sound.

/me looks for phonebook....

Any joy?

I could have looked for phone book but I'm up the wall with ****... while at work 9 - 6 where they log calls....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

just got dsl at home .. so :)

whats the story .. ? did ye manage to get the place ?

I had a nice big post typed up here, but my login to boards timed out and it got wiped.
    I'm in a hurry so I can't type it again but here's the jist:

I'm investigating furniture rental at the moment.
    When that's sorted, Sniipe can confirm the venue booking (within 1 weeks' notice of the weekend of the lan).
    After phoning one supplier there, price for 20 6'x2.5' wooden tressle tables and 40 comfy cushiony chairs is around €300.
    Cost of Venue is €400 (inclusive of electricity costs).
    I'm gonna be buying a box of cable, lots of good quality power reels (20A cable) and various other bits and bobs before the lan.

40 people x €30 entry fee == 1200 quid, which leaves us with about €300 after the venue, furniture and cable is paid for, which will be chugged back into the drive array fund for binary and getting that second cpu for holler.

I haven't kept any books on the income/expenditure, relying on people seeing the kit we've bought with the cash as being the evidence, but I'm going to make an effort to keep a record of LAN incomings and outgoings in future, just in case someone decides to act the bollocks :)

Oh, and I've to update the Disclaimer too.

NO MORE PLANNING. Lllllllaaaaaaannnnnnnnaaaaaaagggggggeeeeee....... yeeeeppppiiiieeee!!!! dot dot dot dot dot dot dot.......

I'd be there right only for my life requires me to be here in Dublin, writing silly basic unix commands... meh! Never feer I'll be there round 9ish, or if I miss the train, that will be 12ish... meh!

• Advertisement

/me explodes in a puff of pink smoke

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement