Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graz AK - Liverpool (May contain traces of goals after 7.45pm)

• 10-08-2004 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Well there had to be a thread! :)

Graz AK 1 - 3 Liverpool but Owen not to be one of scorers.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

1-2 pool , with Liverpool's goals coming late on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

2-0 to the pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

ill go for 2-0 liverpool

is it on tv or anywhere online?

Stekelly wrote:
    ill go for 2-0 liverpool

is it on tv or anywhere online?

TV number 3 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Should probably add a spoiler warning to the thread title...

I know these aren't the actual scores but they'll be on later...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A draw wouldn't surprise me :)

A draw wouldn't surprise me :)
    It's definitely one of three concievable options :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

mike65 wrote:
    Well there had to be a thread! :)

Graz AK 1 - 3 Liverpool

Mike.

Grrr! When I read that I thought the match had kicked off early.

I predict 3-1 Liverpool. All Liverpool's goals coming in the first half, wanting to get the job done early and then rest a few key players/blood a few new ones in the second half.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

4 - 0 to liverpool.

should the team be announced an hour before hand?

Any news on Owens inclussion?

• Advertisement

p.pete wrote:
    should the team be announced an hour before hand?

Any news on Owens inclussion?
    Answer my own question:

Liverpool line-up as follows:

Dudek

Josemi
    Hyypia
    Carragher
    Riise

Kewell
    Gerrard
    Hamann
    Finnan

Cisse
    Baros

Subs:

Kirkland
    Henchoz
    Potter
    Owen
    Diao
    Pongolle
    Warnock

Big Ears wrote:
    TV number 3 .

cheers and here was me thinking my laziness would never cost me,imagine if i hdnt asked. Id probably have spent the evening watcing coronation street r sumthing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting! Finnan on the right and no Owen start...hmmmmmm.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Bye Bye Owen, Ha I said allday that Finnan would be on the right side of midfield

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Apparently it's a 'football decision' why Owen isn't playing.The manager will say after the game that he wasn't told not to pick Michael tonight.
    He's not playing because he preferred Cisse and Baros for this game. That's what he's going to say.

Mark my words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

2-2 draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Dub13 wrote:
    Apparently it's a 'football decision' why Owen isn't playing.The manager will say after the game that he wasn't told not to pick Michael tonight.
    He's not playing because he preferred Cisse and Baros for this game. That's what he's going to say.

Mark my words.
    eh, he already said those exact words yesterday. :D I wouldn't believe it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Owen is going. If it was just Owen on the bench I would understand, but Pongolle is there too so if a striker is coming off, Pongolle will be coming on, if of course a striker is chosen.

1-0 Liverpool, Gerrard. What can I say other than. WHAT A ****ING GOAL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

1-0

Gerrard. Lovely long range goal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

PiE wrote:
    1-0

Gerrard. Lovely long range goal.

Yeah, good goal....not as good as Davey Scouse's against Hajduk last week, but good all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Liverpool are actually exciting! 30 mins gone and not asleep yet! has to be a record :) anyway class goal and Cisse looks good! as I said in other thread! get rid of that waster Owen and play Baros-Cisse up front! class

Cracking goal by Stevie G . Some nice movment and passing (er pass and move!) Cisse not at the races yet good to see Bentiez directing traffic rather than being sat down waiting for something to happen.

Oh yes a quick word about TV3 - Christ, the combination of Welch and Stappleton is surely more deadly than any WMD.

Mike.

Cissé's first touch is woeful. Hamman and Gerrard are doint well in midfield, not much from Finan yet, and Kewell was very quiet for the first 25/30 mins.

A good game though.

By the way, anyone think Ramusch off GAK is a dead ringer for Lee Dixon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

It pains me to say it but I like the shape of Liverpool, as a United fan I'm actually enjoying thir style of play. Not impressed by Cisse at all though. Seems a lazy git.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Am I only one to think that Gerrards reaction after the goal was very subdued. Didn't look like a happy camper!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

am i the only one that thinks theres too much hoofing?

what were the bloody austrian tv people at playing with the video for a while there

2-0 Gerrard again. two great goals. Sjould be 3, nothing wrong with the middle one

• Advertisement

Yeah, should have been a hat-trick, I'm glad though, I had a tenner on 2-0 with me friend in work!!

A well deserved win for the 'pool, and no Mickey Owen either, speaks volumes I'd say. He'll be in his way soon.

Stekelly wrote:
    2-0 Gerrard again. two great goals. Sjould be 3, nothing wrong with the middle one

Indeed, Cisse was on his arse so not interfereing with play. edit not on arse at all! Had got upright and was back on-side so it was a high foot by Cisse that was flagged...

Good result nearly had a kitten when Diao came on!

Mike.

it wasn't offside, i think it was because cisse's foot was high
    diao looked useless, would've preferred to see biscan

Dub13 wrote:
    Apparently it's a 'football decision' .
    of course it is , as in Owen couldn't have played football for Real in the Champs League if he had come on or started .

Theres different meanings of the word footballing descision . ;) .

a decent performance from the pool , good to see Steve Finnan playing , although he lacked a bit of creativetity and pace .

what the hell was up with Kewell in the first half and a lot of the second ,he's not playing well at all .

Gerrard needs to improve his first touch(probably the weakest part of his game) , but his finnishing is leathal, 3 cracking strikes .

I think he could get as many as 15 league goals if he's gonna hit them like that all season .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I must admit I was pleasantly surprised Liverpool looked good and played shock of shocks attacking football. Hollier must be disgusted.

If they do sell Owen though they will need to bring in another striker and Arsenal and Manu are going to be looking for those as well now because of injuries.

I might try and catch the Liverpool vs Man City game on Sentanta this weekend, it should be good for a few goals :)

Bugger I mean the weekend after next for that match LOL, its the 21st !!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

gandalf,
    You will be doing well to catch the Liverpool Vs Man City game this weekend its not on ontill next weekend... :D:)

We have Spurs this weekend

Did you read the 2nd post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Not a good Cisse performance, I've got a feeling he might just go the way of Diouf, didn't seem all that bothered about what was going on around him. Gerrard was good tonight, definitely deserved the hat-trick. I thought Diao did ok, harassed the Graz boys and forced them into errors often enough. Warnock looked very lively when he came on, will be interesting to see how this season goes for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Not a good Cisse performance, I've got a feeling he might just go the way of Diouf, didn't seem all that bothered about what was going on around him. Gerrard was good tonight, definitely deserved the hat-trick. I thought Diao did ok, harassed the Graz boys and forced them into errors often enough. Warnock looked very lively when he came on, will be interesting to see how this season goes for him.

same way as diouf? are you mad?

was i watching a different game tonight?

:eek:

Cisse wasnt at his best, because gras defended very deep. didnt look as lively as against roma or celtic, but looked good none the less. i thought baros was a bit sluggish.

some nice football played, josemi is not afraid to go forward, and we looked solid in defence!

is it just me or would anyone elso not prefer morientes + 10 million for owen?

and stevie gerrard... he makes me cry a little when i watch him... an exaple of loyalty to every player out there. sure his celebrations were a little subdue toinght, but we were playing a team from a "collect 10 crisp packets to win" league.

i was impressed tonight!!

i think stevie is unsettled and i get the impression that he doesn't really want to stay, especially since hes almost the only starting englishman left - all his mates gone (if owen leaves too)
    wicked striker of the ball though isn't he

i thought cisse was poor, disappointingly poor
    and as for being faster than henry, i had my doubts when i heard that, and looks like i was right

morientes and £10m for owen is too good to be true, so i don't think it'll happen
    more like morientes and the change in perez's pocket, still don't want owen to stay either way

• Advertisement

I didnt think Cisse was that bad , there was a lot of through balls deemed offside (some were close , some wearnt offside) that he was on the end off , and I have no doubt that he would have run on and put them in the net if it wasnt of rthe linesmen .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Watched the game last night and Cisse looked OK to me, he had a few very close chances and was ruled offside a number of times, he was a little suspect at stopping in his tracks if impeeded in any way though, i think within a month or two he will be just fine and looking forward to the Man U game where i hope he will be on fire.

The rest of the game i though was very good, i was waiting for LFC to sit back on the 1 goal they had but they kept coming forward which was surprising. Maybe just maybe we can see exciting football in Anfield again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A good win for Liverpool. I only saw the goal highlights so cant comment on the match in general. Gerrards celebration was indeed subdued. Did he have any body language interactions with Owen, that would be telling. Benitez must be happy as it is the ideal start to the season proper and very important financially

The 0-2 win over Graz in a way makes Owen's bargaining position slightly more difficult as Liverpool are now closer to guaranteeing that all important CL group stage income source and need Owen less, if you catch my drift. That will mean lower salary expectations.

It looks like Owen is in a very difficult position. Who would imagine that he would effectively be dropped for an important CL match such as this and I still find it unusual for the player to be left in limbo land like this.

Viera is in a similar position in the sense that he is not playing. I think it would be better for the sport if there was a much narrower signing window for eligibility to play (you cant stop players from changing employers) which is put in effect Uefa wide and would close before the seasons commence. That would get rid of this "will he, wont he" scenario that we are now in.

If Owen stays, it will be an unsettling episode and one that we could have done without. If he goes, its equally unsettling as Liverpool lost huge value in the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

as for being faster than henry, i had my doubts when i heard that, and looks like i was right

Not sure about the faster than Henry thing but Cissé does have incredible pace. For such a big lad that's unusual.

On Owen the stumbling block is not money as I understand it (hell why would it be on 80k a week?). I think Owen belives he should have more of a say in things which are not his concern ie trying to tie down Rafa on certain transferes to the club, tactics, etc that and his unwillingnes to sign a decent extention. As for Gerrard -okay he ain't smiling too much but I've seen him just the same in quite a few games. If he'd scored a brace against Man Utd last night you'd have seen a different reaction.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Good to see Benitez given youth a chance. Potter has amazing potential, hopefully he takes the chances he's given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Firstly, a great result for the pool last night, a couple of goals away from home is good in Europe no matter who you are playing against. As I said in the other thread, I will be sorry to see Owen go but having Morientes in there would ease the blow and I believe that the couple of quid extra would go on well for buying S W Phillips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i'b be happy if xabi alonso + wright phillips were the last 2 purchases of this transfer window. baros missed a sitter too.... and we know how good he is. dont judge cisse on one game. you all should know better than that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

The young guy who came on at the end for Liverpool: Potter, am im right in thinking he's irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

The young guy who came on at the end for Liverpool: Potter, am im right in thinking he's irish?

yeah he has played a couple of times for the under 21's

• Advertisement
Advertisement