Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU recommendation for 9800 PRO

Options
  • 10-08-2004 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Hey
    I bought a Chenbro Gaming box (Komplett 120090) and it comes with a 350W PSU. Not sure if its the same make.

Lots of people seem to recommend at least 400W. My Abit EQ log shows my +5v rail jumps to 5.05V a lot.

Anyway I'm going to buy a new one of Komplett and am wondering whats the best quality for value PSU out there.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

TBH komplett dont have any decent power supplys in stock. The Fortrons are very good but they wont have them in until atleast september.

Have a look at....

www.pc-look.com , www.hitide.ie for the best ones. Have a look at the link in my sig (pc specs help) and i think its the second post down which gives help with power supplys.

A decent brand like Antec, Be-quiet, etc etc 370w should be enough. Fortrons the 300w will prob work ok as it produces way more power than its rated for.

Your +5v rail would want to jump more than that to get worried TBH. Try running prime95 (torture or blend test) and monitor your rails and let us know what they show.
    Suffer from any restarts?

What are your system specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Yes post your specs and do some research on the Gaming Bombs power supply because I have a feeling that Chenbro probably included a good power supply with that case and that you don't really need a new one :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

dent wrote:
    Hey
    I bought a Chenbro Gaming box (Komplett 120090) and it comes with a 350W PSU. Not sure if its the same make.

Lots of people seem to recommend at least 400W. My Abit EQ log shows my +5v rail jumps to 5.05V a lot.

Anyway I'm going to buy a new one of Komplett and am wondering whats the best quality for value PSU out there.

Thanks for any help

I have an antec 350w and it seems to be doing fine with my slightly overclocked 9800pro....

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

System Specs follow

Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro 128MB
    P4 3.0Ghz
    Abit IC7
    2*Corsair TWINX512-3200LL DDR-DIMM 512MB
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB S-ATA
    Plextor DVD Drive 16x/48x
    Hansol 19" CRT .20dot pitch
    2 Thermaltake fans

The PSU is comes with is a
    "350W FSP Group power supply unit known as PowerMan or Forton."

Suffer from no restarts put plan on overclociking. I've ordered my Arctic cooler for the 9800 pro and if able to ( will check core ) plan to flash to an XT. Just want to be sure I have enough juice. I'll check the pc specs help now for more info. Thanks for the advice. Not sure if the brand "FSP Group" is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

FSP is fortron so thats a good sign. Even if its the cheaper fortron model its still going to deliver the 350w...... thats good to know (thought it might have came with a no-name crappy one).

Run prime95 while monitoring your voltages and see what they go to . Watch the +12v , +3.3v , +5v ........ ignore the - v rails.

That PSU might be fine............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Im using a Antec 350W SmartBlue, check my sig to see what its powering. As Col_Loki said, if yer +3.3V, +5V and +12V etc rails are holding steady under load then I think your PSU is fine.

Advertisement