Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest Driving Lessons?

• 10-08-2004 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm getting tired of girls having to drive me around the place (note to serious people, that was a joke) so I'm going to get some driving lessons again.

I'm being quoted crazy money - EUR 35 an hour.

Is this the norm????

Anyone know anyone who is cheaper? Even a freelancer??

I am in Dublin City Centre.

Thanks,

JV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Get family or a friend to do it. More stressful for them and maybe a bit more agro towards you, but a good way to start. It is good idea to have some prior knowledge and experience before going near a driving school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

yip thats what they all cost in general. The best way to learn is to do it tho, every one I know that was out driving on a regular basis on the provisional did well and passed in the tests. Good instructors will help of course, but depending on how bad/good you are you might only need the odd lesson every now and then while you wait for your test to come through, then a couple of them right before it, day before or that morning usually is very helpful.

Having said that if you know nothing, then you really should get someone who can teach you how to do it all right from the very start, not just talking about getting the car moving :)

G'luck.

Crazy money comes in the form of insurance and tax...*sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

mine were €290 for 10, not too bad i think. He was very good aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I think that there was some thing passed that driving lessons shouls cost the same no matter where you are, and the standard price was 30 euro. can't find anything on it tho.
    I only ever got one lesson, I drove up and down a cul de sac at home for days before hitting the road, find somewhere like that where you can practice, remember its not driving thats hard, its the stopping and starting thats the problem.
    Obviously get some lessons before your test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Will the cost of petrol affect the cost of them??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Healio wrote:
    Will the cost of petrol affect the cost of them??
    Shouldn't (or at least by an insignificant amount). Look at it this way: assuming the lessons are being done in an instructor's car, currently the instructor is getting paid for his time, insurance, wear and tear on his car and the petrol so there are (at least) four things to factor in. Petrol is about €4.40 a gallon at the moment, if it dropped 20 cents a litre (to 80 cents:), I live in hope)it would be about €3.50. At a guess, you're unlikely to do more than about 15 miles (if even that) in a lesson. Probably town driving so let's say the car gets 25 miles to the gallon in that time (I've very little idea of mileage so this is just a guess). Increased cost to the instructor as a result of increased fuel prices is under 50 cents.

Advertisement