Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

home made PSU (well kinda)

Options
  • 10-08-2004 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

rite it all started when i was trying to overclock my CPU. i noticed that after increasing the voltage to the cpu through the bios, after the reboot i could literally hear the Rpm on my cpu fan drop down. twas then i deicded i defo need a new PSU but low and behold i aint got any mohoney. so... i decided to look around the house for a 12V adapter off a fone or something but the best i could find was a 14.5V so i said what the hell. i have a cooler master fan controller that controls 4 of my fans not including the CPU Fan. i put one those molex i think there called on the end and plugged it into the CPU fan And then onto the fan controller. now as it was a 14.5V adapter i didnt think it would work but it did infact im getting higher revs through all the fans now which inturn gives me a cooler PC.
    also as i was overclocking and had the pc open i noticed the intense heat coming off my FSB couldnt believe how hot it was, Mobo manufacturers should start puttin temp diodes in there!!!!!. I then had another great idea i took the stock fan from the heat sink i took off the 9800pro. i had to break the heatsink open but the screws lined up exactly with the fins on the heat sink on the FSB cool or what and now i have a fan cooled FSB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Please tell me your joking. :D

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

BloodBath wrote:
    Please tell me your joking. :D
    Oh no he's not - David's a little mad when it comes to messing around with his hardware :D Anyway he really needed that extra cooling from the fans because his entire PC was about to melt, everything is OCed to it's max ;) - I'd say by now your PC must sound like a rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

no its workin out grand have all the fans on the home made adapter and just the essentials on the PSU i.e. Mobo, HDD, GFX, CDrom
    have it at 2.6ghz now and not even goin over 65oC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

any chance you could post a pic of this adventure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Wow you looper....... thats crazy haha!! And your going over 2v......

• Advertisement

2.1Volts now to get to 2.6ghz

no point postin pics cant really see anything only the adapter hangin outta the back of the PC ill get offler to confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eh... FSB? Do you mean the northbridge chipset?

ye ye you no wot i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Aye I was trying to figure out the fsb thing. When overclocking the northbridge definitely needs some decent cooling. Either a very sexy passive cooler or one with a fan.

It sounds a little crazy. With all those high voltages and large ammounts of heat I'd be surprised if your system lasted more than a few months before something fried but i'm no expert on amd stuff so don't let me put you off.

BloodBath

thats the thing though,
    now that my PSU aint being stressed it aint puttin out any hot air and the fans are all runnin higher than normal because of the extra 2.5 volts goin into them shouldnt reall yeffect the life span of the fans but if it does fans cost hardly anything anyways.

• Advertisement
Advertisement