Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT on jap import

Options
  • 10-08-2004 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I have recently imported a jan 95 registered japanese car.I rang to ask about NCT and was told i would have to bring it in for NCT but it would only run until 01/05 when it would have to go again.I did hear somewhere that the NCT was due on cars on the 3 years after the date of import (a loophole?).Has anybody heard of this .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Nope, it is on the date of first registration and they are serious about it coming due again in January after only five months. I'd leave it until November when it falls within the 'three months early' window. Or not do it at all.

Bend over, here comes the NCT...

'ceptr

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

LOL - you really hate them don't you?

They are a pox on the Irish motoring public. Nearly as bad as Karl Tsigdinos and the SIMI....

Oh don't start me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Nope, it is on the date of first registration and they are serious about it coming due again in January after only five months. I'd leave it until November when it falls within the 'three months early' window. Or not do it at all.

'ceptr

well car wasn't registered before( and it's older then four years) which means if you get number plates today. it will be excluded from nct test for 1 year (untill you have anniversary of first registration) and you get 2 years nct from this day

had imported honda car and this was the case.

so drive nct free for a year

Hmm? Sounds good - just doesn't make sense. How did you tax your car? Did you not show the NCT cert? I understood the date to be the 'japanese' date of registration as on the import docs but I'm not an expert and this may not be the case so I'm going to shut up now...

'ceptr

• Advertisement

Hmm? Sounds good - just doesn't make sense. How did you tax your car? Did you not show the NCT cert? I understood the date to be the 'japanese' date of registration as on the import docs but I'm not an expert and this may not be the case so I'm going to shut up now...

'ceptr

i now it's weird but checked with nct and they told me that car will be due nct next year . they also taxed the car without any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

not having the nct doesn't affect being able to tax it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

I can tell you all hold the NCT in such high regard...... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TabluaRasa

Here's my experience, I just imported a car from the UK :

i) you don't need to get NCT before you tax it, you will however need the documentation you got when you paid the VRT
    ii) it is illegal to drive without displaying the NCT cert
    iii) the 1st NCT is only valid from when you import it to when you would have had to do an NCT on it had it been in the country all it's life for example :
    I import a 1995 car, I NCT in June 2004, this 1st NCT only valid until end 2004, NCT again in Jan 2005 for 2 years etc. The 2005 NCT is the one that would have been scheduled had the car been in the country all the time.

So I suppose the rule would be to choose the date of manufacture or your date of import so that you maximize the dates between these 2 NCTs.... I wish they would tell you these things first though!

I import a 1995 car, I NCT in June 2004, this 1st NCT only valid until end 2004,

anyway, in my case

my integra was imported in 03, Nct was done on first anniversary of Irish registration (after 1 year), got nct in 04 for two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Gmodified wrote:

my integra was imported in 03, Nct was done on first anniversary of Irish registration (after 1 year), got nct in 04 for two years.

but what year was your car originaly registered in its country of origin

late 1995 last owner mr yokohama :D

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

NCT goes from when the car was originally registered wherever it came from!!

I can see this posted here but not so plainly!!

best advice is to leave it till august/ september then they can book you in for their "3 months early" thing and you get a confirmation letter you can show to any decent guard and he'll accept you're makin an effort but most don't be too bothered so long as you've tax and insurance!!
    this worked for me a few months back!!

sorry I rambled a bit there!!

Vehicles imported from Northern Ireland and abroadVehicles imported to Ireland from outside the State (including Northern Ireland) must also go through the NCT (once the vehicle is 4 years old or more). This applies even if the vehicle previously received an MOT or any other vehicle test abroad. NCT test certificates will be issued for a period of 2 years, after which the vehicle (if still in Ireland) must be tested again.

The NCT on these imported vehicles is due on the anniversary date of first registration in the country of origin. (Again, the NCT will only be due once the vehicle is at 4 years old or more). Read more about importing a vehicle into Ireland here. After you have imported your vehicle and paid Vehicle Registration Tax you receive a Vehicle Registration Certificate. Bring this to your nearest NCT centre and have the vehicle input on the NCT database so that a record of your vehicle is kept. The next day, a test can be booked for your vehicle by contacting NCT (see 'Where to apply').

Taken from oasis.gov.ie

I checked my papers and my car was imported just after anniversary date of first registration, which means that--- according to rules I had to wait nearly 1 year for next anniversary and then got NCT for two years. :D

so, i was wrong as your are not excluded from nct for the first year but you only get away with it if the car is imported just after the anniversary

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks for the definitive answer there, Gmodified :)

Maybe you should also post that in the sticky about importing cars from the UK

Advertisement