Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This weekends(14th/15th August) Games

• 11-08-2004 8:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭

Looks like Cork have named their team already with Cian 'Connor coming in for John Gardiner
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0811/cork.html

Wexford also have injury doubts over Eoin Quigley and Paul Carley. But they have Paul Codd and Chris McGrath waiting in the wings. Hopefully Wexford can do the business in this game, if they can use their small men to drag O'Sullivan away from the square then they could have a lot of joy, so fingers crossed.

As for the football, Paddy Bradley may not be fit for Derry on Saturday, although I have not been their biggest fans this year I am going to tip Westmeath to beat Derry and to reach their first all-ireland football semi final.I think that Westmeath have decent forwards and if Rory O'Connell plays like he did in the Leinster finals then they will have plenty of the ball. But it will be close.

The other game(well Dublins chances)has been discussed at length in other threads. But as I have stated previously I think that Kerry have a little to much for Dublin. It looks like Seamus Moynihan and Declan O'Sullivan will be back. Dublins defence looks shaky to me and the distribution from midfield is abysmal.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0810/kerry.html

Well there are my tips and news!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

My tickets for Saturday and Sunday arrived this morning. What with Lansdowne tonight, it is going to be a busy sporting week! I'd say Westmeath can take Derry. If Bradley is out, that is a big loss to them. As to the Dubs, we are on a roll and are due a result over Kerry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Apparently Moynihan will not play on Saturday. From a Dublin point of view this is great news. I still have Kerry down as favourites but only slight favourites now. They will need to perfrom a fair bit better than they did against Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Cork to hurl Wexford off the field in the first half, wexford claw back, ends cork win. Much like last weekend, 6 week lay off is more of a handicap now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

These dates mean a return to the club action in Kilkenny so looking forward to those. All fixed around the times of tv games which is as it should be.
    Looking forward to great action in a few of these games

St.Canices (Kilkenny) Credit Union senior hurling league.
    SAT 14TH
    Nowlan Park. O Loughlin Gaels v Young Irelands 7pm Ref. Domo Connolly
    Freshford Tullaroan v Erins Own 7pm Ref. John Guinan
    Ballyhale GraigueBallycallan v Glenmore 7pm Ref. John Minogue
    SUN 15TH
    Callan James Stephens v Dunnamaggin 1pm Ref. Eddie Crowley
    Nowlan Park Shamrocks v St.Martins 1pm Ref. Pat Dunphy
    Freshford Dicksboro v Fenians 1pm Ref. Denis O Sullivan

A great night in Lansdowne tonight with a nil-all draw. Saturday and Sunday should be even better! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Cork (SH v Wexford): D Og Cusack; W Sherlock, D O'Sullivan, B Murphy; C O'Connor, R Curran, S Og O hAilpin; T Kenny, J O'Connor; B O'Connor, N McCarthy, T McCarthy; K Murphy, B Corcoran, J Deane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Kerry team to play Dublin

D Murphy, T O'Sullivan, M McCarthy, A O'Mahony, T Ó'Sé, E Fitzmaurice, M Ó'Sé, D Ó'Sé, P Kelly, P Galvin, D O'Sullivan, E Brosnan, C Cooper, D Ó'Cinnéide, MF Russell

No Moynihan, has anybody seen this Paddy Kelly guy play,is he any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

HE is an under 21 making his senior debut at the all ireland quarter final stage and demoting Liam Hasset to the bench. He can't be bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

i heard him talked about before..."the new spilanne" "the new fitzt" "the new Goouch" etc etc

what ever bull they are saying about him if hasset is on the bench cause of this lad...then im worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Wexford have named their team for the clash with Cork. Paul Codd replaces Barry Lambert who is out injured

D Fitzhenry, M Travers, D Ryan, D O'Connor, R McCarthy, D Ruth, J O'Connor, A Fenlon, T Mahon, P Carley, E Quigley, P Codd, M Jordan, M Jacob, R Jacob

Westmeath and Derry have also named their teams for their game on Saturday:

DERRY (SF) - B Gillis; K Guckin, N McCusker, SM Lockhart; F McEldowney, P McFlynn, P Kelly; F Doherty, Patsy Bradley; J Donaghy, J McBride, C Moran; Paddy Bradley, E Muldoon, James Bradley

WESTMEATH (SF v Westmeath) - G Connaughton; J Davitt, D O'Donoghue, J Keane; M Ennis, D Healy, D Heavin; R O'Connell, D O'Shaughnessy; B Morley, P Conway, F Wilson; A Mangan, D Glennon, D Dolan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Kerry will Kick ass big time!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

\o/ Doire Abu

Cant believe it.. :D

:confused: We were bad in the first half and we were worse in the second. Our defence played well in the first half, but the forwards were not doing their job up front. Once Kerry got that goal - reminiscent of their one against Monaghan in 1985 - Dublin seemed to fade away! :(

Looks like a Kerry v Mayo final, although Kerry are not that great. Hopefully Derry will deal with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Flukey wrote:
    Looks like a Kerry v Mayo final

I hope that's true but I think the danger is that there's so much hype and expectation in Mayo since the win over Tyrone that a lot of people are looking beyond the Fermanagh game - the semi final is a walk over to many but I'm not so sure. The outsider tag will suit the northeners whereas Mayo rarely perform well with a 'dead cert' label on their heads. Maybe it will be different this year, I hope so but at 6/1, I think Fermanagh aren't a bad bet for the championship - they won't fear Mayo and certainly won't be afraid of who comes out of the other semi. I think the Kerry championship price (4/5) is disrespectful to the other 3 teams considering, as Flukey said, that Kerry are not that great. I'll be there on Sunday to lend support and hopefully we'll get another day out in September to avenge 1997 if Kerry make it past Derry.

I certainly hope Derry beat Kerry. The other Semi-Final is going to be interesting too, but Kerry and Mayo will be favourites in both. I intend to go to both and in about 20 minutes I'll be heading to Croke Park for today's hurling Semi-Final which I am hoping will be won by Wexford who will then win the All-Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Flukey wrote:
    Wexford who will then win the All-Ireland.

Cant agree with that but certainly hope they get there to make it an all Leinster ocassion like 1998:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭por

Flukey wrote:
    :confused: We were bad in the first half and we were worse in the second. Our defence played well in the first half, but the forwards were not doing their job up front. Once Kerry got that goal - reminiscent of their one against Monaghan in 1985 - Dublin seemed to fade away! :(

Looks like a Kerry v Mayo final, although Kerry are not that great. Hopefully Derry will deal with them.

If Kerry came up against an better team than Dublin yesterday then would have been 5-10 pts down at half time. Dublin were brutal and did nothing will all the ball they had. Kerry on the other hand were a different team when they came out for the 2nd half, played better and got a goal that killed Dublin off. I have not seen enough of Derry to know how they would capatalise on a poor Kerry 1st half performance like yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

It was a bad result for Dublin yesterday against the auld enemy, and surely its the last nail in the coffin for Tommy Lyons, who should have gone last year imo.

As I have said before, this Dublin team have some capability as was shown in their first half display. If they would have converted all those chances that they created into scores in the 1st half, then this game WOULD have gone a different way. It was also a whisker of the woodword on some occasions that was the difference - ie: the shot that rocketed off the bar generated no points. And it has to be said that the Kerry goal was fortuitous, collecting a rebound off the left pole, although it was well finished.

At the end of the day there can be no gripes in the Dublin camp. They didnt respond when they needed to, and as in other games you have to convert the chances you create. Dublin were never able to get back on terms in this match once they started slipping behind. A sign of mental weakness, perhaps, combined with physical weakness.

Kerry meanwhile got their act together in the 2nd half and started scoring. However, like others have said on this thread, if they had met a tougher team on the day, they would have been out of this year's championship.

In terms of the Derry-Westmeath match, it was a much closer affair and it could have gone either way. Perhaps Westmeath suffered somewhat from their hangover of having won their first ever Leinster. They have achieved so much in one season and should go on in terms of development in the next few years, you would think. Derry, who have had an abysmal time in the last few years are playing for pride and for themselves and see themselves as underdogs in every match, so this is helping spur them on. The same as Fermanagh. They didnt let their heads go down even when slipping a few points behind and showed great resolve to pick themselves up and continue.

It would seem that writing a team off is one of the best ways to motivate for the season. Its an unusual year, and who knows who will win it out of the remaining 4. Kerry do seem to have the most capability but can fold on the day and could fold against either a Fermanagh or a Mayo in the final.

I think if you are a betting person you would have to put your money on Kerry - BUT be prepared to lose it! Derry may feel that they have reached their pinnacle, opening the door to Kerry. However, Mayo, as someone pointed out may get over-hyped and that could be their achilles heel against a Fermanagh team which will be underdogs once again and not expected to win.

Here are the odds:

Kerry 4 - 5
    Mayo 7 - 4
    Fermanagh 6 - 1
    Derry 10 - 1

I dont care who wins, as its good to see different teams in the mix. Although Kerry have had too much success over the years for their own good, so any one of the other 3 would be better for the sport, imo. Kerry need a longer time in the wilderness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The Kingdom will be win the all-Ireland, no doubts.

I would not be so sure. They have showed weaknesses all year. Their second half performances have brought them back on a few occasions. If Derry can get their game together, they could beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That Dublin v Kerry games must be one of the worst of the year, how in the name of god Dublin got to the 1/4 finals is beyond me, or was it because they actually did not meet anyone who could play gaelic in their previous games. Have the have been the worst team in the quarters, they gave up with 20 minutes left. In saying that Kerry were not a hell of a lot better, Derry could take them if they step it up. If Moynihan does not come back then Kerry could be caught out in the semi's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

redspider wrote:
    I think if you are a betting person you would have to put your money on Kerry - BUT be prepared to lose it!
    I would say if you are a betting person to keep your money in your pocket. The odds on Kerry are ridiculous seeing as at this stage anyone could win it. Imo both Kerry and Mayo are far too short of odds to put any money on them while Fermanagh's odds seem about right and Derry's odds seem quite generous and may be worth a flutter. But what do I know.

I got to see the Westmeath match after the hurling on Setanta yesterday and I thought we threw it away. Far too many easy enough chances missed. Derry got the goals, the first of which was excellent, and that was really the difference. One thing about Derry though is that they didn't really pose enough of a threat all through the match. They had very quiet spells which I think if they were to be repeated in the next game(s) they will pay dearly for it. In saying that though their forwards showed that if they get good ball they can make good use of it.

Maybe, but they did enough to win. They'll need to go all out if they are to win the Semi-final.

Advertisement