Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne F.C Vs Deportivo La Coruna (may contain scores)

• 11-08-2004 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

May as well start this one off .. I'm heading down to the game tonight , hope the crowd get behind Shels , I'm not too confident as Depor are a massive side with a very good recent record in Europe.

I'd be happy with a close game 0-0 or 1-0 to the Shels :cool:

Anyone see Shels progressing or is it too much to expect from the Reds ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think its a big mountain for Shels to climb. It could be close tonight, maybe 0-0, 1-0 or 1-1, but the away leg will require a heroic performance. It would bo good to see Shels get to the lucrative group stage, put Ireland on the club map in Europe and get in some money. It could be the start of a massive change in Ireland league football, which we have been waiting decades for ..... here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Come on the Shels! I'll be there myself, West Lower! Can't fncking wait! Let's make noise tonight, let's not be shy to join in chants - even if we don't know words to some, let's just make noise, join with the tune. Get behind the lads. If I don't leave the ground tonight hoarse I'm going to be very upset with myself.

I can't see Shels progressing over 2 legs, but a shock result tonight would be fantastic in itself for Irish football. I've my fingers knees toes and testicles crossed for the lads!

Come on you Shels!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

My nose will be bleeding on them from the West Upper.

Not expecting a miracle but they do happen occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well the best that can happen is Deportivo make the mistake of assuming they'll criuse to victory. Even then, no better than say 2-1 tonight to Shels.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

only 8 depor fans have made the journey, and i wouldnt expect too many more to be in the riazor! Hopefully a sizeable contingent will travel to La Corúna, but of course that all depends on tonights result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

There might be a load of Spainish students over to cheer Depor on however I do hope they are drowned out by the chants for

Shelbourne CLAP CLAP CLAP Shelbourne etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Oh jesus the nerves are kicking in right about now....West Lower, Section G, seat 191, thats me, wave if you see me!!

Forza Shels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm actually quietly confident that Shels can snatch a result tonight. Fenlon said he'll be treating it as an away leg which, IMO, is silly but who am I to say. I think they'll treat Deportivo with too much respect and allow them to attack a lot. If Hajduk played for the win last week they could have got it but they sat back for the 0-0. Depor will be playing for the win, I just hope they don't murder Shels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

eirebhoy wrote:
    I just hope they don't murder Shels.

But if they do then surely Shels would be awarded the win and qualify for the next stage, Huzzah! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Shels could get a result tonight , but they havent a chance away from home .

1-1 I think will be the score , and then 3-0 in Coruna(to Depor :( )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Be positive ladies! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Love to be their tonite but will have to settle for the tv.
    Really looking forward to it & even a draw will be a great outcome for our league.
    From waterford FC to Shels every good wish tonite :D

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Sorry lads but I cannot share your enthusiasm about a result, even tonight. I'd say it could be up on 3-0, 4-0 to Deportivo. Its a pity Fitzpatrick is playing instead of Ndo who looked a much better player last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

realistically I cant see Shels getting a win out of tonight, unless the spanish are really off the ball. Its the first time an Irish club side has got this far and is not used to playing this quality of opposition week in week out. The best thing for Shels is getting a draw and increase their co-efficient. Then go into the UEFA cup and go on to its group stage and get some good results there !!

Of course I would love to see Shels getting a win tonight

Something suprising I read in today's Herald:

Irish U15 and U16 team manager is Vincent Butler has helped produce some of Ireland's best young players (Duff, Keane, O'Shea, Dunne) but says Wes Hoolahan is the best player he's ever seen

Hoolahan kept Reid on the bench for the Ireland U-21's and often outshone his teammates.

Bungalow Bill, 4-0 is a likely score in Spain but I really can't see it happening tonight unless Shels sit back and allow them possession for 90 minutes. Also, Ndo is a midfielder so unless Fenlon played Byrne up front on his own he wouldn't be taking Fitzpatrick's place.

BTW, I wouldn't normally buy the Evening Herald but the first 7 pages and the last 7 pages are previewing tonights match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

eirebhoy wrote:
    BTW, I wouldn't normally buy the Evening Herald but the first 7 pages and the last 7 pages are previewing tonights match.

Another tribute to Shels as all this publicity cant do the league any harm at all :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

With Shelbourne on RTE and Man Utd on TV3 it will be intresting to see who gets the biggest audience.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Something suprising I read in today's Herald:

Irish U15 and U16 team manager is Vincent Butler has helped produce some of Ireland's best young players (Duff, Keane, O'Shea, Dunne) but says Wes Hoolahan is the best player he's ever seen
    .... Also, Ndo is a midfielder so unless Fenlon played Byrne up front on his own he wouldn't be taking Fitzpatrick's place....

Well I thought he looked a mcuh better player when he came on for Fitzpatrick in the first leg, granted though, i honestly don't know much about the EL so I won't contest it!

shels are off to a good start :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

shels are off to a good start :)

Indeed! :D

Hopefully they can keep it going:p

Edit: the keeper was taken out there!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

"In fairness to Shels they done great there to be fair"

Shels were unlucky to score to be honest. They have played quite well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Shels were unlucky to score to be honest. They have played quite well :D
    What the hell does that mean? Are they winning or not? The suspense is killing me!!!

to be fair to Shels they're limiting Depor to no chances , to be honest '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Good half for Shels, they were quite physical and managed to contain Deportivo well.

Long balls aren't accurate enough to be honest, but they are breaking well and arguably had the better chances.

Have to take it to 70mins scoreless and maybe nick a goal.

Shels are playing great. If Hoolahan is being watched by scouts he'll have no problem getting a premiership club the way he's playing. Fitzpatrick is shíte up front on his own, he's been caught offside 5 or 6 times now. I can't see Shels getting a goal from open play because they have 10 players playing in their own half but they could easily nick one from a set piece.

If Pat Doolin says 'to be fair', one more time....... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

If Pat Doolin says 'to be fair', one more time....... :mad:

Lets count how many times....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

LOL, glad I'm not the only one noticing how annoying Doolan is. Roddy Collins is talking crap too, Shelbourne are doing fantastic, I just hope that fatigue doesn't set in, they're working very hard. I think a 0 - 0 draw would be a better result for Shels, it gives them the chance to nick something when they go to Spain.

• Advertisement

Luco is just after going past the last four, but offically he was offside. shels were lucky there.

Pandiani nearly got through there but captain from Shels took a great tackle

Upfront for those who cant see, shels are playing the long ball but its not very accurate and have to keep the ball on the deck, hold it up more and try going through the middle

fitzpatrick is off, thank god... talk about not producing the goods

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

its over and what a result, maybe could of sneaked it late on. cant argue great effort UP THE SHELS!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

fitzpatrick is off, thank god... talk about not producing the goods

Yeah i know he's totally uninterested, same with the Split game... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only saw moments here and there and the last 10 mins but Shels looked perfectly comfortable just a pity the long balls rarely found thier target.

Mike.

A 1-1 draw in Coruna and there into the group stage. :D I can't see Shels getting anything in the away leg but at least they got another 0.167 coefficiant points to leave us on a total of 1 points so far this year.

Ndo has to start on the right and Byrne up front for the away leg. Fitzpatrick needs a partner up front but with the quality of the Shels midfield he'll have to be dropped. I still think Shels could get a score draw in Spain and those 1/50 odds for Deportive to qualify now look a bit short. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

pity they couldn't nick a goal, its unlikely they'll get the result in depor
    fair play though, hardly the 4 or 5 nil some people thought could happen, that said depor weren't really interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Quote of the match:

"Hoolahan did great there he sent Mauro Silva off to get the Evening Herald (to be fair)"
    -Scumbag eile commentating with Hamilton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Watched it on de telly and Shels were well able to hold their own against Deportivo. Most importantly they didn't conceed an goal. Its now set up perfectly for them when they go over to Spain. Depor will be under pressure to win and will have to come forward, Shels could get slaughtered they also could sneak a goal and then the cat will be amoung the pigeons.

The most impressive player on the pitch was that no 11 for Shels Wes Holihan I assume he won motm?

Its almost better that we didn't get a goal because they are still as confident as they were coming in. If we had won the match, while it would have been a momentus victory, it would have enraged the beast, so to speak. This way we still have our whole underdog card.

Heary was man of the match .

a good performance from shels , and hopefully having played in Landsowne they will be more used to a large , intimidating stadium.(well the fans are intimidating not the stadium itself ;) ) .

• Advertisement

I said before the start of the match, a good result would be a 0-0. A win would be brilliant but its not easy since Shels havent been playing this quality of opposition week in week out, or have the same individual skill.

Shels did very well tonight, a lot of people were quoted 2,3 or 4 nil to Deportivo. Even RTE were a bit on the negative side, i.e. they are destined to loose. Good professional upbeat manager for Shels.

Fitzpatrick had to come off, "fair enough" : P he has done the business before for Shels but if its not working on the night then it has to change. They were winning a lot of the balls in the middle of the park but have to hold it up a lot more and improve in the final 1/3 of the pitch.

I can see Shels scoring in Galica, but I can see Deportivo scoring also. Those odds for Deportivo to go through are a little over the top! They should do it, but shels will be well in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

It was brilliant for Shels to get a 0-0. And it could of been alot better but I'm glad they didnt give Deportivo any VITAL away goals and they really have a chance now when they go to Spain. a 1-1 or 2-2 will do and then all Shels will be seeing is €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Great result for Shels. I'm not an avid Eircom League fan, so I wont really try to give too much opinion. I thought Shels put in a fantastic hardworking performance with considerably more skill than I would have expected from an Irish team. Deportivo definitely had the superior skill, but on the night it wasn't really enough to threaten Shels.

The game back at the Riazor will be very interesting now. If Shels score first, anything could happen. However, if Deportivo score, I think it will be too much to ask for Shels to respond. I'd love to see them get through, unbelievable as it seems. It wouldn't be a victory for quality football, but it would be fantastic for Ireland, the Eircom league, the fans, and in particular, the players.

mr_angry wrote:
    . but it would be fantastic for the Eircom league.

actually it would mean the end of competitiveness for the title , and im sure some clubs would take the risk of a big loan just to stay in touch with Shelbourne .(which could possibly cause bankruptcy) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

well that is life and they would have to adapt and change to suit that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

great night, well worth the €10 student ticket!!

ab fab performance from the lads, pured there heart out, landsdown sounded like there was 80,000 people there shouting there heads off, i'd love to experience that every week in the group stages!! The crowd is there for shels if they get through! the deffo would have filled landsdown if they had temp seating!

anyone goin to la couruna? €590 for a flight with the payers, €200 bus from Busáras down?

will be a great, great game!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

not a eircom league follower, but fair play to shel's,
    they did their city and COUNTRY proud tonight....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Great game, great atmosphere! [Not so great weather! I was in the uncovered East Lower! :D] Was well impressed, they did Ireland proud tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Luckily i was covered in the West Lower. Incredible performance from the lads, imho Shels were the better team on the night. Wes in the middle stood out once more. Fitz up front isn't up to the job on his own. He had to go off - same as last week. Ndo had some nice touches when he came on. He could be very handy in the away leg. Crowd did the team proud too, kept the noise up for 90 minutes. I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway.

actually it would mean the end of competitiveness for the title

here, I would rather see Irish Clubs do well in Europe than have the EL up for grabs by anyone. Sooner or later an irish club side was bound to get into the 3rd round. Lets just hope that some of the other 2 teams next year can follow in Shels steps :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement