Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne F.C Vs Deportivo La Coruna (may contain scores)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Yeah twas a good game , both sides had a few chances , Shels were never really over run or on the back foot. They passed and moved out of defence very well and it seemed towards the end that Depor were happy with the nil all draw...

I look forward to the next leg game .. hopefully shels can get a 1-1 away result to go through on away goals :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Great result I know, but I came away a bit disappointed. Shels should have won. They were the better team on the night.

Well done lads, and well done to all the supporters who turned out.

Again, the Briogáid Dearg were class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

fitzpatrick is off, thank god... talk about not producing the goods

I didn't think Fitzpatrick was that bad, TBH. He was playing all on his own up front and there weren't exactly hordes of Shelbourne players breaking forward to pick up his layoffs.

Hoolahan was great. Ndo looked creative when he came on. Who knows. If Shels nick one away, Depor will have to outscore them. Unlikely I know but then so was Giants Stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Fitzpatrick....layoffs.....

They weren't layoffs, it was just bad first touch. When Jayo went up front, Shels were much better.

For the second leg, Ndo will have to start on the right, even though he isn't a right sided player, more of a central midfielder, with Jayo up top from the start, and Wes playing for the breaking balls off Jayo. Alan Moore and Stuey Byrne holdin in the midfield.

I wonder will Heary be cited by UEFA for the elbowing incident. That will be a bad blow for Shels if he's out of the away leg, and possibly games in the Group Stages/Uefa Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Well Done Shels. Really hard fought match. So much so that some of the tackles flying in from the Shels players were lucky not to receive a booking.

Did they make the pitch much narrower last night to counter act Deport playing wide?? If so Shels might be found out for fitness on the away leg!!

B.

yeah the pitch was narrowed by about 1.5 metres each side .. as tolka is very narrow ..

Did not see the Heary Elbow but will probably watch the recorded match again tonight ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭SteM

Well done to Shels, great result for them. I'm stuck in Germany and missed the match but have spoken to friends about it this morning, it seems Shels could have nicked it at the end? Maybe the move to summer football is paying off in European comps! If I come back from this trip with any cash I may try to head over to Spain to hopefully see a bit of history in the making! ;)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Good result. The clean sheet is priceless, now all they need is to keep it level for the whole game in the Riazor and they'll have a chance. There will be alot more room to play the ball around on the pitch down there. Added to the fact that Depor players will be attacking more.

I'm still fairly cautious at the fact that Depor looked like they were playing for a draw and were looking to bring the tie to Shels in the Riazor. But maybe it was a blessing in disguise for Shels. The crowd were great. I was at the very top of the East stand and everyone was involved in the chanting and cheering on Shels.

Good result, more to do. Fingers crossed that Shels will do well in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

I didn't think Fitzpatrick was that bad, TBH. He was playing all on his own up front and there weren't exactly hordes of Shelbourne players breaking forward to pick up his layoffs.
    Now that really is being generous. Being on your own up front only really comes into play as an excuse if you can get on the ball, and then not have anyone to lay it off to. However, the flaw was that Fitzpatrick could just not get on the ball. Fair enough at times the service wasn't great, but when the ball did go to him his touch was atrocious (he needed about a 6 yard radius around him free of Depor players to keep hold of it after his first touch.) Even if he managed to get a second touch that usually lost it. He just couldn't control the ball, didn't seem all that interested in going up for headers and all around didn't seem all that interested in doing too much closing down work. I really just thought he had to go off. He was as bad if not worse than he had been in the Split game. I definitely think it needs ot be Jayo to start up front, with the 26 cap Ndo coming on from the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

...Ndo coming on from the start.

Essential that he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

LizardKing wrote:
    yeah the pitch was narrowed by about 1.5 metres each side .. as tolka is very narrow ..

Why did they have to adjust the pitch in Landsdowne to match the narrower pitch of Tolka Park? Why couldn't they just have played with it at it's standard size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Bard wrote:
    Why did they have to adjust the pitch in Landsdowne to match the narrower pitch of Tolka Park? Why couldn't they just have played with it at it's standard size?
    They didn't have to, they wanted to. Shels are used to playing on a tighter pitch so felt they had a better chance of getting a result of they made Lansdowne tighter.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

was there in the West Lower. Great game. Great Atmosphere (what was the story with so many seatless fans around section F?). It's a great result for Shels but Depor looked preoccupied. I think their attitude is that Shels are just a small hurdle to overcome and then concentrate on the league and CL group stage. Maybe this attitude could work in favour of Shels in Spain. If they nicked an early goal it could disrupt the Depor gameplan and leave gaps to be exploited. I'm going to remain optomistic!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Although not thrill a minute stuff i think last nites Shels performance was 1 of the best ever by a league of ireland side in Europe.

Except for a ten minute spell at the start of the second half they weren't one bit overawed by Deportivo.

Hard to expect them to go a step further in Span but where theirs life theres hope as they say.

Well done Shels a credit to the LOI. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

>im sure some clubs would take the risk of a big loan just to stay in touch with Shelbourne .(which could possibly cause bankruptcy) .

You would probably get a shock if you saw some of the accounts being turned out by the clubs as it is.

It is not "essential" that Ndo starts in the away leg, as he is not matchfit. Fenlon's tactics have been thorouhgly vindicated by the results, which is the only thing that can make or break them. The 4-1-4-1 has shown to work, and will probably be employed again in the away leg. All we can do is give our opinions, but the way Shels have kept 3 clean sheets in European football, together with making unprecedented progress in the Champions League says that Fenlon's proved some of us wrong. IMO nothing should be changed.

• Advertisement

We saw against Hajduk and Deportivo that when they have their defenders have the ball they could pass it around all day long if they wished. Fitzpatrick was always the only player in the oppositions half when they had the ball, the rest of the players just sat back and let Glen play piggy in the middle. When Deportivo give it their all in 2 weeks I can't see thise tactics working. Shels have to keep them under pressure and don't let them pass easily.

It should be interesting to see how they change their tactics for the Cork match on Saturday.

Shels will play 4-4-2 against Cork. Listen, all teams, even Man Utd, change their tactics in a European game. You need one lad to just run around up front, and you are relying on the midfield to get the goals, to a certain extent. That's the way it is in European football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

just to remind people (and to tell people that didnt know) that the Shels V Cork game is on TV3 on Sunday .

Im definetly going to watching it anyway , no matter what foreign league games are on . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Big Ears wrote:
    Sunday .

Saturday?
    i'm watching it too, but then, i can't watch any other matches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eyerer wrote:
    Saturday?
    i'm watching it too, but then, i can't watch any other matches

im not too sure the day I just have it auto-viewed in my personnel planner , its just Eirebhoy said Sunday so I said Sunday .

Point is im watching it no matter what day of the week it is .

• Advertisement

TV3 .. saturday ... nooooo that probably means Damien "Ricco" Richardson with his quintessential use of the english language ... I swear that man looks up impressive words in the dictionary before going on air ....

LizardKing wrote:
    TV3 .. saturday ... nooooo that probably means Damien "Ricco" Richardson with his quintessential use of the english language ... I swear that man looks up impressive words in the dictionary before going on air ....
    Haha... Anyone ever count the amount of times he says "professional" when he's making a comment? I think he's up to about 672467 now.

Think Ryanair are doing a special 1 day return flight thingy ... might get a few of the hardcore shels fans going over ... http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/08/13/story161627.html

LizardKing wrote:
    Think Ryanair are doing a special 1 day return flight thingy ... might get a few of the hardcore shels fans going over ... http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/08/13/story161627.html

Is that sarcastic? The hardcore Shels fans are going over, come hell or highwater, regardless of whether Ryanair are doing a one-day special, or how much Abbey Travel's package is. In fairness, it is the 18,000 "hardcore" Shels fans we should worry about, and where they will be the for the next Shels league game. :rolleyes:

No .. t'was not Sarcastic ... If you saw the video of the Game in Split there were about 50 - 60 Shels fans there ... Also the game in Coruna might be a bit more of an appealling destination , along with the flight offer it may get a few more to travel...

I also think a lot of the Shíte being spouted by some of the other eircom league fans about shels attendances is total crap , none of the eircom league sides get massive attendances week in , week out hopefully the Shels media coverage will help change that and get more people out to games ...

LizardKing wrote:
    No .. t'was not Sarcastic ... If you saw the video of the Game in Split there were about 50 - 60 Shels fans there ... Also the game in Coruna might be a bit more of an appealling destination , along with the flight offer it may get a few more to travel...

I also think a lot of the Shíte being spouted by some of the other eircom league fans about shels attendances is total crap , none of the eircom league sides get massive attendances week in , week out hopefully the Shels media coverage will help change that and get more people out to games ...
    Well Cork City seem to always have a good few at their games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

to be honesy, i think the derry travelling support have been the best, they came down last year to tolka and they were super!

the depor game can only improve the leagues status. tv3 wouldnt normailly have shown the cork game, and i would have travelled only for i was working.

VinnyL wrote:
    the depor game can only improve the leagues status. tv3 wouldnt normailly have shown the cork game
    TV3 announced this fixture on the 14th of July before Shels even played a European game. I'm sure they would have shown it no matter what happened in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

LizardKing wrote:

Not anymore. From ryanair.com:

News Release
    SHELS CHARTER RYANAIR FLIGHT FOR
    CHAMPIONS LEAGUE DECIDER

Ryanair, Europe’s No.1 low fares airline, today (16th August 04) confirmed that Shelbourne will charter a Ryanair aircraft to Spain for next week’s Champions League return leg at Deportivo La Coruna. Ryanair also announced today that it had cancelled the special passenger flight to Santiago de Compostela due to disappointing bookings.

Ryanair’s Head of Comunications, Paul Fitzsimmons said:

“We are delighted that the Shels team have chosen to fly with Ryanair, Europe’s No.1 low fares airline. Ryanair is already Europe’s most punctual airline, and we’ll be pulling out the stops to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible for the lads on the trip. We had originally allocated a special spectator flight on condition that a sufficient number of fans would be travelling. However we have been disappointed with the uptake, and have consequently cancelled the flight. Those passengers which had booked will be given full refunds.”

Advertisement