Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rapist wins lottery

Options
  • 11-08-2004 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

just saw on news,that a convicted rapist won the lotto,and they're thinking of not giving it to him...this may not fit under "politics" but im interested to hear what you all think

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

What's the reason they're using for not giving it to him? I wouldn't be happy about giving it to him but I can't see how they can't unless they get him on some sort of technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I don't think he deserves it but if you don't give it to him, where do you stop? Do you not give it to any criminals or just not to violent criminals?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

What's next? Denying someone car insurance because they were once convicted of joy-riding? :rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't see why they're doing this, other than sensationalist mob mentality stirred by "the Sun" newspaper et al. Unless they can prove he's gonna use that money to reoffend or some sh*t, I don't see what their problem is. Will they do the same for a convicted murderer? How about a convicted car-thief? or a bank-robber? How about a shop-lifter? Or a tax-evader?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Lemming wrote:
    What's next? Denying someone car insurance because they were once convicted of joy-riding? :rolleyes:
    Actually, that sounds like a very good idea to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

ReefBreak wrote:

I was thinking the very same thing

• Advertisement

Please note the use of the word *once* reefbreak.

Hey. i've a better idea. And in conjunction with that farce of a death-penalty thread.....

why don't we just execute everyone ever convicted of ANY crime. Then there'll be no tizzy over an ex-con winning the lottery. Or worry about car-insurance. There, much better eh? :rolleyes:

f
    f
    s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

great idea to take it away from him... eye for eye in this world any one ask his victim(s) what he managed to take from them.
    rapists are the scum of this earth and thats exactly how they deserve to be treated...like scum. they should be greatful that they are part of our race at this stage and there not completly banished from our communities. he deserves nothing...........

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

> why don't we just execute everyone ever convicted of ANY crime. Then there'll be no tizzy over an ex-con winning the lottery. Or worry about car-insurance. There, much better eh?

Sex criminals tend to re-offend, but this has nothing to do with the lotto. Legally they shouldn't have sold him the ticket if they were going to withhold the prize based on some condition, OR they should made those conditions clear inthe terms of the ticket on the back.

Now that's just silly - executing people for committing any crime...? ;)

Anyway, I still stand by what I said: get convicted for joyriding => no more motor insurance.

I haven't read that death-penalty thread by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Carlitos

i agre with that view,if he doesnt get it where do we stop,however the bone of contention is the fact that millions of the public are basically funding a rapist..its thier money that will be making his life easier and happy,perhaps that just makes people uneasy

• Advertisement

lisa.c wrote:
    great idea to take it away from him...
    Now that I definitely agree with - take the winnings away from him and hand it over to his victim(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

So only robbing a car *once* and driving it in a reckless manner *once* is Ok?

Actually, Lemming, when you say it like that, why not give joyriders cheaper insurance? use the logic that they're going to go out and drive anyway, and they won't pay the full price.

And, in regard to the "tizzy over an ex-con winning the lottery", he isn't an ex-con. He was out on temporary release. F*** Him. Give the money to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

I'd say the main reason theyre trying to deny him the money is because it would look bad and be bad for business, not from any moral issues.

He paid for his ticket, he deserves it as much as anyone else.

thats true,i think its just comparing ti to last week whee a cancer victim wins it...black and white..it cant be a fairytale every week i guess

yossarin wrote:

Sex criminals tend to re-offend, but this has nothing to do with the lotto. they shouldn't have sold him the ticket if they were going to withhold the prize based on some condition, OR they should made those conditions clear inthe terms of the ticket on the back.

Which is my point yossarin. Unless they can prove that if he gets this money he's going to re-offend then they don't really have a leg to stand on and are using sensationlist mob-mentality courtesy of the likes of "the Sun" newspaper.

Unless he *does* re-offend I don't see what the problem is. I'm not advocating giving him a job in the local well-woman (or man??) clinic or some such, but I'll not judge him until he re-offends. Would I trust him? No.

He's been given time. He was released by the government who either deemed him to not be a threat, or had served the full sentence handed him. At this point the lottery organisers are behaving like vigilantes, deciding what "additional" punishment he should receive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

They should give him his winnings, then his victim should sue him for damages in civil court. Should be an open and shut case, since he's already been convicted.

meh...thats the best idea yet...give him money(canceling any moral double standards) then sue him...works both ways...nice one lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭gaizka71

I totally agree with this,
    Meh wrote:
    They should give him his winnings, then his victim should sue him for damages in civil court. Should be an open and shut case, since he's already been convicted.

The victim should get most of the money this person won....

Plus I think that if he is not allowed to win, he should not be allowed to play, if he can play, he can win, that is the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The money should used to pay for his time in jail and the compensate the victim.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ReefBreak wrote:
    Now that's just silly - executing people for committing any crime...? ;)

Anyway, I still stand by what I said: get convicted for joyriding => no more motor insurance.
    You hardly think a joyrider gives f*ck about motor insurance? Deny him the ability to get motor insurance and watch him drive about uninsured and a danger to others.

People jailed for any crime still have the right to make money, however it arises. I would however, make him pay full cost of his imprisonment. A bit like how people can only get a state-sponsored lawyer if they can't afford their own - why should the state have to pay to house criminals who can afford it themselves?

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    The money should used to pay for his time in jail and the compensate the victim.

Unless the sentence he received such a clause, then it wont, and can't happen simply because you can't be tried for the same crime twice (and convicted twice).

He was detained at the government's leisure ergo assuming the responsibilities for maintaining the costs involved. Funnily enough, they only ever look for recouped costs from people wrongly imprisoned ......

As for compensation for the victim, unless passed in sentence or the victim sues (once) for loss-of-earnings etc in a civil court, it isn't going to happen. Again a case of "additional" punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I don't think the Lotto has (should?) ever been about rewarding moral people. I have no idea if any of the other luck bastards who won in previous weeks actually deserved the money they got ( I would say a lot didn't ).

It is a bit of a bad taste thinking that my euros went to making this guy a millionaire, but at the same time what can you do. I agree with Meh that the victim should now sue him for every penny.

He was thrown back in jail though for being a flight risk now, which is funny I guess and kinda balances things out (what are you going to do with a mill in the big house, have your butler ass raped instead of you?)

Meh wrote:
    Agreed,I hope the victim is on to this already!

Shouldn't this be in either afterhours or Humanities???
    It has little or nothing to do with politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Darren

I am disappointed to see a man of this character win thsi sort of money on the lottery. However, you buy your ticket, you take your chances. Give him the money. I hope either his victim sues him for all of it or he kills himself with drugs or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

If your not in you can't win! and if you in but you're a convicted rapist you can't win either.

Give the man his money. This is open and shut. I'm amased people are being so sensational.
    Maybe - just maybe, he has served his time in jail; he is now completly repented and rehabilitated; he is now a leading activist in the prevention of rape; he travels the country giving time in rape crisis centres/giving talks in prisons etc., and he would give most the money to a charity. The posibility exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Unless there is some law/regulation with good legal standing regarding this type of situation he should be given all of his winnings. If there's no legal reason not to give it to him then it doesn't matter what crime he is guilty of or what crimes he may commit in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A link would be helpful.
    RAPIST WINS LOTTO Aug 11 2004

By Emma Britton

A RAPIST serving a life sentence has won more than £7million on the National Lottery.

Iorworth Hoare, 52 – described by a judge as “a menace to women” – was on weekend leave in a bail hostel when he bought the ticket.

He won a third of the £21million Lotto Extra jackpot worth £7,039,469.

Hoare is said to have bragged at the hostel in Middlesbrough next morning: “I’m going to be sound for the rest of my life. I’ll do well from here on in until the day I die.”

But hours later he was picked up by police who decided the win made him a “security risk” and moved from Leyhill open prison in Gloucestershire to a more secure jail.

A prison source said it was for his own safety. Neither the Prison Service nor Lotto organiser Camelot can withhold his prize. But he will have a cash limit of £2 a day while in jail.

Hoare served 18 years for a sickening record of sex crimes including one rape, two attempted rapes and three indecent assaults in the 70s and 80s. He was then jailed for life in 1989 for trying to rape a 60-year-old. A judge told him: “You are a menace to women.”

Dave Hines, of campaign group Victim’s Voice, said: “It is galling that a man like this can keep so much money when victims’ groups are desperate for cash.

“If he is really reformed he should give the money away to his victims.”

The Prison Service said: “We don’t comment on individual prisoners.”

Camelot would not confirm or deny the win, saying: “We have a duty to protect the privacy of every winner who chooses not to make a win public.”

According to the report he has to be given the money as there is no law against it.
    But I suppose the police would rightly have concerns about him having access to so much money.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Morally right or wrong, he paid for his ticket, he should probably be paid the money, and strongly advised to pay part of his winnings into victim support.

The lottery didn't mention anything in their Terms and conditions, 'money will not be paid out to rapists, murderers, thief's, etc.'

The lottery people cant be seen to be making up rules as they go along, surely they thought of the possibility of something like this happening and a protocol put in place just in case??

Sounds a rather unsavoury character indeed, but there's not exactly anything that can be done tbh. Only thing that might possibly be used against him is that he technically hasn't been released from his sentence. He was on temporary release, as opposed to having been released with a "goodbye and lets not see you back here again. But that's dependent on Camelot having a clause somewhere regarding convicts and playing the lottery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As it says, he's limited to £2 a day while in jail. That makes him a wealthy man in jail terms, but for all intents and purposes, he won't see any of the money until he's released, i.e. until he's a free man, "rehabilitated". Why shouldn't he be allowed have the cash at that point?

If the police were really crafty, they could not let him out to collect his money until the win expires, but that would be dodgy legal and moral ground.

Advertisement