Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VF Offer: 1,000 w/end minutes for €8

• 11-08-2004 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

VF have a new offer of 1,000 weekend minutes for €8 (per month). This is available for pay monthly customers only.

On the face of it it looks like a good offer. Its equivalent of 16 hours to other VF and land line numbers. Then I was thinking, unless I go through my bill and calculate the number of w/end minutes I currently use I will never know if it is! Furthermore, my largest bill has never been much above 16 hours (I use mine for work as well). So unless I start doing a lot of weekend talking I am just giving VF another €8 per month and increasing the fixed cost of my bill from €50 to €58 per month giving them another €96 per annum.

Also I was in Belfast and picked up a VF brochure. The differences in tarriffs is scandalous - latest phones, many free and very attractive airtime packages.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Hmmm, 16.6 hours of talktime between midnight Friday to midnight Sunday.
    You'd want to be fairly chatty to use more than a tenth of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

the fixed call for your bill is €50 a month? Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I'm on the talk and text Plus option. €50 includes 100 minutes, 150 text messages and 100 call a friend (as long as he/she is on VF and you can wait till after 8pm) minutes for free.

So really i would only get a fraction of the value of the extra €8 I'm paying to VF. My mother used to say that Mr. Coleman (the mustard man) made his money by what was left on the plate!! Looks like mr. VF likes his mustard too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think its a good offer.. Its obviously not aimed towards business customers. For an average joe who rarely uses their phone for personal use it will mean very little but there is a lot of people out there who will take advantage off it.. There are people who's only choice sometimes is to keep in contact with loved ones over the phone. If you are one of these people, you will save a fortune..

BrianD wrote:
    was in Belfast and picked up a VF brochure. The differences in tarriffs is scandalous - latest phones, many free and very attractive airtime packages.

This one has been discussed to death.. Up until recently anyway, the cost of using your phone in UK was not much cheaper than in Ireland and I dont think much has changed. Granted, the initial outlay for the handset is far cheaper but this is more to do with nearly 60 million people and a good number of operators competing.

I assume you are comparing a tariff that most people would use as oppose to some obscrue one that suits 1 in a million..

Normal RTG tariff

Call type
    Vodafone Ireland
    Vodafone UK

To Vodafone mobiles
    and landlines
    50cent/15cent
    30p/5p

To other mobile
    numbers
    65cent/30cent
    35p/35p

Text messages
    13cent
    12p

Picture message
    25cent
    36p

All in all, there is little to seperate them overall. You can choose alternative RTG options here that are not available in the UK that may suit your usage better too..

Comparing the Postpaid options though it s different story.. I will try the base ones from both..

Base tariff

Light - 20 euro - 10 peak mins, 50 off peak mins, 50 call a friend for free
    Anytime 100 - 22 sterling - 100 mins anytime

Call type
    Vodafone Ireland
    Vodafone UK

To Vodafone mobiles
    30cent/15cent
    15p/15p

To other mobile
    numbers
    50cent/30cent
    40p/40p

Landlines
    50cent/15cent
    15p/15p

Text messages
    13cent
    12p

Once again, its not much different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hmm midnight Friday? ... sure doesn't the weekend really start earlier on Friday evening :)

it looked interesting at first glance, wondered if it could be used for the on-network Mobile ISP, but reading the small print put the end to that...
    Talk Weekends 1000 minutes/rate may not be used to make calls to other mobile telecommunications networks, roaming calls, calls to or from mobile gateways (as described in ComReg Information Notice 15/03), calls to ISPs or calls to mobile ISPs.

BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The very least they could have done was made it from 6PM Friday until 8am Monday. You'd want to be a hell of a lot of talking to get any real use.

Perhaps 300 texts and 500 minutes would have been a better idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

This one has been discussed to death.. Up until recently anyway, the cost of using your phone in UK was not much cheaper than in Ireland and I dont think much has changed. Granted, the initial outlay for the handset is far cheaper but this is more to do with nearly 60 million people and a good number of operators competing.

There are HUGE differences between the tarrifs in the UK and Ireland.

For starters,
    In the UK you get your mobile for free on contract. There can be up to a €200 difference in handset prices between the UK and Ireland.

In terms of tarrifs you can get 1,000 minutes any network any time for £35.50(now half price thanks to competition from 3) now on Vodafone UK with your free handset and free weekend calls to vodafone numbers. This compares with the same for over €360 here for the same 1,000 minutes. Their best offers are seldom listed on the vodafone UK website but can be got in their UK stores.

If we were to start comparing Vodafone Ireland contract tarrifs with 3 UK or Vodafone Ireland PAYG tarrifs with Fresh UK PAYG then the differences become even clearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Mmm, seems like a good offer (relatively speaking of course). Wouldn't make much difference to me but I saw the advert on the box at the weekend and meant to post about it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Sleipnir wrote:
    Hmmm, 16.6 hours of talktime between midnight Friday to midnight Sunday.
    You'd want to be fairly chatty to use more than a tenth of it.

this is across a month right - so 16.6/4.3 =~ 4hrs per weeked - which wouldn't be too hard to do

4.3 = average number of weekends a month

• Advertisement

Fungus wrote:
    There are HUGE differences between the tarrifs in the UK and Ireland.

For starters,
    In the UK you get your mobile for free on contract. There can be up to a €200 difference in handset prices between the UK and Ireland.

In terms of tarrifs you can get 1,000 minutes any network any time for £35.50(now half price thanks to competition from 3) now on Vodafone UK with your free handset and free weekend calls to vodafone numbers. This compares with the same for over €360 here for the same 1,000 minutes. Their best offers are seldom listed on the vodafone UK website but can be got in their UK stores.

If we were to start comparing Vodafone Ireland contract tarrifs with 3 UK or Vodafone Ireland PAYG tarrifs with Fresh UK PAYG then the differences become even clearer.

Yes you are correct. I was doing my best to compare like for like.. As I said, there are so many permutations that you will always find one tariff that blow another one out of the water but some of these tend to be aimed specifically at certain usage patterns... The Vodafone/O2 vs Meteor debate has been ongoing for ages now, at least they are competing in the same market.. Comparing something in the UK to whats available here is slightly different and pretty much applies to everything.

As it goes, in the mobile market I think we are not doing too bad... From memory the current tariffs are in place now for just over 2 years, August 2002 I think.. The current ones in the UK have recently only been introduced and if I remember correctly the old ones were released a while before the current ones in Ireland. So maybe there will be a bit of an overhaul here soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

The current ones in the UK have recently only been introduced and if I remember correctly the old ones were released a while before the current ones in Ireland. So maybe there will be a bit of an overhaul here soon...

Yeah, I think a big overhaul is in store here. Meteor with national coverage, 3 who have to reach the market before christmas boom time, forced MVNO access and signs that Vodafone and O2 are starting to lose customers should all combine to stir up some real competition.

Lets hope customers move with their feet ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

this is across a month right - so 16.6/4.3 =~ 4hrs per weeked - which wouldn't be too hard to do

Wow if you think it's easy to clock up those hours, I would hate to see what your bills are like now!! My VF July bill - just over 16 hours airtime and including SMS came to €295.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

BrianD wrote:
    Wow if you think it's easy to clock up those hours, I would hate to see what your bills are like now!! My VF July bill - just over 16 hours airtime and including SMS came to €295.

Instead of sending 3million texts organising saturday nights out you could use the 2hrs of "free" talk time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

.....Granted, the initial outlay for the handset is far cheaper but this is more to do with nearly 60 million people and a good number of operators competing......

Theres only one reason a handset which is identical across the world, (other than software differences) would be substantially more expensive in Ireland than anywhere else, is that we are being screwed. Economy of scale (worldwide) would mean that it costs next to nothing to make these phones.

Advertisement