Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas for re-makes of classic films....

• 11-08-2004 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

I agree completely with the thread about Ameriacn remakes.
    wtf is this newfound obession with p1ss-take remakes of films and tv-shows? It's seemingly not enough to admit to a total imagination vacuum by reheating some long dead corpse of a half idea such as the brady bunch or Josie and the pussycats but it must also then be ritually shat upon by remaking it with tongue in cheek and playing everything for the ignorant rat-like laughs of a half-wit audience of gibbering, post gen-x, illiterate inbreeds incapable of considering any idea if it's not to laugh at it in some horrified attempt to detach oneself from the empty and harrowing world in which it exists.
    I haven't yet seen the new stepford wives film, so maybe I'm wrong in chalking this up in the same category, but I intentionally missed starsky and hutch and scooby doo and am dreading the long heralded arrival of the a-team film.

What else can we expect from this colon of a film industry? Any suggestions?

The Searchers remade by Ben Stiller and Adam sandler in which a seeminly sensitive cowboy with an explosive temper befriends a bumbling jewish stereotype clutz who loses his burning underpants while making butter with his newly adopted mother in law in an indian tipi?

Schindler's list starring Will Ferrell as the fart joke obsessed German industrialist intent on expanding his sex-doll factory to fuel the war effort and Tom arnold as his politically incorrect assistant, hosting frat parties in Dacahu.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

You make a good point - although i have to wonder how long you were writing that before you committed it to the board :D

FWIW, I thought the Brady Bunch movie was an absolute hoot, precisely because it wasn't a remake. It did the relatively bold thing of taking the ultra kitsch 70's family and plant 'em bang smack in the middle of grunge/skate obsessed california. Yes they lived in a gammy house. No - they'd never heard of lesbitarianism. And the only brand of jeans was Levis..

so - crap remakes - It's A Wonderful Life starring Tom Hanks and Sigourney Weaver. Actually, i'm surprised this one hasn't happened...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

so - crap remakes - It's A Wonderful Life starring Tom Hanks and Sigourney Weaver

Kinda already has. "You've got mail" was a rip off of the wonderful Ernst Lubistch's "the shop around the corner". Thats was vile.........

Casablanca, It's a Wonderful life are all kinda holy grail they're not that bad. As for the Searchers Star Trek DS9 ripped off the idea (Star Trek do that alot) with Kira and Dukat in search of his bastard daughter, for her to discover he plans to kill her.

Good remakes. I really really like the remake of "the Thomas Crown Affair" The original's music and dodgy split screen technique aged the original woefully. The remake was bigger bolder, great chemistry between the leads, and I can even forgive the happy ending. Great opening as well.

This game is pretty easy. Think of a classic, think of two actors who annoy you and your least favourite modern genre and tack that on. The scary ones are when someone tries to earnestly remake a film in the style of the original, and ladies and gentlemen we have a winner; "Stallion is Carter, in Get Carter"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

From the American Pie team comes... Some Like It Hot.

Then a year later, Some Like It Hotter: Uncut!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Carpocrates - not all remakes are bad. The Brady Bunch was a poor example for you to pick, as it's very well done, due to the reasons grumpytrousers outlined. That's not mocking the original, so much as a comparison of value systems. It's also entertaining. And Starsky & Hutch was actually amusing - it's not like the original was a high-brow piece of entertainment now was it? Other remakes, of stuff like The Stepford Wives or Ocean's 11 aren't desecrating actual classics either...

But let's talk about those situations where they do potentially screw up with an acknowledged classic and not those decent attempts that do crop up. May I suggest 2001: A Space Odyssey? The Nanny's Franz Heiner (sp?) is the new voice of HAL, updated with a humor chip and the ability to sing a range of songs. Will Smith is Dave, trapped aboard the insane vessel, on his way to a voyage of discovery. The classical soundtrack has been updated with a funky new dancetrack and a specially commissioned D12 song - "Dis be some funky sh1t" for the closing sequences. Directed by Steven Sommers and coming to a theatre near you soon...

Advertisement