Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zidane to retire from international football

• 11-08-2004 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

L'equipe state this morning that Zidane won't play for France again. He intends to announce it officially on Thursday evening apparently.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The Article translated:

Zidane to the retirement?

A week after the discussion between Zidane and Domenech to Madrid, and on the eve of the publication of the list for France - Bosnia herzégovine, "THE equipe" asserts that the number 10 of the France team « will not return » under the blue shirt, after 93 divided up selections on almost ten seasons. The star of the Real Madrid, that will do his official return Wednesday evening in League of the champions to Cracovie, chose to announce it Thursday evening on Canal +, during a discussion granted to Michel Denisot and filmed to Madrid.

The newspaper mentions collected confidences with the immediate entourage of the player. « As it recently confirmed it to its near ones to the coming from this discussion with the national trainer, Zidane quittera well equips it France, writes "THE equipe". To thirty-two years, his determination to turn the page to consecrate itself, first, more amply to his family, then to win in the middle of the stars madrilènes, was not impaired. »

Zidane would have decided well before the Euro 2004 to give this orientation to his career. The elimination against the Greece in quarter final (0-1), very far hopes that it nourished for the group, not nothing changed to the data. The announcement of the international retirement of Zidane would intervene after the one of Marcel Desailly, Lilian Thuram and Bixente Lizarazu. She would leave unresolved the question of the capitanat with the Blue ones, and would do Fabien Barthez the last survivor of the generation having begun between 1992 and 1994.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Did you use Babelfish for that Eirebhoy?

Shamrok wrote:
    Did you use Babelfish for that Eirebhoy?
    Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hmm mixed emotions

..NAY i would like to see him live once more in paris
    ..YAY better chance of winning .....

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Another one in a long-line of money-grubbing cop-outs IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

great news for us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If this is true then its excellent news for Ireland. He is an absolutely brilliant player who can do unbelieveable things with a football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

gandalf wrote:
    If this is true then its excellent news for Ireland. He is an absolutely brilliant player who can do unbelieveable things with a football.

Have my tickets for the game in Stade Francais booked, hopefully the block booking at Landsdowne will get me a better chance for them. I was looking forward to seeing Zidane play, he was the engine room in the Euro and World Cup winning side and in the Real team that beat United in the CL, he is somebody who can turn a game in a second and that is what people pay their money to see.

However if he can make our top player (Roy Keane apparently) look like a complete arse then I would dread to think what he would be able to do to Matty Holland, perhaps it is a good thing that he is out before this qualifying campaign.

Zidane is not included in France's squad for the match against Bosnia and has officially retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Have my tickets for the game in Stade Francais booked, hopefully the block booking at Landsdowne will get me a better chance for them. I was looking forward to seeing Zidane play, he was the engine room in the Euro and World Cup winning side and in the Real team that beat United in the CL, he is somebody who can turn a game in a second and that is what people pay their money to see.

However if he can make our top player (Roy Keane apparently) look like a complete arse then I would dread to think what he would be able to do to Matty Holland, perhaps it is a good thing that he is out before this qualifying campaign.

I have my tickets for Stade Francais too but I am not getting too cocky, France are more than a 1 man team :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

This has been confirmed! No Zidane to face anyway :D

France coach Raymond Domenech confirmed Zinedine Zidane has retired from international football.

The 32-year-old Real Madrid playmaker follows in the footsteps of former captain Marcel Desailly, and defenders Lilian Thuram and Bixente Lizarazu, who announced their decision to quit internationals following Euro 2004 this summer.

The decision of Zidane and company to hang up their boots marks the end of a glorious era in French football which saw Les Bleus win both the 1998 World Cup and Euro 2000 in an unprecedented spell of success for the country.

Domenech said: "Zidane stops his international career here. I regret it very much because I would have liked him to continue but he had already decided about it.

"He thought about it but now I need to deal with that and would like him to help the young players."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Where can i buy tickets for the France game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

by bye Zidane, wont miss ya in our matches :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Great news for Ireland, this really increases our chances of taking at least a draw from this game.

Advertisement