Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Siemens SX1

Options
  • 11-08-2004 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

I'm toying with the idea of buying myself a siemens SX1, so I'm wondering if anyone here has one, and if it would be worth spending €400 on?
    I've been looking around for 3/4 months now, with the Nokia 6600 and the SX1 being my two options (I'd love to get the 7610, but it's a wee bit over my budget). The SX1 looks far superior than the 6600, and from the reviews I've read, it has many advantages, not least the ability to upgrade firmware via the Internet when Siemens release newer versions.

My intention is to spend somewhere between €300 and €400 on the handset, as I've just switched over to Meteor pre-pay (after being an O2 bill pay customer for seven years), so a sim-free version is essential. I see that club-siemens's webshop are selling the SX1 for €333, a very attractive price. Only problem is that they are in Germany. Has anyone here bought anything from them in the past? and if so, could they be recommended ... was the phone an English model, was the language set to English, was the charger a 2-pin or 3-pin, and what about the instruction manual?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    -Ciaran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I've got the SX-1, had it pretty much since it came out.

I do like the phone, the MP3 player being the best part as it's a real good mp3 player, and differently from the 6600, the sound is in stereo. Furthermore, its tri-band, and as I travel to the states once or twice a year for work, its really handy to have a tri-band phone.

I am thinking about selling it now though, reason being that I am getting a phone from work, and they are implementing new policies about camera phones and bluetooth (as in they will probably not be allowed).
    Also, I just bought an iPod mini, so I don't really need the mp3 part anymore.
    Haven't really decided yet, but I might sell you mine if you are interested, still have to think about it.
    If I sell it, I'll probably want about 250euros for it, but that will include the two 128Meg MMC cards that I have, as well as the 32Meg card.
    Anyways, haven't decided yet.

In any case, I'd say it is a great phone worth buying (even if you don't buy mine :) ). Sound from the mp3 player is excellent, and the radio reception is good too. The only thing I'd complain about is the camera.. it isn't really that good.

There are also tons of apps for it, and lots of things you can buy if you like playing around with accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

ferryman wrote:
    Only problem is that they are in Germany. Has anyone here bought anything from them in the past? and if so, could they be recommended ... was the phone an English model, was the language set to English, was the charger a 2-pin or 3-pin, and what about the instruction manual?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
    -Ciaran

It's probably an EU version, so prob has English, German and French.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Akula

Would be very tempted.... but is the keypad layout crazy for texting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Try here only 333 plus 6 quid to send over from germany.

Eóin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Akula wrote:
    Would be very tempted.... but is the keypad layout crazy for texting on?

Keyboard layout is the same on all of them, in europe atleast. If it supports english, you will not notice any diffrence at all between buying it in UK/Ireland or Germany.

Only problem might be the manual, but I believe you can download it anyways...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ferryman

only 333 plus 6 quid to send over from germany.

Where does it say 6 quid? I thought it was around €50 (with COD to Ireland), bringing the total to over €380. Looks to be a bit lower with bank transfer, but it's a bit messy to start doing that kinda thing. Siemens in the UK are selling it for £249 including delivery (to a UK address I think), I'd rather get it from them than from Germany...

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭eoinm1

Hi Ferryman

Yes the price of postage seems to have changed since I last looked at it.
    Sorry for the incorrect post.

Eoin

Advertisement