Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bugler... here is what is wrong!

Options
  • 25-04-2001 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Virus Warning
    Posted by: QIX |DEV|
    on 25-APR-2001 13:13:42

Note: The virus mentioned below *cannot* be spread by playing Tribes 2. It is in no way connected with Tribes 2 or any Tribes 2 files.

There are reports of a virus out there causing problems in people's WSOCK.dll or winsock.dll.

If this is affecting your system, you *may* see the following error message when playing Tribes 2:

Error Resurrecting Texture Cache.
    Possible Cause: a bitmap was deleted during the course of Gameplay.

If you see that message, you should scan your system for viruses immediately.
    </font>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Funny,I actually am doing that right now! I'll let you know if it throws anything up.
    I have heard of 2 virii allegedly responsible for these errors : the hybris virus and the CiH virus or something.

Thx for the continued help Hobbes.You're like the lawyer in Carlitos way smile.gif (leave out the bit bout where he later betrays carlito big time)

Scan didn't find anything frown.gif

I'm on the verge of conceding defeat.

Ok,the virus reared its ugly head last night.
    The sans I ran didn't find anything,but soon as I tried to run T2 post-scan i got the warning box.The bad news is that McAfee can't clean or delete the files,whichappear to be randomly created or something! Its a different file each time.but always in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.
    I can't find the infected files manually or by using search either.When I try to delete the file when prompted by McAfee it says it cannot,and to check write protection on the infected file or something like that.Can't clean em either,or can't move them to diff folder.Anyone have ideas on how to sort this? Or should I just format? Would a reinstall of windows do the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

to continue this acros two threads, reinstalling windows will do nothing, only a deletion of ALL virus files will have an effect, go to properties in explorer and make sure you've set it to SHOW ALL FILES, look on the internet for info on the virus, someone has usually found a way to beat it already, check the registry too for the filenames you're getting and delete keys if you have to, try the symantec on line scanner and see what it says ( www.symantec.com ) and need I say make sure McAfee is up to date in every way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

go to www.mcaffee.com
    Then search for the virus. They give detailed instructions on how to remove every virus you will ever get.
    quozl

• Advertisement
Advertisement