Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some tips for piloting from someone who knows

Options
  • 24-04-2001 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Some things erk me. I see good pilots but some of you's haven't played with all the features of the ships.

All ships
    You want to cripple your ship really fast, just keep on full thrusts while firing. Guaranteed to be blown out of the skies.

Shrike
    1. If you have full energy you can outrun missiles by dropping to ground level and hitting full afts.

2. If you plan to be up in the sky for long periods, bring a repair kit and repair your ship.

3. It is not a plane. You can pull some serious moves which don't apply to normal craft. Example if your being chased press backwards and afts and some other move (up, sidestep).

4. If you have to ram another ship make sure they hit the belly of your craft. You will always die if you hit the belly.

5. ELF and shocklances will cripple or kill you easily. Learn what players like them and stay the hell away from them (eg. Jaggah).

6. Bombers are more dangerous from below or behind (if they have a tailgunner).

7. Shrikes have almost limitless range with the gun. If you want to take out nme assets fly to just within visible range and then zoom in and level up your ship with the target and fire.

8. The best way to cripple a good pilot is to keep them on the ground. smile.gif (sobs whoever did that to me)

Tank
    1. Can survive serious amounts of punishment from players who aren't in crafts. Either Mortor or run the suckers over.

2. Don't run your tank into missile range of the enemy base. You will die.

3. If you get close to the base, it is sometimes good for the driver to get out and laser point for the gunner if it's safe to do so.

Bomber
    1. Tailgunner should have Flares!

2. The following packs are best for tailgunner.
    - Sensor Jammer. Stops Base turrets from locking onto the craft. Doesn't stop players locking on.
    - Repair kit.
    - Ammo Pack (with heavy) gives you 18 flares.

3. Tailgunner should also have Blaster, Chaingun + missiles to stop attacking Shrike. If a Shrike is chasing you can get an easy missile lock if the pilot flies in a straight line.

4. Learn to use the Laser Pointer! The bomber can mark a target for the pilot by using the laser pointer. First fire in the direction you want to go then fire at the target you want to attack. It will leave a massive red target where you fire. Bomber then switches to Bombs and the pilot should try to fly the moving target over the painted one.

5. Don't drop bombs at low altitude.

6. Tailgunner should never use ELF or shocklance while in the craft.

Transport
    Quite possibly the most underused ship. This is not a transport ship. This is a kickass gunship. Load it out with heavies (some with tailgunner related items) and your virtually unstoppable. Excellent armor and reasonable speed.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 24-04-2001).]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Vialli

sound tips boss..and they should observe our l33t skills as bombers too eh boss? tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

hmm i wonder why this was posted...

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Well it is very hard to type DONT GO INTO THE BASE! in time before the tank blows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Nice tips Hobbie... :P

TIP: Don't try to fly a shrike into Heavy Defending Hobbes... You'll only miss.

TIP: Don't jump out of a craft if its about to blow up, you'll only get caught in the blast and die, if you're in the ship while it blows up, you don't die (Usually).

TIP: Flag runs in shrikes: Always bring loads of flares, fly slowly, jump off at low allitude now and again, throw some flares, jump back on, etc., etc... Works sometimes. biggrin.gif

TIP: Do the same as above with a Hover Cycle

-Dark-Angel-

[This message has been edited by Dark-Angel (edited 24-04-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭CH

the blues brothers... a clasic smile.gif

• Advertisement

I APOLOGISED FOR THAT ALREADY biggrin.gif and i suffered from redjack when i crashed the bomber, thats why i had to leave wink.gif One can only learn from one's mistakes.

Blues brothers, a classic indeed biggrin.gif

It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

HIT IT!

Here is another tip.

For the Pilot, learn to use freelook! I have this tagged to my extra mouse button.

Also if your in hunting or escape mode go to third person view, for attacking go to first person view.

If your a bomber/gunner scan the whole area. The pilot may not have that ability so it's up to you to find threats.

To loose another shrike on your tail drop to low altitude. The shrike can't attack withou dropping to that altitude and it then becomes a chase.

Oh dropping to low atitude where there is no rocky terrain defeats the purpose. I've seen people drop to go under bridges or under water, I normally just sit high and wait for them to come back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Vialli

another good tip is:

use med armer when piloting..in this case ya can stay alive after your hit by a turret and stay in green smile.gif

Cheers lads biggrin.gif
    I'll become uber-l33t overnight wait till ye see wink.gif

HIT IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭CH

If im taking the role of bomber pilot, I usually do the following:
    • Open up the CC.
    • Place one wapoint on the enemy base.
    • Place one waypoint on the enemy vehicle pad.
    • Get the bomber and crew together.
    • Head off to the side of the enemy base and then turn in towards it
    • Line up the 2 waypoints on the approach.. so the bombardier gets to bomb both the base and vehicle pad on every pass.

I find it helps

• Advertisement

Actually if you use the laser pointer in the Bomber, it creates a special waypoint marker that allows the pilot to line up exactly with the target at extremly high altitude. Well beyond visible range.

The target beacon created by the Bombers laser pointer also changes for Shrikes into a "lead in" target. This allows Shrike pilots to fly at full speed and aim without having to guess where the bullet is going to hit.

Very few people use the Laser pointer in the bomber because they think it's just a normal laser pointer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

well here is summit i found out when i was messin around. Its not a tip and it wont help you in any way but here it goes.

>When in water or about waist deep you can fire a missle without having to lock on to anything.

oh and got a Q why is it when you place a spiderclamp turret in some places it doesnt work!! wats with this?

Advertisement