Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Novels

Options
  • 11-08-2004 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I've Just finished reading Watchmen,

can anyone recommend me something of a similar style please ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

V for Vendetta, absolute classic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭voltamadan

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Prometheus, (alan moore basically)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Any of the Hellboy TPBs are great.
    Marshal Law TPBs are pretty cool as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Epitaph

Any of the Lucifer or Sandman graphic novels, but they'd really have to be read in the correct order due to the complexity of some of the plots and some of the characters popping up without much explanation of who they are (in the later ones).

Oh, and the Preacher series. Bloody mental, but very enjoyable.

Planetary TPBs if you can find them, I know that there's at least two out now, think Easons have them. Absolutely brilliant, very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

never read watchmen myself, though been meaning too

some reccomendations anyway:
    kabuki
    fables
    h-e-r-o
    y: the last man
    batman: hush
    the darkness
    rising stars
    hellboy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 smartcard

I've only ever read one graphic novel - Alien Vs. Predator and I can't even remember which one it was although it was excellent. Considering I'm a big Sci-Fi/Fantasy fan what's a good graphic novel to get back into the scene with? I've been thinking about trying to get some Star Wars Tales of the Jedi TPBs?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

Most of the stuff mr Brian Michael Bendis is good, hes doing/done some daredevil stories and Fantasic four, also Powers, Torso, fire, are all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

I'd go with Torso, I think that's one of his best books.

Try some Warren Ellis stuff as well

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'd suggest Dark Knight Returns and Give Me Liberty...oh, and Transmetropolitan. Can't say I'm that fond of Preacher after reading Ennis' run on Hellblazer, but it's worth a look anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

Well, if you liked the whole "Superheroes in the real world" angle, I'd highly recommend, the reprints of "Zenith" books 1-5 by Grant Morrison. Problem is, they're all (I think) out of print! Still, if you can get hold of "The Best of 2000 AD Monthly" numbers 99, 100, 110 & 111 you'll be able to read Phases 1 & 2.

Obviously "Dark Knight Returns" is a must...and Miller's stuff on Daredevil, reprinted (partly) in "Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller Vols 1-3" is much loved.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Another good hero in the real world is the Authority. the run by Ellis is excellent, the Millar version goes to utter rubbish (claims of lots of editor interference by that stage)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Err..

I'd add the complete New Statesmen. Think it's out of print but you could probably get it from milehighcomics or mycomicshop.

Speaking of Watchmen, ever since the early 90's there have been rumours of it being made into a film. I think Arnie had the rights for it for a while. Seems like Darren Aronofsky (Pi, Requim for a Dream) is going to be making it next year (see imdb).

Jude Law seems interested in the project. From Empire magazine:
    Empire sat down with Law recently to talk Sky Captain And The World Of Tomorrow.
    During our chat, Law revealed that he used to be an avid comics collector — which is a surprise, given that Law is good-looking, slim and has a girlfriend. "I still go to comic shops, Forbidden Planet and look through back issues of the ones I love," he told Empire. "I was a big fan of Johnny Nemo and Strange Days, Parallax, you know those? But I haven't gotten into anything recently, not like I did with From Hell and Watchmen."

With that in mind, we mentioned that Law — with his dashing good looks, blond hair and movie star charisma — would be perfect for the role of Adrian Veidtaka Ozymandias, a former superhero and the smartest (and richest) man in the world, who becomes a key player in Watchmen's twisting plot. So we told him that there was a movie on the way, directed by Aronofsky.

"Darren Aronofsky? I'm on the phone NOW!" said Law, clearly excited. "Adrian Veidt, King of Kings!" And then, as if to show off his Watchmen fanboy credentials, he whispered conspiratorially. "I'm tattooed with Rorschach, did you know that?"

Err.. wrote:
    During our chat, Law revealed that he used to be an avid comics collector — which is a surprise, given that Law is good-looking, slim and has a girlfriend.

Typical broad swipe from the cack-fest that is Empire magazine. "Let's lazily play up to the stereotype that all comic fans are fat, spotty, nerdy loners!"

B*stards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Err..

Typical broad swipe from the cack-fest that is Empire magazine. "Let's lazily play up to the stereotype that all comic fans are fat, spotty, nerdy loners!"

B*stards.

After over 10 years of collecting comics and working in the software industry I've learned to ignore these types of stereotyping. That, and the fact that I'm a fat, spotty, nerdy loner ;)

Err.. wrote:
    After over 10 years of collecting comics and working in the software industry I've learned to ignore these types of stereotyping. That, and the fact that I'm a fat, spotty, nerdy loner ;)

Not that there's anything wrong with fat, spotty, nerdy loners. I'd happily see a mob of them storm the offices of Empire Magazine before emerging with the editor's head impaled on the end of some adamantine blade or other. Mutilation is too good for those blockbuster-lovin' hacks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Back on topic lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 allyourbase

I liked electra, it was cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭mwnger

Definitely read Batman: Year One. I prefer it to Dark Knight Returns (but I'd still recommend that as well). Also From Hell - it's not super hero but anything by Alan Moore is a must read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Frank Miller is quite the man.
    Dark Knight Returns
    Batman: Year One
    Ronin
    Elektra and various other Daredevil graphs

To a lesser extent he has also done Sin City and *cough* Dark Knight Strikes Again.

I also quite like the partnership of Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale as seen in
    Batman: The Long Hallowe'en
    Batman: Dark Victory.
    Those are both followups to Year One basically.
    They also did Daredevil: Yellow which is quite the read aswell.

I can't remember off the top of my head who did Superman: Red Son but it is one of my favourite TPB's of recent time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

D-Generate wrote:
    To a lesser extent he has also done Transmetropolitan and *cough* Dark Knight Strikes Again.

...Evidently not the Transmetropolitan I've read, by Warren Ellis and Darick Robertson. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Lol oops
    Meant Sin City

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

An absolutely fantastic graphic novel that I'm not sure is in print anymore (it's a while since I collected comics) is Button Man. It was originally in 2000AD, it wasn't sci-fi but a really dark detective story. I'm going to give it a read tonight.

I think 2000AD did a sequal to it but I never read it (too expensive to buy every week).

There were 2 sequels to Button Man in 2000AD. I think the second one made it to a trade, not so sure about the third.

D-Generate wrote:
    I can't remember off the top of my head who did Superman: Red Son but it is one of my favourite TPB's of recent time.
    Mark Millar I think. something I've been meaning to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Draco wrote:
    There were 2 sequels to Button Man in 2000AD. I think the second one made it to a trade, not so sure about the third.

were they as good as the first one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

they were all pretty similar if i remember correct. Therefore good.
    Again, Id recommend Any Hellboy comics. you can even read some of em online at www.darkhorse.com/hellboy Read "Almost Coloseus" (spelled that wrong)
    there are so many Graphic novels out there that you are better starting at the Big Classic ones and working your way from there.
    the first alien Vs Predator, the first Batman V Judge Dredd, Batman Year One, The Maxx, Hellboy : Seed of destruction, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I,d recommend the authority graphic novels and the miracleman books but make sure and get the ones scripted by alan moore.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

the second part of button man is currenty not out, still only book one is on sale.
    but hopfully book 2 is out , soon i really enjoyed it the first time around, just dont have the issues it was in anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Nemici

Not that there's anything wrong with fat, spotty, nerdy loners. I'd happily see a mob of them storm the offices of Empire Magazine before emerging with the editor's head impaled on the end of some adamantine blade or other. Mutilation is too good for those blockbuster-lovin' hacks!

LOL - this is the best (and most truthful post I have read in months)

Bravo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement