Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Gates the funniest man of the universe

Options
  • 11-08-2004 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3554084.stm

i like these two paragraphs
    Microsoft's new software - dubbed "XP Lite" - will feature lower resolution graphics and limited options for networking computers together.

It will also limit users to running three programs concurrently - a far cry from the full version of XP, where the only practical limit comes from the speed of the computer and the size of its memory.

3 programs at a time ffs what are they thinking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

When will the madness end? What next? Office 2003 Lite - you can run one application at a time, and only modify one document a day? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Memo:

To: Bill Gates

Hi Bill,
    I've thought of a brilliant new idea for rolling out Office in Asia & China, going on the same theme of XP Lite how about we ship Office Lite?
    Some features of it:

- run one application at a time,
    - only modify one document a day

I've thrown it around and the guys think its a great idea and that it will help the piracy situation alot
    so what do you think?

:P
    I'm sure they already have it planned...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

why would you even bother waisting your money on this lite version load of cr*p :rolleyes: :rolleyes: bill gates

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Microsoft's new software - dubbed "XP Lite" - will feature lower resolution graphics and limited options for networking computers together.
    Couldn't they just put an "All New and uber Sexay" sticker on a few unsold copies of win3.1?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They're flogging this to the Thai (and other asian countries) government to try to stop them moving to Linux apparently.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/11/winxp_starter_edition_announced/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Is'ent it also to stop warez copies, I personally can't see this stopping warez copies or switching to Linux
    Its far to limited to be of any use to most users...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Its called patronising them until they buy better. Either way they're throwing egg in their own faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

And this is suppose to combat linux being used for an os ? hmmm Is it not doing the opposite, I mean there giving out an operating system the defies the main purpose of any other operating systems in multitasking.

Do the three apps running together include a firewall or antivirus program running in the background.

I think people in asia will be using a lot more of linux if this kind of crap is it's competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

i think MS see it this way: they'll probably pay $30 a pop to keep that familiar windows interface and so forth with less functionality, versus paying whatever it costs to train people to use <insert alternative here>.

train?
    eh, most people don't get trained on windows yet they can use it much the same applies to Linux.
    Simple test, install whatever linux distro you want and setup KDE and boot up the PC and get someone to sit down and use it and they most likely will be without any problems.

Fact is kids learn fast and kids will use whatever they can more easily get there hands on, if thats Suse or RedHat or windows (pirated) then so be it.

• Advertisement

Perhaps for the simpliest of uses this is true. But when it comes to setting up programs for use Linux is usually exponentially more complex than Windows, as Linux generally requires a greater understanding of program dependencies than is required in Windows (usually have the right version of DirectX installed).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'd rather an OS that combined the ease of use of windows with the flexibility of linux. :(

Something easy to use and flexible enough to meet your every need?

Should it be hot as well as cold too?

Something easy to use and flexible enough to meet your every need?

Should it be hot as well as cold too?

Yus!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Fenster wrote:
    I'd rather an OS that combined the ease of use of windows with the flexibility of linux. :(

Install KDE.

:p

I'd ditch Windows entirely if I could ever get Wine working.

Advertisement