Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want Broadband ? Vote for it in your area

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

By the power of Greyskull!...Stickied at Damien's request.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Just took a look at the site, what a load of crap! It has my area wrong anyway. Its missing alot of DSL providers. (Ballinteer)

So I checked Dundrum out.

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/BBInfo/ServiceByLocationSearchWF.aspx

It has eircoms email adress wrong and its phone number is 123456789!!

Its a nice idea but it really needs regular updating

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Keep going with the feedback folks. I hope to pass the information on to someone who looks after the site and get it updated on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Dublin South, Knocklyon is wrong too. We've had DSL and NTL available for ages and IBB don't provide a service here because of the lay of the land...

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

You have successfully voted for Broadband Services in Kinnegad, Co. Westmeath
    You are the first person to have registered their demand in your area.

Tell your friends and associates about this site.
    /Quote

Me waits for Viking to get all Nordic like, rampaging accross the countryside :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Personal request: Any chance one of the mods could link all the stickies in one "IrelandOffline & Internet Access Information & Links" thread. I'm on 1280x1024 and the active threads are halfway down the page, I dunno what it must be like for the poor feckers on 800x600.

I'd be happy to do it meself btw, I'm just not gonna do it if ye're gonna tell me to feck off. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭-Toppy-

In addition to that government site, If your exchange is a trigger exchange that hasnt been upgraded yet, It would be worth your while visiting dsltrigger.eircom.ie and adding your details to it.

-Toppy-

Just spoke to Peter in the DMCNR and he is now aware of the issues with this website and they are looking into it. I'll update you all when I get more information about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

-Toppy- wrote:
    In addition to that government site, If your exchange is a trigger exchange that hasnt been upgraded yet, It would be worth your while visiting dsltrigger.eircom.ie and adding your details to it.
    No offence Toppy, but the eircom trigger website is a disgraceful sham, the triggers are set at completely unrealistic levels.

Eircom have no intention of upgrading any of these towns, heck I don't even think the numbers update when you register on that site!

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sztraik

The trigger says I'm enabled while the dsl checker says I'm not... confused!

• Advertisement

Sztraik wrote:
    The trigger says I'm enabled while the dsl checker says I'm not... confused!
    This means that your phone line is connected to a DSL enabled exchange, however you are either too far away from the exchange or your line is in too bad a condition to support DSL.

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sztraik

Thanks viking, it makes sense as in the trigger it says I'm in Coolock while I'm in Raheny, it must be far then. Oh damn! I just moved from Clontarf where I had Netsource for more than a year, I'm broadband addicted now!

viking wrote:
    No offence Toppy, but the eircom trigger website is a disgraceful sham, the triggers are set at completely unrealistic levels.

Eircom have no intention of upgrading any of these towns, heck I don't even think the numbers update when you register on that site!

viking

Yep at first they didnt, but I rang up about the start of summer about it and let fly (2 hours on hold) (eircom biddie: Whats this trigger program) me: its a commitment from eircom to enable communities if a level is reached))

I am petitioning 3 of our local schools and am sending letters home with all kids for parents to do so. I reckon we can make the trigger level here. (404 is our level)

Cheers
    -Toppy-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

-Toppy- wrote:
    I am petitioning 3 of our local schools and am sending letters home with all kids for parents to do so. I reckon we can make the trigger level here. (404 is our level)
    I suggest you read the Comwreck site to see how the trigger levels were derived. Most of the trigger levels I have personally analysed are set so high that 70-80% of all homes and biznisses in an area would have to register .

As you are somewhere in Cork you may be interested in a more direct method of getting DSL . Ballyvourney in West Cork, an exchange so small and remote it did not even get a trigger level set for it by Eircom , will get ADSL by next year despite not being a town with 1500 people or on the Trigger levels site .

Eircom were simply paid €85k to do it, up front of course . The exchange will be enabled by March 2005 .

HTH

M

-Toppy- wrote:
    (404 is our level)

Probably the only thing that the website will display.

Getting the trigger level by using schools is a great idea. I think this could be used by other people. However I wouldn't trust that site. What I'd do is get them all to fill out a petition which meets or exceeds the trigger level and send a copy of it to Eircom and to the Dept of Comms and to Comreg.

-Toppy- wrote:
    404 is quite high (where abouts are you and what is your 2002 Census population?), Kinnegad's was informally set at 100 and then raised to 304.

Don't forget that eircom will require 404 account holders (not ordinary individuals) to express an interest before they will add your exchange to the build programme. Even at this point you could be waiting 6 - 12+ months before the exchange is upgraded. And then of course you'll encounter the usual raft of line failures, poorly maintained infrastructure and other exciting hurdles that will make you wonder why you thought that eircom would be your saviour.

My advice would be to send out the letters to the parents and ask them to express their interest in broadband but don't mention Eircom, be technically/commercially netural. Tell them their details will only be passed onto a provider who gives a firm commitment to bring broadband to the town. When you have established a decent level of demand you now have "Buying Power", start contacting local wireless companies with a view to making a joint application for GBS Funding which equates up to 30% funding for capex in Cork.

If all goes well you should have a broadband service a lot sooner than you would if you were waiting on the incumbent.

Viking

Thats a good idea Damien, Ill add that to my list.
    There are a few journos in our area too, so if they dont supply the dsl if when hit the target a few phone calls will ensure the s*hite will hit the fan ;-)
    -Toppy-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

viking wrote:
    404 is quite high (where abouts are you and what is your 2002 Census population?),
    Since when has the Census aligned itself with the areas covered by telephone exchanges?

The census figures are not necessarily a good guide to the accuracy, or otherwise, of eircoms trigger levels. The only truely relevant numer for comparison is the number of lines served from a particular exchange, and I don't know that that information is readily available anywhere (it's certainly not available from the CSO).

Ripwave wrote:
    The only truely relevant numer for comparison is the number of lines served from a particular exchange, and I don't know that that information is readily available anywhere

Let us find out then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

What good is the government web site? It says only satellite and Eircom are available in Sutton, where I live, and I have UTV. It says only satellite is available in Howth, which seems a bit unbelievable to me too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Yoda wrote:
    What good is the government web site? It says only satellite and Eircom are available in Sutton, where I live, and I have UTV. It says only satellite is available in Howth, which seems a bit unbelievable to me too.
    If eircom says that DSL isn't available in Sutton, then the government website isn't going to contradict them. (I'd guess, though, that the exchange that you're connected to isn't the one that serves most of Sutton).

The site is not up to date as the ISPs have apparently not been answering the requests for pricing and availability updates by the website editor. I've offered the help of IrelandOffline to keep them up to date. Let's see what they say.

Ripwave wrote:
    Since when has the Census aligned itself with the areas covered by telephone exchanges?

Since eircom used it as their basis for their DSL rollout plan in Dec 2003, all towns over 1500 (according to 2002 Census figures) in population are to get their exchanges enabled by March 2005. The ones below that Census threshold got trigger levels set, as we all know.

It doesn't seem right nor fair, but they decided to use it. Eircom obviously have the figures for number of lines in each exchange and the number of fails/passes for each exchange, but we don't know if these numbers were used in setting our beloved triggers or not.

My reason for asking Toppy about the Census 2002 figures was purely out of curiousity and to give us an idea of the relative enormity of the task ahead of him with a trigger level at 404 eircom account holders.

Viking

Ah thats an interesting question now viking, the thing is around the vicinity of ringaskiddy you may not know there is quite a large build of pharma companies.
    I have already been talking to some fairly senior people in some of these companies explaining how it would "a good thing" (these companies love nice PR)
    for the community to get broadband. Recently money was needed for schools etc, and once again the PR machine was in full flow. So I will go as fair as I can before going to them but will be definately using them as the final shove to Eircom :D
    -Toppy-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dinos

have moved to wexford from dublin - way down south, near quite a large commercial centre - wellingtonbridge.

this isnt one of the triggers and they have no plans to add it anytime soon. guess we will have to look at other methods... :confused:

Advertisement