Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Manchurian Candidate

• 11-08-2004 7:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Did anybody see the newer version? It was awesome. I was literally freaking out the entire time. It was stressful! Probably because it didn't seem like that much of a stress. There's so much technology out there that we're not aware of, who says we don't have people that are being completely controlled?

Maybe Bush is a sleeper...

Either way, the movie was intense and the performances were awesome. Meryll Streep was EEEEEEEEEEVIL. You literally couldn't take your eyes off her. And Liev Schreiber was so good. You couldn't help but feel sorry for him. And Denzel was awesome as usual, you could definitely see his desperation and paranoia.

This movie was especially timely in this heated pre-Election period. Just shows how heated politics are and how important it is to get out there and vote (and how far groups will go to put candidates that share their interests in office). Check out this site, for some hilarious Jon Stewart election stuff. The Election vignettes are great. Tell me what ya think!
    http://195.172.204.132/imredirect.cfm?Ref=Indecision&VID=2278&CID=1&TID=415&UID=20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Yeah, excellent movie - one of the better ones I'v seen this summer.
    The movie is so intense and brutal. Some of the scenes in it are truly horrifying
    the flashback to the lab where they were told to choke/shoot each other was scary ****. The doctor was a complete freak - reminded me a lot of the caretaker in "The Shining".
    The peformances were some of the best I'v seen in a long time. Meryll Streep was the biggest surprise for me. As was said already that woman is EVILLLLLL yet she just thinks she's doing what's best for her little boy - which makes it even creepier.
    that moment when he's hypnotised and it looks like she's going to kiss him was just sick, what sort of a mother is she
    Denzel does a fantastic job of playing the "man that no-one else will believe".
    Liev Schreiber is another stand out. I'v only ever seen him in the Scream movies before and wasn't sure what to expect from him but he'd played the part so well. BIG SPOILER>>>>
    From the trailers and early in the movie you see him as the antagonist, the bad guy, but as the story reveals itself you see that he is a pawn not only to the Manchurin guys but to his own mother. He really is alone and has no control over his life. If you don't feel sorry for him by the time you realise this you will when he kills the love of his life without batting a eyelid - on his mothers command of course.
    The supporting cast were also very impressive.
    I loved how the film was shot and how the story unfolded. It's takes most of the film for all the pieces to finally come together before you see what's being going on. The way that bits of the story is revealed in a series of flashback was refreshingly good. There was a real grainy, homemade movie feel to the flashbacks which was very effective - not to mention the graphic nature of the flashbacks.
    Go see this movie.

Btw, has anyone else noticed the standard of movies this year to be very high.
    So far...
    Spiderman2, Village, Manchurian Candidate, Collateral (excellent movie btw), Bourne Supremacy, I Robot (surprisingly good), Dodgeball, Shrek2, Fahrenheit 9/11, Kill Bill, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them. I found all the movies above to be excellent. I can't remember so many good movies coming out in the space of 6/7 months.
    Granted there are still some stinkers - Catwoman, Van Heilsing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Have ye both seen the original? If so how does it compare? The new one doesn't hit here for another few months (god damn it!)

Haven't seen the original but I'v heard from people who have that the story is similar but it has enough differences to keep you on your toes. Oh and they liked this release of the movie too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Btw, has anyone else noticed the standard of movies this year to be very high.
    Not the ones I've seen and its been lots.
    Lately I've been wondering how some major release films even get made they are so bad.
    For example
    Around the World in 80 days :60 million Cost
    The Chronicles of Riddick : 70 million cost
    The Stepford Wives: 90 million cost
    Catwoman: 40 million cost
    I could go no..
    I can count on one hand the number of decent films I have seen this year
    Kill Bill 2
    Dodgeball
    The Terminal
    I Robot
    hmm..

MisterAnarchy: When they come out in Ireland you should go see the movies I'v listed. Ok, maybe it's just coz I'm in Canada now that I have time to go to all these movies that in Ireland would probably come out when I'm back in college and don't have time to go see as many movies - therefore my delight at the number of quality movies I'v being seeing lately.
    Oh, I forgot Troy. And yes there have been a lot of stinkers this year, but that's the same every summer. What I'm saying is that there have been a LOT of v.good movies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ColoradoGal

Bacchus, which of the films you've seen this summer are "must see before they leave the theater" ones? I've seen F911 but that's about it so far.
    Thanks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bacchus wrote:
    Haven't seen the original but I'v heard from people who have that the story is similar but it has enough differences to keep you on your toes. Oh and they liked this release of the movie too.
    hmm I guess both of them must have seen it when on there visit to the US :D

Advertisement