Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joss Whedon?

Options
  • 11-08-2004 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

So what's this I hear about Joss Whedon writing the X-Men comics? I haven't read them yet, but I thought he was awesome when writing Buffy. He's got a real feel for fleshing characters, giving them a voice and showing their development all the while providing a strong story. Has that transferred to the X-Men?

Also, check out this awesome Jon Stewart site. Comic/political genius. Click the Election vignettes on the right, he's hilarious. Tell me what you think! http://195.172.204.132/imredirect.cfm?Ref=Indecision&VID=2278&CID=1&TID=415&UID=20

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Yeah Joss Whedon is writing a new title, Astonishing X-men. I think it's the best of the crop right now, very reminiscent of what used to make X-men an excellent read. Up to issue #3 now, Terry Cassaday is doing pencails and man are they good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Nathanual

News came in from Superherohype.com that Joss Whedon is interested in taking the helm of the X3 movie, after Bryan Singer left to direct Superman.

So will it be Buffy the Mutant Slayer?

who knows, just an interesting piece of news.

S

Honestly, in spite of really enjoying astonishing X-men, I have reservations about Whedon taking the helm for the next movie. Even in his comic scripting I see definite Buffy echos, and that's not a tone that'll wash well in the current X-movie world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

Perhaps Whedon's touch is a bit out of step with the way the previous two movies have gone, but he's undoubtedly learnt much from the Marvel universe. Buffy's attempts to balance her 'normal' life with her superhero life are pure Spidey after all. And the emphasis on the 'family' unit that is Buffy, Giles, Willow, Xander etc., calls to mind John Byrne's take on the Fantastic four. Whedon's an acknowledged comic book fan and, in my opinion, a very talented witer and director, so I think the franchise is in pretty safe hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

I didn't really like the x-films.

A change of pace'd be nice, imo.

• Advertisement

Perhaps Whedon's touch is a bit out of step with the way the previous two movies have gone, but he's undoubtedly learnt much from the Marvel universe. Buffy's attempts to balance her 'normal' life with her superhero life are pure Spidey after all. And the emphasis on the 'family' unit that is Buffy, Giles, Willow, Xander etc., calls to mind John Byrne's take on the Fantastic four. Whedon's an acknowledged comic book fan and, in my opinion, a very talented witer and director, so I think the franchise is in pretty safe hands.

Yeah I have no problem with Whedon's crudentials, I think if it hap[pened he'd do a great job, but X-men isn't Spider-man, or Buffy, and we could wind up getting a very different X-men movie. That's really all I'm saying.

Not that it would definitely be a bad movie. But Synger really hit the nail on the head with the first two films. I'm not sure taking a spidey-theme to the new one is the way to go.

In fairness to Whedon, he can do more than just teen angst. Firefly was one of the greatest TV shows of the last half-decade.

As an adult ensemble piece, it left the X-films in the shade.

In fairness to Whedon, he can do more than just teen angst. Firefly was one of the greatest TV shows of the last half-decade.

That's actuall;y an excellent point

It's an excellent show, is all.

Don't mind me. I just take every chance i can get to plug Firefly. You'll all get used to it eventually. Either that or you'll get really, really bored. :D

It's an excellent show, is all.

Don't mind me. I just take every chance i can get to plug Firefly. You'll all get used to it eventually. Either that or you'll get really, really bored. :D

I've only seen the pilot of firefly, and I thought it was un-freakin-believeable

Looking forward to the movie, but really want to see the rest of the season first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Didn't Whedon start out as a comic writer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Didn't Whedon start out as a comic writer?

According to the dependable imdb,here

Theres no mention of comics but he was a writer on Roseanne, during the years Becky was a big comic geek, remember the invisibles poster she had on her wall?

Becky? The Invisibles? Really? Wow. Way to go Elliot.

I checked it out, and I stand corrected. Whedon didn't, he was just a big comic nut. In my defence, I got the idea from somebody else, who I shall dutifully hunt down and slap around the head.

Either way... I haven't picked up any X Men (I got disillusioned after Wolverine turned into a media ho') but I certainly am interested. I can honestly say that Fray is the second best comic I've ever read (the first being Watchmen) so I know he can use the medium to it's full potential. And since every major character in the Buffyverse arguably has a Marvelverse equivilant, I'm reasonably sure he can handle the characters well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 say_no

say no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Banned - leaving for reference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭hailtothechimp

I really enjoyed Firefly as well and it's a terrible shame it never got the chance to flesh out the very interesting world it was hinting at (with the 'blue hands' guys etc).

Agree about Whedon's handling of ensemble pieces. He has a real talent for group dynamics and his celebrated wit would be refreshing. As much as I liked X 1 & 2, there was a tendency for the whole thing to take itself a wee bit too seriously. The flashes of humour were pretty lame and corny too.

Interestingly, the lines that everyone remembers from X 1...

Storm: Do you know what happens when a toad gets struck by Lightning? Same thing that happens to everything else.

...were actually penned by Whedon! Of course the delivery totally sucked. If you could imagine Buffy saying it, the emphasis would have been on precisely how lame the 'one-liner' actually was! Thus it would have been like "Um...(shuffles nervously, looks embarassed)...the same thing that...um...happens to everything else...." That would have been funny! The realisation that what was meant to be cool, actually turned out to be a tragically clumsy statement.

Feckin' Singer & Berry ballsed it up though...

All it would have taken would have been a wry smile or a raised eyebrow and that would have been the highlight of the film. Bloody Halle "One Expression" Berry... seriously, only Freddy Prinze can show less emotion in a scene.

Advertisement