Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Modem/Router + New Router + Nat?

• 11-08-2004 10:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

*sorry if this has been asked a million times*

I've had the IOL ZyXel Prestige 623R all working before with bit torrent, msn messenger games, and starcraft with the correct ports forwarded.

Now that I have a new router (smc barricade 7004VBR v2) some of these arn't working.

So how do I get them to work together? Should I turn off the NAT on the IOL modem or just open them and forward all the ports to the new routers ip or my ip.

Only a basic understanding here so any help would be appreciated. Other people in the house want to use messenger games :rolleyes:

Just want to get this bit sorted before I try to configue the new router whose options are a lot different than the IOL's ZyXel.

Thanks,
    Gid.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

if you are using the modem with a router you must follow this for it to work correctly.

To set the P623R-T1 in bridge mode telnet(run->telnet) to the device.

In Menu 1 set Bridge to Yes and Route to No
    In Menu 3.2 turn off DHCP
    In Menu 4 set encapsulation to RFC1483,and set Network Address
    Translation to None
    In Menu 11.1 on the right column set route to no and bridge to yes.

The only thing you should have to do is enable bridge mode and set encapsulation.

Bridge mode implies all other fuctions such as WAN access and TCP/P connectivity are delegated to the other router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

eeeeep, tried center15's method there as it was the only reply.

Was a bit worried there as i had no connection for a while and I not can't connect to the Zyxel through the web or telnet :S and my reset button is broken from ages ago :( but it seems to be working now. Think I'll wait a while to fix it again as I really need the internet for college/work.

The only thing you should have to do is enable bridge mode and set encapsulation
    This is the instructions I was given by Zyxel customer support. I can't telnet or use a web browser to access the config page of my modem when it's connected to the router anyone else have this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

center15 wrote:
    This is the instructions I was given by Zyxel customer support. I can't telnet or use a web browser to access the config page of my modem when it's connected to the router anyone else have this problem?
    When the Zyxel is in bridge mode, there is nothing to telnet to - Bridge mode makes the device simply bridge the IP through, so there is no IP address on the box for you to telnet to. The "WAN IP" that used to be assigned to the outside of the Zyxel box is now made available to the WAN port of your new router. (This is a case where a picture can be worth a thousand words, but I don't have a good picture to point you to :) )

• Advertisement

So in the future if you wish to return the modem to its previous settings, is that possible with out the reset button? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Gideon wrote:
    So in the future if you wish to return the modem to its previous settings, is that possible with out the reset button? :D
    If the unit has a serial port (unlikely, in this day and age), then you can use that. It might also be possible to do something with the USB connection, but I've never used one of these devices, so I can't say for sure.

So in the future if you wish to return the modem to its previous settings, is that possible with out the reset button?
    As far a i remember there's an option to reset all the settings in the config page or you could upload new firmware and that would erase everything. This would always erase your pre-installed IOL settings which the reset button doesn't so make sure you write then down.

No to reconfigure the ZyXel you connect the the ethernet cable into the computer rather than the new router.

This works even when it is in bridge mode. When you do this in bridge mode the only thing you can connect to is the ZyXel. So connect it up and bang in your ZyXel's IP address.

I only know this cause I fouled up when connecting my Linksys wrt54g to the ZyXel. :rolleyes:

Its a bit of a pain to disconnect everything just to reconfig a ZyXel in bridge mode. I'm sure there is an easier way. But then again you should only have to set up the Zyxel once.

Gideon, I'll post a screen shot of my Zyxel config when I get home.

ah righty thats grand. I was just curious, if I'm ever selling it or getting rid of the other router. I have no plans to do that right now, but theres no harm in knowing.

By the way have the new router all set up again, and have the fabled green light back on my torrents and everything is working now again.

One thing that I will say about this SMC router is that it won't let you input a range of ports!!! You have to enter them individually and theres a max of 20. Which kinda sucks. I have the trigger port setting working for the applications I have but I think its far from ideal.

• Advertisement

Ah right.

Does ur router have a DMZ feature on it? Its dead handy

Ive only one main computer so I just put it in the DMZ and tune my personal firewall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I was searching for an answer to my issue, and I found this thread.

I have a zyxel 623R on IOLBB and in Routed mode, everything is fine. When I make the suggested changes, although I can ping the router (from my firewall PC), but I can't get data in or out.

My Setup is:

ZYXEL --- LINUX Firewall --- HUB with PCs.

I thought bridge mode would just pass on all the data to the red interface of my firewall, but no go. I am using ethernet, not USB.

I have this setup running on Clicksilver and Eircom, with different routers.

I would have thought that disabling NAT on the router would do the same thing. Has anyone tried this, or has anyone a similair setup to this?

Regards,
    Rob.

Advertisement